poll: the "like to trade" vs the "forced to trade"

This could be answered when people who think they are forced to trade would learn how to compromise.

Alot of them want an Item as upgrade that is in all mods better than the previous one.
There is no thinking about re-distribution of stats like "hey I found this item that is better than my previous one, but has cold resist and not the fire resist my item has. So I will use this and use the other better item I found for a different item slot that has fire resist instead of cold resist."

Or only 4 of the 6 mods are better and the other 2 are slightly worse. Sometimes you have to make compromises.

“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Jul 24, 2014, 9:16:40 PM
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
This could be answered when people who think they are forced to trade would learn how to compromise.

Alot of them want an Item as upgrade that is in all mods better than the previous one.
There is no thinking about re-distribution of stats like "hey I found this item that is better than my previous one, but has cold resist and not the fire resist my item has. So I will use this and use the other better item I found for a different item slot that has fire resist instead of cold resist."

Or only 4 of the 6 mods are better and the other 2 are slightly worse. Sometimes you have to make compromises.

Do you know lots of people that have this problem or are those sentences only assumptions happening in your head?
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
Your poll is way too binary. I would consider that I like to trade, however I'm surely not here for trade more than anything else (I just quote your definition). And I don't feel forced to trade at all. So I can't answer your poll.

I often see that binary mindset about trading on these forums : if you're not using your own loots only, then you play path of economics/ trading simulator/ lioneye's watch sitting 24/7. Yeah sure.

I'm actually happy to see an honest response from a player closer to type (1).

so, how would you define and describe your approach to trade?

My approach to trading is surely not close to what your guy-type (1) says, which I imagine would spend a lot of time trading. In a few words : 1/ I make a shop with stuffs I consider decent, and I try to sell those thanks to forums and indexers (no chat spam) ; 2/ I search and buy the pieces of gear I didn't find myself to complete my character. Number 2/ is usually a oneshot thing (who needs to buy upgrades on a daily basis ?), and number 1/ takes maybe 30 seconds every now and then. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that use trading without feeling "forced" to do it use it in the same way, and are not flippers/lioeneye's sitters.

Apart from the time consuming thing, I would consider trading as a part of the game that I would surely not choose before monsters slaying (who would seriously ?), but I don't mind trading at all, and sometimes I can enjoy it.
In my opinion (but it's only my opinion), I have no problem looting "item A" and finding it cool that I can finally sell it for around X orbs and buy "item B" that would make my build 100% efficient. For me, it's almost as good as if I had looted item B in the first place, when other people would think it's retarded.
Chris said something similar several times : finding items that could be good for others is also fun, and they made PoE with that mindset. I can easily understand that not everybody would agree with this when they speak about ARPG's, but when they provide feedback about PoE they should keep in mind that when it comes to such core components of a game (here : considering finding things for others and then trading as fun), we are more speaking of personal preferences ("I prefer this over that") than game design improvements ("Trading is bad for the game, remove it and it would be better").

Well said. My shop is the items I find I think I can sell, and I buy things rarely.

"
Morgoth2356 wrote:

My approach to trading is surely not close to what your guy-type (1) says, which I imagine would spend a lot of time trading. In a few words : 1/ I make a shop with stuffs I consider decent, and I try to sell those thanks to forums and indexers (no chat spam) ; 2/ I search and buy the pieces of gear I didn't find myself to complete my character. Number 2/ is usually a oneshot thing (who needs to buy upgrades on a daily basis ?), and number 1/ takes maybe 30 seconds every now and then. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that use trading without feeling "forced" to do it use it in the same way, and are not flippers/lioeneye's sitters.

Apart from the time consuming thing, I would consider trading as a part of the game that I would surely not choose before monsters slaying (who would seriously ?), but I don't mind trading at all, and sometimes I can enjoy it.
In my opinion (but it's only my opinion), I have no problem looting "item A" and finding it cool that I can finally sell it for around X orbs and buy "item B" that would make my build 100% efficient. For me, it's almost as good as if I had looted item B in the first place, when other people would think it's retarded.
Chris said something similar several times : finding items that could be good for others is also fun, and they made PoE with that mindset. I can easily understand that not everybody would agree with this when they speak about ARPG's, but when they provide feedback about PoE they should keep in mind that when it comes to such core components of a game (here : considering finding things for others and then trading as fun), we are more speaking of personal preferences ("I prefer this over that") than game design improvements ("Trading is bad for the game, remove it and it would be better").

Again, trading can be fun, but you can feel forced if other methods are useless/lack some kind of control.

Namely, drops and crafting.

It shouldn't be straightforward, but it could feel better and be more viable.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Jul 25, 2014, 2:19:01 AM
Not trading
To be honest, without trading, I would have 0% interest in the game. Getting good gear is horrible as it is at higher levels. But, getting an upgrade is always an option by buying from another player kept me going.

I like to trade, but i don't feel forced to.

I wont answer this poll, as said by someone else before: too binary and biased
A cup of coffee and shopping some gear on poe.xyz. Good times! :)
I really like to buy upgrades for my characters. It is fun to compare a large set of items and find a set that works as an upgrade. Loot is primarily fun because it has a selling value. A good drop that will sell feels good to add to my shop. I am, if I were to describe myself, a player that enjoys all that poe has to offer. Slaying monsters, leveling, farming, buying upgrades, selling loots, item investments, racing etc etc. It is important to note this, because there is a lot of black and white thinking on these forums. Just because someone likes to trade, it does not exclude that they also like finding upgrades and slaying monsters.

"
It is important to note this, because there is a lot of black and white thinking on these forums. Just because someone likes to trade, it does not exclude that they also like finding upgrades and slaying monsters.

Wrong. Arguing with extremes and generalisation is good Poe form tradition. ;)7
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
Spysong192 wrote:
"
It is important to note this, because there is a lot of black and white thinking on these forums. Just because someone likes to trade, it does not exclude that they also like finding upgrades and slaying monsters.

Wrong. Arguing with extremes and generalisation is good Poe form tradition. ;)7

It is a good tradition in the grand majority of all places where there are any form of discussion. Welcome to humanity and what they do for fun 101 :).
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info