Spectal Throw is not in line with melee

"
Archwizard wrote:

I cannot speak for what others are saying, but my issue with you and your post comes down to the title: ST is stopping you from playing the game. THAT is where your problem is you. You feel it's bad for the game? That's fine, and a post titled "Why ST is bad for PoE" is much different in tone and intent than yours.

You don't like us addressing your issues with playing game due to ST don't set your post up that way.

Well as I said, I don't just think ST is bad. I think it's game breaking in a way that it breaks the balance between play styles.

"
MasterAxe wrote:

have you even played ST EVER? at highend they SUCK, unless you aura them to death, or possibly have a 400+DPS weapon, otherwise there dps is just blah. Then not to mention reflect and most definitely CB, can and will kill you before you may even know it, though the reflect can be worked around, CB is always an OP Killer.

Don't know under what rock you lived the past month but ST builds are one of the best out there.

Master's point hinges on the belief that support gems for ST are weaker than supports for, say, Double Strike. (Double Strike hits for 70% twice, ST for 65% at least twice, often three times, and optionally at range.)

He's not entirely wrong. The supports for true melee skills are stronger than the supports for ST, although in my opinion they don't quite close the gap. Multistrike, Melee Splash, Melee Damage, all very good supports. However, LMP is still a very strong support, and now there is PPAD. For the first few supports, ST doesn't have trouble keeping up.

I can see the argument that, once you reach 6L, the availability of supports for melee skills and relative inavailability of supports for ST does finally start to become noticeable, and the incentive to go melee from a pure DPS perspective seems superficially appealing. However, by the time you can acquire a 6L (other than perhaps Tabula Rasa), survivability is enough of a concern that simply being ranged instead of melee is a huge advantage.

Perhaps more importantly, for all 4L play, ST is by far the superior option, as ST hasn't run out of powerful supports yet. 5L is somewhere in between, but even by that point survivability has become a significant concern.

Altogether, I'd say Master's argument is weak at best, and is mostly based on a view of builds which romanticizes 6L play and doesn't consider the reality of primarily 4L and 5L play.

It was still a mistake for GGG to design Spectral Throw as a primary spam for ranged characters who happen to have non-ranged gear setups. While the occasional ranged strike is an important tool for the primarily melee character, allowing the softening of scary targets from a distance before a risky engagement, the ability to continuously sustain such ranged strikes is the core problem. I stand by my earlier recommendation of giving it a bypassable cooldown (the itemization required to bypass a cooldown with charges means the itemization now qualifies as a ranged setup).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 10, 2014, 4:53:38 AM
Yeah or just get all the incr aura effect nodes and reduced mana nodes to scale damage with auras + crown of eyes.

This is currently one of the most popular builds, therefor my question to Master about the rock
Last edited by Startkabels on Jun 10, 2014, 5:03:27 AM
"
Startkabels wrote:
I want to play as a melee, but when I'm planning my build the final conclusion is always that the build I'm planning is inefficient.

Is the build you are planning/playing fun for you? If it is, than why worry about something you don't want to play?

Spectral Throw works, but after awhile it gets old. It's like playing Zelda where all you have is the boomerang and you can't move blocks or burn trees or collect hearts. I do like the idea of a throwing axe, and ST was as close as I could get in PoE.

If you have a certain skill you want to use, but are struggling to make that skill viable (or efficient) try posting for some suggestions (include whether the build needs to be low cost or not) or check to see if someone has already made a guide.

Now, if you are saying that the potential ease and efficiency of ST is a nagging thought that precludes you having fun with any other build.., well, then I hope you find a way to forget all about ST and find something more efficient that you do like.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
My current build fun? I don't know, I'm using Infernal Blow melee splash now after my Reave character died.

There are not a lot of AoE options for melee builds compared to non melee builds.

That's the whole point I'm trying to make: GGG needs to continue with releasing skills like Reave and Splash, ST was wrong.

Im not struggling making this build "viable" (whatever you mean with that). Its not that Im a noob or something, Ive been playing since closed beta and actually read lots of guides so I know how to build my character.

What I also know is that using ST is so much easier and more convenient to use.

And everything gets "old" after a while, not sure what you're trying to say.
Last edited by Startkabels on Jun 10, 2014, 8:32:39 AM
"
Perhaps more importantly, for all 4L play, ST is by far the superior option, as ST hasn't run out of powerful supports yet. 5L is somewhere in between, but even by that point survivability has become a significant concern.

How is ST superiour? When I play with dual strike (splash + multristrike + melee physical) I just click one time and entire monster pack is dead.
When I play with ST its LMP is not real aoe, I need to spam it for prolonged time to down all monsters.

Leveled with ST one time, didnt like it at all.
Confirm MasterAxe's point - it suck.
Last edited by Stas88 on Jun 10, 2014, 10:21:10 AM
It's definetely the other way around BY FAR.The more links and better gear,the better ST becomes.The less links and worse gear,double strike is better.But the power of top geared low life ST,is unmatched by ANTYHING in the game.The opest thing that existed in the history of PoE.You can to play with some STers to really understand.
Tooltip DPS has nothing to do with the clear speed.
Another problem with ST is... Well I don't know how to put it, but try using any other melee skill without multistrike on a weapon that has <1.5aps. Even with RT, the sync issues in this game makes it feel as if you're still hitting only 70% of the time. Reave in particular is a very notable offender.

Then again, that is a problem with melee skills, not ST... But you get the idea, ST is good because the alternatives are shit without super fast aspd.
True that's very annoying when playing melee, especially in the beginning when you're so slow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info