Spectal Throw is not in line with melee

"
S3ph1r0th wrote:
Fun fact: Double strike does 70%of the base damage and hits 2 times while Spectral Throw does 65% base damage and hits multiple times (more than two) AND at the safety of range.

Balance.

+1
What I believe some people in this thread are trying to say is that they feel melee is under powered when compared to ranged builds. They worry that the existence of spectral throw will hinder any future buffs that melee could get because most buffs to melee would also buff spectral throw. Spectral throw is already one if the best builds in the game and buffing it any further would make it OP.

I am of the opinion that melee is underpowered at the moment and it has to do with the fact that getting 1 shot happens in this game from time to time and the best defense to avoid 1 shotting is to kite enemies and avoid getting hit all together. When I play melee I want to stand and bang with enemies I don't want to kite however the way the game is now it would seem that melee characters are expected to do their best to kite and avoid really big hits the same as ranged characters.

What I would like to see is more micro potential for melee characters maybe in the form of a skill gem. A way for melee to avoid damage without sacrificing a lot of time to kite and close the distance with the enemies again. I want a witcher style fighting system implemented for melee characters that may be impossible but that woild be my dream solution XD
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
The way that the ranged skill, Spectral Throw interacts with melee weapon passives and support gems leaves only one way to improve true melee's feasibility.

An implicit % incoming damage reduction should be added to the true melee skill gems. It would open up more build diversity (nodes other than life) for melee players. ST is still great as a 'ranged melee' attack, and everyone rejoices!
"
What I believe some people in this thread are trying to say is that they feel melee is under powered when compared to ranged builds.

That's a drawback of the - otherwise wonderful - open skilltree.

You can only partly give melee an advantage in tankyness (by "more points investment to get to..."), as even a bow user or a caster can just invest the skillpoints, walk to Marauder zone and grab all the tankiness in the world.

Sure, this could be balanced better than it currently is while still maintaining the idea of an open skilltree, but it is closely related to this concept.

If each class had their own tree, you could simply add a skill for Marauder that does "30% physical resist", or a skill for ranger that does "30% projectile damage".

But as it is, and especially with the horribly designed ST gem (why on earth does that thing return and hit again???), every advantage of melee can be used by ranged characters too... while they still have the obvious advantage of ... being ranged.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Startkabels wrote:
Let me get this straight:

It's pretty fucking obvious ST is a ranged skill, except that this ranged skill is in almost all cases the best skill for any melee build

@all you ignorant people: get it now? See the problem? Damn those fanboys.

Don't tell me I shouldn't use it if I don't like it because I don't.

The problem is that it's dis-balancing the game.

Take this example: GGG releases a skill that clears an entire area with 1 mouse click.

I complain that it's unbalanced.

Fanboys tell me not to use it if I don't like it and not to complain.

Excuse me for the language but do you people even know what the concept of a damn forum is?

[Removed by Support]

I cannot speak for what others are saying, but my issue with you and your post comes down to the title: ST is stopping you from playing the game. THAT is where your problem is you. You feel it's bad for the game? That's fine, and a post titled "Why ST is bad for PoE" is much different in tone and intent than yours.

You don't like us addressing your issues with playing game due to ST don't set your post up that way.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
Last edited by Support on Jun 9, 2014, 7:03:15 PM
Damned right, Arch.
You're asking a Category 1 poster to be a Category 2 poster, Arch. Not going to happen.

As a Category 2 poster, I still say: Fuck Spectral Throw. It messes with another sacred paradigm (melee weapons operate at melee range, give or take) without the due consideration for such a change. What could have been a cool mechanic (I'm thinking the Blademaster skill Crosscutter from Hellgate, but I'm sure there are other examples) became a rampant game-breaking addition simply because GGG didn't seem to stop to think what would happen if you could apply 'projectile' supports to a melee weapon.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 9, 2014, 6:57:16 PM
"

What I would like to see is more micro potential for melee characters maybe in the form of a skill gem. A way for melee to avoid damage without sacrificing a lot of time to kite and close the distance with the enemies again. I want a witcher style fighting system implemented for melee characters that may be impossible but that woild be my dream solution XD

Impossible in a hack n slash game like PoE.plus witcher itself it's in anothoer whole league as a game for me personally.

BTW i do not think melee is underpowered compared to ranged.I think melee and ranged are both underpowered compared to spectral throw,and to some extent wanders.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Spectral Throw is honestly in my opinion the worst idea they ever came up with. It shouldnt be seriously nerfed, it should be removed.

Cast on Crit is the worst!
IGN: SeaLaser
Sea Builds, Characters, Shops, Links & Records:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972683/
"
Startkabels wrote:
I want to play as a melee, but when I'm planning my build the final conclusion is always that the build I'm planning is inefficient.

The reason is Spectal Throw which just offers too much advantage for any melee build. It's the simple fact that it makes your physical melee attack a physical ranged attack that still scales with weapon damage.

The path GGG took with Melee Splash and Multi Strike was a good direction, Spectal Throw is a wrong turn really.

It shouldn't be designed like this and always be more efficient for melee builds. It should be seriously nerfed

have you even played ST EVER? at highend they SUCK, unless you aura them to death, or possibly have a 400+DPS weapon, otherwise there dps is just blah. Then not to mention reflect and most definitely CB, can and will kill you before you may even know it, though the reflect can be worked around, CB is always an OP Killer.
IGN:Axe_Crazy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info