Spectal Throw is not in line with melee

Fuck Cooldowns.

...okay, that was just me being knee-jerky. But in this case I think that's more how a certain percentage of the playerbase feels. Cooldowns are fine *if* you can either bypass them (Flicker, Cold Snap) OR they're in place because the effect of the skill lingers after casting (traps). And I would like to think that GGG won't be resorting to the former too much, given both implementations were sort of backtracks for older, deadlier skills.

As for general reactions to cooldowns, I mean, look at how riled people got when I saw the (possible) player version of PietyBallZ had a cooldown.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 8, 2014, 7:59:33 PM
I agree a lot of players don't like cooldowns. The vast majority of Cold Snap users bypass the cooldown rather than actually playing with it. However, what we're talking about here is something rather huge: converting a melee character into a ranged character. Whenever I make a character these days, I'm always thinking about how to fight at ranged, regardless of what weapon set I'm using, and I always have to tools to pull it off... and although that can be fun from a player theorycrafting standpoint, it feels wrong from a game design standpoint. There are so many skills which I'm not giving any serious consideration. There should be some kind of limit on Spectral Throw to make it either an occasional spam or a more specialized build.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 8, 2014, 8:05:18 PM
"
Startkabels wrote:
I want to play as a melee, but when I'm planning my build the final conclusion is always that the build I'm planning is inefficient.

The reason is Spectal Throw which just offers too much advantage for any melee build. It's the simple fact that it makes your physical melee attack a physical ranged attack that still scales with weapon damage.

The path GGG took with Melee Splash and Multi Strike was a good direction, Spectal Throw is a wrong turn really.

It shouldn't be designed like this and always be more efficient for melee builds. It should be seriously nerfed

A skill you aren't planning on using makes you feel bad about skills you want to use.

Your problem is you. Stop worrying about most efficient and play for fun.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
Sign me in on the ST hate club.Seriously fuck that skill.It is an insult to both melee and other ranged builds.BOWS ANYBODY??????THAT is ranged,not daggers,claws or wands(power siphon is another issue,just not as big).

REmove it,make it uable to crit,make it only usable with 2handed weapons or something.Or remove it :P
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Fuck efficiency.

Spoiler
Am I doing it right?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Fuck doing it right.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
The player is partly responsible for their experience.

It is your own perspective and decisions that limit your experience.

Shagsbeard alt account.
"FullyBlownDaddy"-FullBlownDaddy™
"FillBlownDaddy"-GGG
"FullBlownMommy"-Casual_Ascent
"
"
The player is partly responsible for their experience.

It is your own perspective and decisions that limit your experience.

Shagsbeard alt account.
+1
Dear GGG, please make Mac version
If you don't want to use it, don't use it? I never quite understood the mentality of the mere existence of something somehow affecting your ability to enjoy the other aspects of the game.
Spectral Throw is stupid but it doesn't need to be nerfed to enjoy other melee builds. Stop worrying about whether or not your build is the most efficient thing ever. Otherwise, you may as well stick to min/max cookie cutter builds and prepare to be bored out of your skull.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
I'm also a member in the "Fuck ST Club".
I think it is a horrible idea to introduce a skill that does "melee shooting" (with the advantages of both). But as melee in this game isn't actually that much more tanky than casters or other ranged builds, it's not that big of a deal. Still think it's wrong. ;)

In every ARPG I played, I've always played melee, yolo in, full frontal assault.
In PoE this is maybe not the most efficient thing, but it's definetly not an impossible thing to do.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info