Spectal Throw is not in line with melee

Some people just keep missing the actual point.

It's not so much that ST is OP that makes me say it should be removed.

It's because it's a ranged skill that is pretty much always an improvement for melee builds as the primary active skill.

That's wrong, it's like being more effective using fireball after having specced into melee.
Last edited by Startkabels on Jun 12, 2014, 1:45:29 PM
"
Startkabels wrote:

It's because it's a ranged skill that is pretty much always an improvement for melee builds as the primary active skill.

That's wrong, it's like being more effective as melee using fireball after having specced into melee.

Should get either point blank or far shot added as inherent imo, right now it's just as strong at any range, which means it performs well as both melee and ranged. It should be worse at one and better in the other to really define the skill as more than just melee attacks at any distance.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Spectral Throw is honestly in my opinion the worst idea they ever came up with. It shouldnt be seriously nerfed, it should be removed.

Basically everyone complains that melee is shit, its too hard to play, not enough dmg or defenses etc etc

So someone at GGG thought a good solution to fix is melee is.... to make it ranged, top job there mate.

Well said.
"
Wooser69 wrote:
"
Startkabels wrote:

That's wrong, it's like being more effective as melee using fireball after having specced into melee.

Should get either point blank or far shot added as inherent imo, right now it's just as strong at any range, which means it performs well as both melee and ranged. It should be worse at one and better in the other to really define the skill as more than just melee attacks at any distance.

I think that's a damn good suggestion! The thrown weapon WOULD deal its optimal damage at greater range, since it'd have momentum. You don't throw your sword at someone right in front of you since it just makes more sense to use your physical strength/ability to swing the damn thing, but if you've the skill you'll throw it at someone twenty+ feet away.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 11, 2014, 8:55:45 PM
This is actually already the case. Something would have to change from a dmg value per hit to affect anything.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
This is actually already the case.

It is? How so?

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

It is? How so?

it hits the same enemy a few times before it comes back to you
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
"
VictorDoom wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

It is? How so?

it hits the same enemy a few times before it comes back to you

By default, or by combining it with supports? Sorry, I definitely am no expert here but I don't see ST currently functioning as though it had a point blank/far shot mechanic other than if you hit at ranged, it'll only hit once. I suppose you could also argue it's a dps/time thing: the weapon hits something at mid-range twice 'quicker' than it would something up close, but I don't think that's enough to deter mindless spam of it at all ranges.

I think the goal here is to find ST's place on the melee-ranged spectrum, an equitable position rather than its current domination. Having it as virtually useless at point blank (thus forcing melee usage of...a melee weapon) but effective at mid-range (I'm thinking glacial cascade) seems pretty logical to me. Sure, it means you have to do both ranged and melee nodes for it to work *well*, but that's part of an ARPG, isn't it? Balancing your stats like that. This IS a having cake and eat it too situation.

I think we also need to reach a point where, as my signature suggests, you can't just 'level' with Spectral Throw and then use your 'actual' build 40-50 levels later. That to me seems contrary to what GGG intended when they made respecs somewhat difficult to get.

Sorry if this is a threadjacking, Startkabels, but I don't believe ST should be removed. I say 'fuck spectral throw' as it stands now. I would rather approach it as something that can be fixed than something that needs to be excised. I think it's a cool skill and concept. It's just not implemented in a way worthy of its coolness. Not yet.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 11, 2014, 9:20:51 PM
If you hit the target around the max distance of the throw, you get more "hits" per attack.

E: here's the problem, if they tack on does % less dmg close range, this ruins builds for point blank. As a devils advocate statement anyways. I don't particularly care.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Jun 11, 2014, 10:09:13 PM
Slayer is correct, at the max range where the weapon turns around it spins in place for a couple hits. ST vs. monsters against walls is devastating.

I agree with Startkabels's basic point: you should not be able to build for X and then have skill Y, which isn't even related to X, work better with your build.

However, I also agree with Charan. ST has great potential to be a good addition to the game with some mechanical tweaks and it would be a shame to lose out on that by simply removing the skill.

There have been plenty of additions that were too broadly allowed/implemented (ST, CoC to name two easy ones) that should be tweaked/narrowed rather than just hosed.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info