GGGs reasoning on not making a SFL?

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
lol imagine if there was build variety and some build enabling unique existed. you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

See that's the difference between dress a doll gamer and progression gamer.

I don't want to be guaranteed an item, and in no way do I want to just buy it.

I want to find it, maybe, eventually, but I want to be only gated from content by my own ability to do it. That ability which comes, slowly, from finding gear. If that item itself is keeping me from advancing, I'm still banging at the hardest content I can without it, if I want.

I never feel entitled to gear, only to content and crafting access and that that gear is actually there for me to find or craft.

The funny part the ''dress a doll'' gamers call the players that prefer to grind for their gear ''casuals''. It's quite the opposite.
"
Completed 1 ChallengeMivo wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

In the vast majority of cases, that's not a "can", but a "have to". That's the issue.

But the SFL proponents want to farm their gear, at least that's what they're saying. To me it doesn't matter if I farm currency for a week and buy it or farm the same boss hundreds of times and it eventually drops (D2 model). Or wait, I actually prefer the first method because I can farm wherever I want and find other items due to the non-existance of a loot table.
Bi-laning DoTA-kin. Preferred pronouns: Gee Gee, Eee Zee, No Ree
"
CCR5 wrote:

chaos recipe is slow because amys don't drop
alching amys gives less alchs

What I did was stockpile an entire tab of amulets, and also rings before I'd even start knocking out chaos recipes. And then I'd knock out a crapload of recipes in a few hours. It makes the process a little smoother. Less micro managing, and having to decide which rares you want to ID, or vendor un-ID for 2 chaos. Farm, ID all rares that aren't amulets/rings, stash those. Vendor the ID'd rares for alts. When full tab of rings/amulets then start doing un-ID'd vendor combos. The odds of getting a decent rare - worth 10 chaos or more is very, very unlikely. Probably 1 in 1500-2000. Rares worth 1ex or more are probably 1 in 5000. A rare dropping that is mirror worthy is probably 10x more rare than a mirror itself. With odds like that you're statistically better off vendoring un-ID'd combos for 2 chaos. And its not like you NEVER ID rares, you just don't ID some of them.

When doing lower level maps on teams, I'd only pick up rare rings/amulets just to save space in my inventory. Find a large team running lower tier maps, usually without a buy in, and you can load up rings/amulets pretty quick.
Its 50% likely I'm trolling and 50% likely I'm serious.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on April 29, 2014 11:18 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
lol imagine if there was build variety and some build enabling unique existed. you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

I want to find it, maybe, eventually, but I want to be only gated from content by my own ability to do it. That ability which comes, slowly, from finding gear. If that item itself is keeping me from advancing, I'm still banging at the hardest content I can without it, if I want.

I never feel entitled to gear, only to content and crafting access and that that gear is actually there for me to find or craft.

If you gate ARPG content solely by 'ability', you have to make it piss easy because skeelz don't matter that much in an ARPG. D2 was exactly like that. I prefer PoE's approach to difficulty, a mix of both skill and gear based gating. Else gear doesn't really matter that much and that would be boring.
"
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

The funny part the ''dress a doll'' gamers call the players that prefer to grind for their gear ''casuals''. It's quite the opposite.

Both parties are grinding for their gear, what's so hard to understand about it? Read my post again if you don't get it.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Completed 1 ChallengeMivo wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

In the vast majority of cases, that's not a "can", but a "have to". That's the issue.

But the SFL proponents want to farm their gear, at least that's what they're saying. To me it doesn't matter if I farm currency for a week and buy it or farm the same boss hundreds of times and it eventually drops (D2 model). Or wait, I actually prefer the first method because I can farm wherever I want and find other items due to the non-existance of a loot table.

Which is why you shouldn't be playing in the SFL. There are plenty of realms for your style of play.

I myself prefer not to game with parties who didn't farm their own gear and yet I am forced to or I'm stuck soloing.

If we ever get a SFL, I won't be trying to reason with players and GGG that the other leagues shouldn't exist. The other leagues won't affect SFL.
Last edited by xxSerpentlordxx on April 29, 2014 11:24 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
"
CCR5 wrote:

chaos recipe is slow because amys don't drop
alching amys gives less alchs

What I did was stockpile an entire tab of amulets, and also rings before I'd even start knocking out chaos recipes. And then I'd knock out a crapload of recipes in a few hours. It makes the process a little smoother. Less micro managing, and having to decide which rares you want to ID, or vendor un-ID for 2 chaos. Farm, ID all rares that aren't amulets/rings, stash those. Vendor the ID'd rares for alts. When full tab of rings/amulets then start doing un-ID'd vendor combos. The odds of getting a decent rare - worth 10 chaos or more is very, very unlikely. Probably 1 in 1500-2000. Rares worth 1ex or more are probably 1 in 5000. With odds like that you're statistically better off vendoring un-ID'd combos for 2 chaos. And its not like you NEVER ID rares, you just don't ID some of them.

Oh the 2 chaos recipe is of course worth it if you trade.
That's what's stupid about it.

If you are self found, though, you'd be crazyindacoconut to ever let a ring or ammy of any base above lvl 60 go UNID. And not just rings and ammys, either.

Also, if you are trying to roll maps, stock piling doesn't really work, alchs go as soon as they come, they are the first bottleneck. The only stockpiling would be because of crazy RNG (or is it weighted drops?). I've looted 64 rings before getting an ammy to hand in a recipe. Then other times I can be up to like 20 ammys before I find a ring.
If we had them drop while players were running regular maps then they'd merely stockpile them and occasionally get some free Atziri runs out of their existing play. ~Chris Wilson on fragments.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Find a large team running lower tier maps, usually without a buy in, and you can load up rings/amulets pretty quick.

in the end you're 2x more efficient because unid recipe not because something else
and excuse me i want to id _every_ ring and amy

this is game is largely about gear, remember?
unid recipe is another broken thing

it exists, so players could accumulate currency faster to engage into trading
well 61 pages still not an answer from GGG

i just they just dont seem to really care anymore sence everyone is fastly quitting the game
"
lolbam wrote:
well 61 pages still not an answer from GGG

i just they just dont seem to really care anymore sence everyone is fastly quitting the game

The answer has been posted on page 3 ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info