PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

GGGs reasoning on not making a SFL?

"
Xavderion wrote:
you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

In the vast majority of cases, that's not a "can", but a "have to". That's the issue.
"
CCR5 wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Sounds like butt pain over RNG to me. Legs on a timer? Rofl. The ones saying that aren't gonna say anything when they see 2 drop in the same run.

they have quite a bit of evidence
sorry i'm in not thread finding mood right now, but they state something easily testable

theory it is done so Joe Casual won't feel pathetic compared to Alkaizer

Yeah well I remember I didn't find any drops worth 1ex or more for like an entire month, and then in the same day I found a Soul Taker, Bringer of Rain, Lioneye Glare. Then the next day it was Voltaxic Rift, Void Bringer gloves, eternal orb, and then another Bringer of Rain the next day after that. In the period of 3 days I went from a zero to a hero. RNG is like that sometimes.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 29, 2014, 7:05:08 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
lol imagine if there was build variety and some build enabling unique existed. you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

See that's the difference between dress a doll gamer and progression gamer.

I don't want to be guaranteed an item, and in no way do I want to just buy it.

I want to find it, maybe, eventually, but I want to be only gated from content by my own ability to do it. That ability which comes, slowly, from finding gear. If that item itself is keeping me from advancing, I'm still banging at the hardest content I can without it, if I want.

I never feel entitled to gear, only to content and crafting access and that that gear is actually there for me to find or craft.
Casually casual.

"
Xavderion wrote:
lol imagine if there was build variety and some build enabling unique existed. you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

now imagine D3 RoS with AH...
nothing you wrote would make sense

i ripped in inv and continue in standard
currently the algo is the same:
* farm 4 chisels
* use them on highest map
* use alch
* if roll is crap, use chaos until it is not

* farm piety if you ran out of any currency

chaos recipe is slow because amys don't drop
alching amys gives less alchs

chaos recipe also means less alts and less alchs from shards

alchs for mapping means less alching white bases

new recipe for chisels: obviously helps
until you realize amount of chisels is bounded by whetstones and scraps (3:1 !!!)

more whetstones means collecting SUPERIOR whites (!)

much micromanagement, wow

tried magic/packsize shit in inv avoiding damage mods
i don't think even alts are sustainable with this model
you probably know this if you're in low maps

all the above is done to suck up you into trading to make it more important than it looks

devs can claim, see how much economy we have, it is beautiful
what they are not telling is how much players wouldn't participate in it if given choice

but mapping doesn't give you choice

now you can say, XP and lvl 100 should be hard expensive only for dedicated players
the argument is bogus now with new 2% XP cutoff
because the amount of XP you will get while farming for 4 chisels, 1 alc and couple of chaos is comparable with the amount of XP you'll get from one map

this is especially true for very high levels because 2% in lunaris 3 remains constant

note i didn't mention crafting a single time yet

some questions remain:
* can all the above be made less stupid and complex?
* can something be done with RMT for _real_, you know if for nothing but for fairness?
* can we get achievements which can not be bought from trade chat?
this Atziri 26ex MTX story clearly made "Hardcore game for Hardcore gamers" slogan nothing but a sick joke

Until these questions are answered, SFL thread will continue I guarantee it.

Qarl said "you can play self found if you so choose"

after playing self found in Nem and Inv/SC I can tell Qarl to try it himself and see how far it will get you.
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

I want to find it, maybe, eventually, but I want to be only gated from content by my own ability to do it. That ability which comes, slowly, from finding gear. If that item itself is keeping me from advancing, I'm still banging at the hardest content I can without it, if I want.

I never feel entitled to gear, only to content and crafting access and that that gear is actually there for me to find or craft.

The funny part the ''dress a doll'' gamers call the players that prefer to grind for their gear ''casuals''. It's quite the opposite.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
you could farm for hundreds of hours and not get it because of rng (this is already happening in D3 to some extent). in poe i can at least farm currency for a week and then buy that shit. so yeah there's your D3 gating :)

In the vast majority of cases, that's not a "can", but a "have to". That's the issue.

But the SFL proponents want to farm their gear, at least that's what they're saying. To me it doesn't matter if I farm currency for a week and buy it or farm the same boss hundreds of times and it eventually drops (D2 model). Or wait, I actually prefer the first method because I can farm wherever I want and find other items due to the non-existance of a loot table.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
CCR5 wrote:

chaos recipe is slow because amys don't drop
alching amys gives less alchs

What I did was stockpile an entire tab of amulets, and also rings before I'd even start knocking out chaos recipes. And then I'd knock out a crapload of recipes in a few hours. It makes the process a little smoother. Less micro managing, and having to decide which rares you want to ID, or vendor un-ID for 2 chaos. Farm, ID all rares that aren't amulets/rings, stash those. Vendor the ID'd rares for alts. When full tab of rings/amulets then start doing un-ID'd vendor combos. The odds of getting a decent rare - worth 10 chaos or more is very, very unlikely. Probably 1 in 1500-2000. Rares worth 1ex or more are probably 1 in 5000. A rare dropping that is mirror worthy is probably 10x more rare than a mirror itself. With odds like that you're statistically better off vendoring un-ID'd combos for 2 chaos. And its not like you NEVER ID rares, you just don't ID some of them.

When doing lower level maps on teams, I'd only pick up rare rings/amulets just to save space in my inventory. Find a large team running lower tier maps, usually without a buy in, and you can load up rings/amulets pretty quick.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 29, 2014, 7:18:47 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

If you gate ARPG content solely by 'ability', you have to make it piss easy because skeelz don't matter that much in an ARPG. D2 was exactly like that. I prefer PoE's approach to difficulty, a mix of both skill and gear based gating. Else gear doesn't really matter that much and that would be boring.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

The funny part the ''dress a doll'' gamers call the players that prefer to grind for their gear ''casuals''. It's quite the opposite.

Both parties are grinding for their gear, what's so hard to understand about it? Read my post again if you don't get it.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:

But the SFL proponents want to farm their gear, at least that's what they're saying. To me it doesn't matter if I farm currency for a week and buy it or farm the same boss hundreds of times and it eventually drops (D2 model). Or wait, I actually prefer the first method because I can farm wherever I want and find other items due to the non-existance of a loot table.

Which is why you shouldn't be playing in the SFL. There are plenty of realms for your style of play.

I myself prefer not to game with parties who didn't farm their own gear and yet I am forced to or I'm stuck soloing.

If we ever get a SFL, I won't be trying to reason with players and GGG that the other leagues shouldn't exist. The other leagues won't affect SFL.
Last edited by xxSerpentlordxx on Apr 29, 2014, 7:24:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info