24H Questions (and feedback) to Rhys/Chris/Jonathan/Qarl/..

1)✓ ☛ Any plans to make bigger Ladders (15000 rly low)? Many sites and players use Ladders Standard/HC/Dominion/Nem and 15000 (max right now) very very low, need 55000-150000.

2)✓ ☛ Socketing/Linking/+Quality(Armourer's Scrap/Blacksmith's Whetstone) system rly bad, so bad (special for me). Any plans to improve this? Maybe you don't know, but many players leave bcs of this, they frustrating, when large amounts of currency (Jeweler's and Fusings) disappear for zero benefit - 1000-10000+ Fusing and still not a single 6L? Make real CRAFTING!
Chance for 6l must be buffed, chance for 6S must be way way MORE easy, 4l/4S must be buffed again, after every 10-20 Fusing less chance for 1S/1l, after 100-120 less chance for 2-3S/l and etc. And make buff for orbs drop rate.

3)✓ ☛ Any plans to change party bonuses And buff solo players? Party can have supports,MF,etc etc etc, all aura in game, all curses, all MF+bonus for party, all and everything that make solo nothing compared to party. At least nerf something, for example: no party aura for everyone in radius + never stack aura.
+ when we will see new aura and new aura skill node?

4)✓ ☛ Any plans to buff spell/elemental dmg node? When you will plan nerf all elemental resist monsters and monsters aura + map mods? Right now it's not balanced at all.

5)✓ ☛ MF in game rly broken, its all about MF MF MF MF MF, if you don't have MF (a lot MF) you will never see any drops, special SOLO! Anything you want/plan to change? When you play solo it's hard to "farm" or just see some rares. When you make real drop rate? Shitty drop rate make no sense if player have 30 min - 1,5 hours to play - he will never see any drop if you not change your drop rate. Even who play 10-12 hours still don't see anything, there no drops, buff it.

6)✓ ☛ Why when you have 75% all elemental resist you still can die in no time (0.5-2 sec)? Is it ok? Why elemental dmg from monsters so broken? It's insane broken. Any plans to balance?

7)✓ ☛ When you will balance gems and uniques? Why still nothing changed? Aegis still OP as ****, while many unique almost useless.

8)✓ ☛ Why 100 lvl and 120 skill points max? Any plans to make new lvls and way way MORE skill points (120 was fine in some 90-00's). Or if you rly want so much 100 lvl max, then make more skill points (200-250, not 120).

9)✓ ☛ When we see craft in the game? Not gamble lotto useless wasting all your orbs as is currently the case.

10)✓ ☛ Why not improve survival and protection/defence? Life/ES + armour/eva/elemental resist buff?

11)✓ ☛ When you plan to improve AND buff implicit modifiers on a piece of equipment? Adds 1–4 Physical Damage ring? Adds 2–3 Cold Damage? 4 Life Regenerated per Second????? WHAT? Thats funny joke, but not real implicit modifiers.

12)✓ ☛ Why do you overcomplicate craft when he difficult so unreal? There a lot of useless Item Affix... so many. Please delete them or change. For example: Life Gained On Enemy Death, Mana Gained On Enemy Death, Local Attribute Requirements, Life Gain Per Target, Base Life Regeneration Rate Per Second (LOL AT THIS!) and etc etc. Please delete them or change to make them USEFULL, or even OP.

13)✓ ☛ EXP and EXP penalty on death: Why not make a little easier? After all, it only motivates more and more people will be positive! Why are you so strongly and persistently resist this?? What's the matter?

14)✓ ☛ When you stop nerf and start buff? Little joke, but when you nerf it's affect much more players then you think (not about OP broken Aegis that you never nerf, never ever) and as i see you stop long ago buff content (some minion node look like nerf/change, not buff). If you more conc in buff content that will make more happy players and make more builds.

15)✓ ☛ Loot loot loot... WHEN? I alrdy asked, but it's most important - solo never see any loot/drops... thats not fair. And maybe you add smart loot systems?

16)✓ ☛ Why not buff base movoment speed? As is now its very slow (if you dont have a lot of MS from nodes and perfect boots).

17)✓ ☛ Why Large chests soooooo RARE and drop like 1 magic monster... why so low drop and sooo rare? Whats point?

18)✓ ☛ Any plans to balance map Bosses and dmg from them? They make INSANE dmg and if you not Aegis you MUST skip them, you know that? And drop from them not so rewarded at all.

19)✓ ☛ When you will buff Quality bonuses for all gems? SPECIAL change quality bonus for Aura gems!!!! ASAP!

20)✓ ☛ When you make Mana more viable? You need to invest a lot of skill node + good items to make viable mana. It's rly bad. Buff base mana, mana per lvl, mana per INT.

21)✓ ☛ When you make drops more common, especially orbs. I don't see it as a positive for the longevity of the game

22)✓ ☛ Do you have any plan or way to sort and order the stash. Like the ability to find certain gems by various parameters

23)✓ ☛ Did you plan to delete/nerf some insane bad mods(rolls) on map? Like curse immun, etc.

24)✓ ☛ Seriously. Drop rates in this game are atrocious. I found 1 exalts total in Domination And Standard and I have an 83 and other character in that league..are you kidding? 1 fucking exalt between all characters that high level? Year of playing and only 1 exalt? How you plan to play Self found WITH THAT TRASH DROP RATE? HOW?

25)✓ ☛ Why some guy can have 6l with 1-2 fusing and me/other guys can't have 6l after 10000++++ fusing WASTED? How can it be? Why solo endgame so bad and party OP and insane easy EVERYTHING in game? That's balance for you? You think party MUST have every bonus for each player and MORE drops and easyier/faster farm then any solo?

26)✓ ☛ When you nerf some broken monsters (just for example: Voidbearers) and DELETE from game evangelists? Eva broken as hell, they MUST be deleted from game, they clearly broken. When you nerf all bosses and monsters + nerf elemental dmg from monsters?

27)✓ ☛ Any plans to stop One Shot mechanics? Hm? And maybe you change your policy with secret recipe? Few people keep secret vendor recipes for ages, make tons of orbs with it, GGG is happy about it even if it give those few people knowing the secrets a net advantages in ladder races because of the wealth advantages they get form it. And how much money they got from secret recipes...

28)✓ ☛ Why completely crosses out the original PoE philosophy that made the game so freaking good: FREEDOM OF CHOICE. There always were and always will be builds that are ten-hundreds times more effective than others, but the point of PoE was to have fun with what you want. However, when all these non-mainstream builds become unable to do content, this philosophy goes to trash. Maybe you start to balance support and active gems and gear? There must be a lot of buffs.

29)✓ ☛ When you plan to start balance Rogue Exiles? When? Any data?

30)✓ ☛ Why you so scared to buff content: passive skills, gear, drop rate, drop orbs, chance 6S/6l, etc etc?

PS: RNG gonna kill this game. Many rage quit. Bad loot (i mean NO loot at all). RNG gamble, not real crafting. etc
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Will you fix "DOMINUS" or will it be a massive fps massacre forever thus making game unplayable for many people?

BTW, do you expect people to buy MTX if they cannot even finish normal difficulty because of this technical problem that could easily be fixed?
Racing is far more popular since the additions of EL and Champions. I would like to know how we can get MORE races so that people with jobs can participate in more than one every 3-4 days besides weekends.

I would like to know if quantity will be coming back.

I would like to know if gating of the uniques is going to stay.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
"
RaGoNXIII wrote:
There is something that I would like to be answered.

We have every day posts that ask for a more rewarding system at endgame, specially in terms of good uniques because currently we are overloaded by a lot of low level ones, and late game crafting orbs drop. Its obvious (and I remember someone from GGG saying it) that the drop rates are balanced around an economy, and it punish people that don't want to participate in that kind of things but they are forced to do so (as me) to play end game maps.

It's specially flagrant when you see that new post about those two who first completed all Dom/New challenges, something that they did via multiboxing and flipping.

Any comment if this is being addressed? Or the game will remain as a trade centric arpg game?

This please, and can you please accomodate to the needs of players that don't wish to trade. A player that trades can easily buy a specific unique required for his build, for example. A player that doesn't cannot. If a player that trades wants to divine an item, he has to spend 30 minutes in trade chat to acquire the divines. However, if a player that doesn't trade wants to acquire multiple divines he has to vendor 6-link items or grind for hundreds of hours. Not to mention the drop rates for eternal orbs. It may take thousands of hours to acquire even one, yet players that trade are spending dozens per day. A self-found league with drop rates not balanced around an economy would be very great. Pls!!!
Hey GGG will you ever fix pet AI? When I move too fast my pet sometimes gets left behind. Some times at random it gets lost when I use portals.

I think a simple fix would be for the pet to check its location against its owners, and if outside a certain radius (usually off screen) then have it run back on screen or teleport back to the owner.

It is annoying to have to constantly resummon my kiwi. I love having him around but dispare when he keeps getting lost.
I hope this question makes it into the 1 day time limit.

What made you guys choose to not show what stats a used Eternal Orb restores to? Was it a technical issue? If not, why does the Eternal Imprint not show what it has imprinted? If it is, what sort of technical issue is it, and will it make it to live soon? :)
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
My post will probably be more feedback than questions, but it'd be great to hear a response. A few (lengthy) things on my mind:

1) Tooltips

Spoiler
In a game with so many moving parts, it's essential to have information that's as accurate as possible in order to make good character decisions. A lot of skills don't properly update their tooltip damage to properly reflect the effect of support gems and passives. Explosive Arrow, for example. I understand there are some technical issues because the damage is dealt by the charges and not the skill itself, but couldn't you make some sort of proxy skill (that would take into account bonuses to fire damage, etc.) for the tooltip to refer to?

Perhaps the worst skill for tooltip accuracy is the Concentrated Effect support. It's rarely clear what skills this even affects. I know it doesn't update Fireball damage, because the fireball deals single-target damage, and then area damage is applied as a secondary effect, but why code the skill this way? Why can't it just deal area damage on impact? Does Concentrated Effect even increase the damage dealt to the impacted target, because of how it's coded?

Besides damage tooltips, the character sheet Chance to Hit, Chance to Evade, and Estimated Physical Damage Reduction values aren't very useful. I understand those values can never be perfectly accurate because accuracy, evasion, and average damage dealt varies from monster to monster, but the displayed values would be vastly improved if they dynamically adjusted to the level of the zone the character is in (and defaulted to character level in town). Displaying them based on character level all the time is pretty much worthless.

2) Unique Items

Spoiler
Everyone's favorite subject. Much has been written about how frustrating it is to repeatedly find the same extremely common uniques over and over before finding a useful one. For me, I straight-up vendor something like 80%-90% of uniques I find. The experience of finding a unique has been extremely devalued. One of the things I think GGG has really misunderstood with their unique system compared to D2 is that it's important to give players a means of hunting for specific items. Right now, if a player wants to find a specific unique, the only thing they can do about it is farm whatever zone or boss that will generate the greatest number of unique items per hour. Often this means Piety or Dominus runs, which also has the bad side effect of discouraging players from doing maps. Gating some of the uniques doesn't really help because common uniques don't drop any less often in maps. D2 had all kinds of viable boss runs--Countess for Runes, Andariel for Gems, Mephisto for exceptional uniques and some low base item elite uniques, Pindleskin for a fast/safe chance at any item, Baal for the best overall loot, not to mention Eldritch and Travincal runs. Where are the meaningful player farming choices in POE?

I have some ideas for solutions. Ultimately, the absolute most important thing is to create a unique for every base item type. Personally, I think this should be GGG's top priority. New zones are nice, new monsters are nice, new passives are nice, new skills are nice, but ultimately, items (and uniques in particular) are what will drive the health of the game. Players need to be able to dream about finding something that isn't just a confluence of good mods mashed together on a rare (though that does have its place), especially since GGG correctly understand that the most interesting uniques are build-defining ones. It's also important to do this because GGG owes it to the Diamond Supporters to not make them wait months or years for their item to get into the game. Also, having multiple uniques for the same non-ring/amulet/belt base item is horrible, and extra items should be moved to new base item types, but more on that later.

With a unique for every item type, then GGG can remove the unique item tiers and use the same method of rolling item type as non-uniques, where base items are biased toward the zone level (maybe putting the thumb on the scale a little bit to make some uniques a bit more rare). With so many uniques, the really desirable ones wouldn't become super common. The overall unique droprate could also be lowered, to make finding a unique a more meaningful experience.

3) Using lottery payouts to derive fair 6L Fusing Orb odds

Spoiler
Gonna keep this brief, as post is getting long. Lotteries give information about how much players are willing to pay for 6L certainty. Using math and stuff, we can work out fair 6L odds. There are of course lots of caveats and assumptions, but basically, 6L odds should be increased to something like 0.3%-1.0%. The current odds are something like .09%-.15% which is unacceptably low. At the low end of that rate, 10% of players will need more than 2000 fusing orbs to 6L, and 1 in 1000 players will need more than 4600(!) fusing orbs. It's no surprise that most players think using fusing orbs is stupid, when you consider the opportunity cost of what those orbs could purchase in trade. An increase to something like .5% would see over 90% of players need 500 or fewer fusing orbs, which keeps 6L reasonably expensive but not straight-up unattainable by players who wish to craft them.

4) The cardinal sin of game design

Spoiler
Dramatic heading, yay. Ultimately, the things players complain most about are instances where GGG have broken this rule in an otherwise fantastic game. What is the rule? Don't make your players feel bad and/or helpless. 6L odds, repeatedly finding common uniques, desync, multiple uniques at the same item type, RNG-based progression to higher-level maps (with the majority of solo players not progressing), all of these things break the rule. It doesn't matter what the design philosophy is, whether it's justifications like "not trusting the client" or "wanting an economy" (I don't honestly understand why this is remotely important, as a healthy economy directly conflicts with the loot-hunting that makes ARPG's fun), if you make your players feel bad or helpless, it's not worth it. Gonna cut this short, but here's a brief list (admittedly radical) of how I would fix some of these things:

1) All "currency" is account bound on pickup. Drop rates increased, etc. Trades are strictly item-for-item. Vendors freely exchange currency at a rate akin to current trade rates in Domination or Standard or whatever league seems optimal.
2) Boss drops biased towards certain things. Brutus tends to drop Active Gems, Merveil tends to drop Support gems, Piety can drop maps of any level (weighted toward lower-level maps). Vaal Oversoul drops at least one Alteration/Alchemy/Chaos or better (depending on difficulty)--two levels of the pyramid removed to equalize runtime compared to other bosses. Dominus unique item droprate slightly increased. Map bosses drop at least one Chisel/Chaos/GCP or better (based on map level).
3) 6L odds increased to .5%.
4) Maps can't drop maps more than 2 levels lower than map level.
5) Unique droprate lowered, but item type biased to zone level.

All these changes would give players more control over the loot hunt, allow them to progress through the game, and retain the ability to trade without needlessly killing the game by trying to have a pointless economy.
"

Ok so let's get this party started:

1. @Chris, Erik Or Jonathan: the three devs who are heavily involved in the larger design decisions for the game:

I think that a larger number of players implies a larger team developing the game! I find patchs really slow, i wonder how someone who paid 1000$~ to make an item can wait all this long(I hope all Diamond supporters have their items in game).

Can you please accelerate the process? Hire some good names to help, release a great number of uniques, release many more gems(i know you have many planned for next months/years) and just make an 8-12 leagues where players woulc have a blast playing PoE.

Why not?
Is it just you do not trust outsiders for your baby(poe)?
Or is it just that the way PoE was made does not allow, somehow, more people to be involved in dev?
ps: if players feel they are more connected to GGG team=> more willing to support GGG, in my opinion.

What? Really? PoE is developed at a really good rate.

Rant
Since the release we got quite a few new skill gems, lots of new uniques (some of gems and uniques are lacklusters but mainly they're good), vendor recipes, bug fixes, re-balacning maps and DoTs and minions, new monster type coming and improvements to trading are being worked on etc.

Still waiting on proper PvP tho.

@the devs

Thank you for looking through this mess, if you made it this far.

Are there any plans to balance elemental damage vs. physical damage?

Especially when talking about attacks, physical damage is superior in every aspect: it scales better (with base damage from weapons) and thus is reaching way higher damage numbers. Take into account the ability to leech mana and life without support gems and how armor works vs. resistances (elemental attacks "require" Penetration and Leech/LGoH -gems and curse(s) and is still sub-par compared to physical) and we end up in a situation where going for elemental damage is mostly just a burden.
1H 20m left.

I am going to try to make the impossible possible, my weapons:

-Reddit users get daily new GGG comments while forum users do not.
-Players connected to GGG means players more forgiving+ willing to support.
- "Well, we figure communication is already quite bad, so we might as well ask. Rather than keep these issues to ourselves. "
- Good questions from which GGG can pick up and answer.
-..?

Edit: Locked
http://wideo.co/view/449781379368063514-inexs-journey-for-the-8-stars (Music: Odd Look)
I am the guy behind price check forums yay: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/387787 (i think.)
"Seriously, its a loot game, make the loot DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers"_TugBot_
Last edited by INEXFadeXFHONOR on Feb 2, 2014, 7:35:32 AM
Apparently, blatant lies will get you everywhere. I'll answer some of these, with a preference for questions I actually know the answer to, questions I didn't answer last time, and questions that are properly phrased, formatted, and intelligent.

"
1. (something about uniques, development speed, and hiring more staff? I think?)

We have a lot do, and limited manpower. We're processing as many custom uniques as we can, as quickly as we can, but no, we can't just hire a bunch more staff to help.

"
2. Are GGG devs very careful about adding (notes) and about not making their "hardcore" player base angry?

In general, yes, though in the specific case of friend notes, I think it was simply a case of the information not reaching the right people. It was a change that, while not particularly difficult or time-consuming to implement, had to be done by a certain dev, one who was very busy with much more important features. It was probably already on his to-do list somewhere, but got bumped up in priority when Chris realized the extent that people wanted it.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one here who saw several of those threads and assumed the relevant person had, too, and thus never chased the issue down. It kinda just slipped through the cracks... sorry about that.

"
3. An orb who can be acquired after beating level 100 in a temporary league + accomplishing all challenges Or any relevant hard work.
This orb of awesomness will 6L any body armour or 2H sword and 4L anything else. It will roll max tier rolls randomly on an item.

I doubt it... sounds pretty broken...

"
Pyrokar wrote:
Do you guys even lift?

ofc bro

"
Pyrokar wrote:
Who is the true master troll: Chris, Rhys or Athene?

...lol. You don't have any idea, do you? You're this close and you can't even see it, haha.

"
htblind wrote:
(ermagerd crazy chaos damage question)

After consultation with guru Mark:

For Viper Strike, a skill, all your +increased damage of various types will stack additively, which is all of the mentioned effects other than Vulnerability. The curse will be multiplicative to those but will stack with other "increased damage taken" debuffs such as Shocked. Ergo:

(289.5) * (1 + 2 * 0.2 + 0.3 + 0.59 + 0.67 + 0.1) * (1 + 0.4) = 1240.218

For Death's Oath, which is not a skill but an item aura, your damage stats are not applied, so only Vulnerability will boost the damage in this example (again, Shocked could stack with it).

(450) * (1 + 0.4) = 630

Mark asks you to remember that your own damage bonuses, where applicable, apply before the enemy damage mitigation, which is in turn before "increased damage taken" debuffs. For some types of damage (elemental, chaos) they multiply nicely, but for others (physical) the enemy's defenses (armour) plays an important part and are crucial to determining the final damage numbers.

"
RaGoNXIII wrote:
ask for a more rewarding system at endgame, specially in terms of good uniques because currently we are overloaded by a lot of low level ones, and late game crafting orbs drop.

Lower level uniques can drop from higher level zones, just like non-unique item base types. This is intentional. Sometimes you want a low-level unique with (say) 6 sockets, which requires a certain itemlevel much higher than that of the base type. The Searing Touch, for example, is a popular one.

Also, some uniques are much more common than others. Again, this is by design, and very much in the philosophical vein of most CCGs. Generally, the more common uniques are readily available for trade, or not too difficult to farm for yourself, if that's your thing. The rarer uniques are often sought after, and tend to be highly valued. This is an important part of the trade economy. Even for those not interested in trading, they can be long-term goals, or special treasures that you can hope for, and maybe one day find.

"
danonon wrote:
Could you increase the width of doorways, ledges and everything that's narrow?

We'd actually like to, and in some cases we have done, but there are several cases where this would require a lot of work changing how the level is built. We know it's a problem, and we're trying to avoid this in future where we can.

"
Isbox1 wrote:
1) Do you guys ever intend to have another permanent league with more relaxed drop and craft rates to those that are currently in the game?

No, we have a philosophy that new leagues should only be more difficult (or the same), not less. But we do adjust drop/crafting rates from time to time.

"
Isbox1 wrote:
2) Do you guys ever intend to somehow standardize the craft/loot experience? (AKA: 1 guy spends 1 years worth of currency - 5k fuses - and doesn't see a 6L then buddy next to you 6Ls in 50 fuses.) Do you even see this as an issue on your radar?

6-linking an item is something with very high variance, due to the binary outcome with such a low chance. Generally, the person attempting it should know this; they are rolling the dice and hoping for luck to be on their side. 6-links are supposed to be a luxury item, something to aspire to in the long term, not something that everyone has.

However, it does suck to fail when you feel you "should have" succeeded. There may be ways to alleviate this (note that guaranteeing a 6-link after X fuses is not the solution, because the value of X would have to be crazy high).

"
mazul wrote:
1. Currently many people, specially in hardcore leagues, are often skipping endgame bosses in lv76-78 maps (with the exception of Shipyard and Precinct ones) due to the fact that the bosses are simply not rewarding enough to justify the risk.

We intentionally have map bosses with a mixture of difficulties, and we do want people to sometimes opt to skip some bosses. However, it is quite possible that some are not rewarding enough for their current power level. Of course, some people enjoy them for the sheer challenge...

I could easily see buffs to certain map boss drop numbers at some point, though I don't think we'd do something as drastic as skewing it as much as you suggested.

"
mazul wrote:
2. Currently in act 3 merciless, especially in standard league, the party boards are mostly full of so called "trade parties".

Yeah, personally I hate those. I understand that it's nostalgic for some, but really, they need to die in a fire. Hopefully, the upcoming improvements to trade will alleviate this... but I doubt it'll stop it happening completely. T_T

"
mazul wrote:
3. Currently making your windowed instance of Path of Exile be as a thin "rectangle" as possible, allows you to see far more of the map compared to having a window in the shape of a square.

To an extent, yes. Do this too much and you'll start seeing monsters pop in as you get close to them. I would also like to see this fixed. Perhaps by enforcing a fixed aspect ratio of the viewable area (still allowing arbitrary window resizing, but putting black borders at the edges)...?

"
1) Do you guys plan on adjusting unique levels? Example a unique leather cap dropping off a level 77 zone / map

Not that I'm aware of.

"
2) Are you guys overly cautious of consequences to the playerbase in terms of ''nerfs''?

Sometimes. But it's often better to make noticeable changes, rather than subtle ones, so you can feel the change (buff or nerf). Also, we tend to delay larger balance changes until the end of the current 4-month leagues, when tons of things are changed/added anyway.

"
5) Are you guys happy with trigger gems? CoC? CodT CoS Curse on Hit cast on melee kill?

When we introduced the trigger gems, we knew they'd be scary and require further balancing down the road, because someone would find a way to break them. We're still on that road...

"
6) Do you guys plan on adjusting aura's to have better quality effects rather then a larger radius?

Well, we want there to be some way to control the radius, and changing it based on gem level didn't seem right. Auras are supposed to promote party play, after all, where the radius matters.

"
7) Are you guys happy with Legacy items; Do you regret it?

Mixed feelings, I guess. It would've been nice and clean to simply change all the existing items over at the time, but there were technical limitations stopping us (a long downtime of unknown length). It's not so bad having these "out-of-print" collector's items out there, though. If you compare them to a CCG like Magic: the Gathering, they're kinda like broken old cards from the past that are never reprinted, like Black Lotus or the Moxen. They, too, are quite valuable but cannot be used except in very specific formats of gameplay (Vintage tourneys/Standard league).

"
Antnee wrote:
We had a big debate in guild chat the other day about what custom leagues might look like. I'd like to know what sort of rulesets might be implemented, and what would not be allowed.

Generally, things that make the game harder, not easier. The mods we apply to race leagues would be prime candidates, of course. But we'll probably have some more fancy/crazy things going on, too. We'll consider the requests people make in the Suggestions forum.

"
rainsong wrote:
Do you have plans to make any new permanent leagues or to make any changes to the current ones?

Didn't Chris mention permanent Cutthroat for some point in the future? Also, custom leagues may well count. Kinda longer-term things, though. Not sure on the details.

"
iamstryker wrote:
Are you guys happy with Large chests and Wealth mobs in their current form?

Mmm, not really, imho.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Are you ever going to release information that is currently hidden from the players, like the probability of getting 6L on a white 0% or the vendor recipes that couldn't possibly be guessed?

Nope.jpg

"
TreeOfDead wrote:
Any plans to make bigger Ladders (15000 rly low)?

Y'know, now that I look at it... the bottom of the ladder is still like level 81. That actually bothers me...

"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Why is fishing so hard, and are there any plans to make it easier so that more people get to experience it?

We've considered making the game "pay-to-fish", where you buy extra lures and bait etc. to improve your catch.

"
TreeOfDead wrote:
EXP and EXP penalty on death: Why not make a little easier?

Well, there needs to be some kind of penalty to make people not want to die. We've already reduced the %EXP loss multiple times. If you have ideas for a better system, post them in the Suggestions forum.

"
TreeOfDead wrote:
FREEDOM OF CHOICE. There always were and always will be builds that are ten-hundreds times more effective than others, but the point of PoE was to have fun with what you want.

Well, you don't have to be able to steamroll endgame content in order to have fun with a build. You can have plenty of fun while you actually play through the game.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
1: Can you define what hardcore means to GGG and how it pertains to POE?

That is... a really, really good question. Hmmm, I need to think about this.

OK. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

A game that is "hardcore" is one that "rewards investment"; this is a level of depth, and one that has multiple facets. Right now, I can think of four main aspects to it: time, knowledge, skill, and emotion.

~Investment of Time~

This is shallowest form of depth. Of hardcoreness, if that's a word? Players become invested by the sheer amount of time they have spent. They are rewarded for spending lots and lots of time playing the game. Often, their progress (whatever it is) is directly or indirectly a measure of hours played. Kill X goblins. Collect Y rocks. Accumulate Z experience points. If these tasks require "mindless grinding", then you are investing time when you complete them.

Many MMOs exploit this, of course, requiring huge amounts of time investment in order to reach (and explore) the endgame. Some people love this; some people don't. Some people are proud of their progress, and boast to friends or fellow forum-goers of their time well-spent attaining virtual glory. They're flagrantly hardcore. Others view their progress as a thinly-veiled representation of all the time they've wasted on that stupid game. And some people do both.

Path of Exile rewards time investment, as you've probably noticed. Of course it does. In fact, there are multiple ways in which it does. The most basic being is the XP/level grind. Just by looking at a character's level/XP, a savvy player can estimate the amount of time spent on it. But... even that most basic grind isn't so simple. When someone at the top of the ladder in Hardcore dies, they have to start again from scratch. Yet, the very same person who died at level 90 can come racing back to the top of the ladder (or near the top) again on a new character quite quickly. Clearly, they didn't spend the same amount of time grinding as before. There must be something more to it.

Note that RNG-based systems fall into this category, because players must invest enough time to ride out streaks of bad luck in order find good luck. The randomness simply obscures the correlation to time spent and makes it more fun.

~Investment of Knowledge~

Another way to achieve depth and make a game hardcore is reward knowledge. This where players can progress, or progress much faster than normal, by acquiring knowledge about the game and its systems. Discovering shortcuts, synergies, combos, secret levels, etc. Whereas investment of time most often yields more progress and content, investment of knowledge often results in increased speed of progress.

Another form of this is complexity. By offering up complex systems, players can invest knowledge and learn the optimal paths, the most efficient combinations of moves, etc. that may not be obvious at first glance, even if all the information is there.

In Path of Exile, we have several such systems. The most immediate is the passive skill tree, which is notoriously overwhelming at first glance. It often takes people several characters before they learn how to build effectively for endgame. But we have other, more subtle systems in place, as well. The vendor recipes are a prime example. You can generate a great deal of currency by simply knowing about the GBR 3-link recipe that yields a Chromatic Orb, and regularly checking the shops for cheap equipment. Even subtler, is knowing the best places to grind EXP during a ladder rush. By investing in knowledge, by learning about the game, you can make more efficient progress and gain wealth.

As another example, in a fighting game, you can look at the combo list, but you'll need to learn those combos off by heart if you want to become good at it. Or if you can't (or don't know to) look at the combo list, you'll be at a severe disadvantage compared someone who does know all the moves.

Of course, simply knowing what the moves are isn't nearly enough. You need to be able to actually pull them off. You need skill.

~Investment of Skill~

Some games allow - or require! - an investment of skill. Fighting games, for example, require players to learn and master a variety of moves for every character, if they want to beat the game, or beat other players. This is closely tied to investment of knowledge, but is quite distinct because it is about learning not what to do, but how to do it. This often involves acquiring the muscle-memory to perform a quick sequence of actions, but it can also involve puzzle-solving techniques.

Some puzzles are solved through knowledge, but some are solved through skill. Any puzzle that involves a random initial state will necessitate learning not the solution, but the method by which the solution is obtained. You may know how to solve Sudoku puzzles in general, but you may still struggle with a particularly difficult one. This is something of a grey area, I will admit, between knowledge and skill.

Path of Exile rewards investment of skill. Some bosses require quick reflexes, or careful usage of projectiles or curses. Any monster with energy shield requires some skill, to not let it regenerate. Monsters with reflect auras often require a far more careful playstyle, and reward players (by not killing them) who carefully manage their damage output and healing. Using granite and ruby flasks at the right times is another example.

And, of course, there are races. When players are competing with each other, skill is absolutely vital. Knowledge is, too, but skill is very important. Yes, there is randomness of drops, which are also vital, but that just means skill and knowledge are be-all and end-all. It gives those aren't the best of the best a fighting chance.

~Investment of Emotion~

So the last point I want to cover is regarding the investment of emotion. This one isn't exclusive to games; TV, movies, books, theatre, even music, they also take advantage of this. By having compelling characters and plotlines, interesting stories and worlds can draw in the audience - or the player, in the case of a game - and get them emotionally invested. This isn't necessarily hardcore, in and of itself, but it can be. Ohhhhh, it can be.

Consider Trekkies, Bronies, Whovians, all the die-hard fans of Naruto, Spiderman, Batman, Lord of the Rings, Jane Austen, the Beatles, Justin Bieber, Halo, Call of Duty, Diablo, etc. etc. Are they not hardcore? They're totally into their respective fandoms/cultures/cults, some beyond reason, even. They are all emotionally invested, and woe betide anyone who disagrees with them over the internet.

Much more so than the others, emotional investment is its own reward. Some people like to mindless grind, to kill time. Some people love to learn about new things or master new skills. But everyone loves a good story. It's a great money-earner, too. By getting people emotionally invested in the story, it makes them want to finish the movie/book/game, and it makes them want to buy/play the (inevitable?) sequel.

So with all that in mind, how could a game be hardcore because of emotional investment? Is it even possible to NOT reward emotional investment? You might cite Mass Effect 3, but even so, most people thought that game was great up until the ending. But therein lies the answer.

Games that require emotional investment to the story are hardcore. What kind of game is that? Well, the immediate genre that springs to mind are Visual Novels. They're all about the story, the characters, the plot... literally! If you hate the story, you're not going to finish one of these games. Unless you're masochistically trying to prove something, I guess. The same goes for "movie games" such as Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. It isn't the tangible gameplay that makes you want to progress, is the story. If you love the story, you'll love the game and finish it. If not... you probably won't do either.

Path of Exile is not terrible hardcore about the story. It is very easy to skip virtually all the NPC dialogue, and there are no cutscenes. There is actually quite a lot of backstory and so on scattered around, if you choose to look for it. Environmental lore, optional NPC dialogue, unique and quest item flavourtext. But this is something we are not "hardcore" about.

So, that's four ways I can think of through which games can be hardcore. There may even be others. I think most hardcore games use a mixture of them, though. I know we do.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
2: How long do you think you can keep financing the current iteration of your game that only caters to "hardcore" players.

Financial forecast is good. We're in this for the long haul, baby.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
2b: After seeing the hardcore players sell all their gear and move on to new games, never to return; how will you convince the casual players to come check out your game again if they've had a horrible experience that drove them away the first time?

Uh... I think I see where this line of questioning is going...

It's natural for some people to grow tired of a game after a certain amount of time. Similarly, some will come back after a while to see how things have changed. And we'll be here for them.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
3: Will you ever allow for the modding community to make their own versions of POE? So that we can fix some of the mistakes ourselves and make the game more fluent.

Yeah, nah, bro.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
4: How exactly do you see this tight-fisted forumcontrol work out for you in the long run?

Hah. Better than how the wild, wild west (read: cesspool of trolls) it used to be was going.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
5: Why does your game and every other Diablo 2 clone have such a huge, huge focus on itemwalls and itemrequirements for progression, whereas Diablo 2 had a focus on skills-progression where items were used as a focus of perfecting a character.

Well, you can beat the game with crap gear and good skills. NotRegret proved that by doing it only magic items.

Yeah, we do focus on loot, I'll admit. It's just one of choices we made when we sat down to design the game. We aren't trying to copy Diablo 2 exactly, though. We took the bits we liked, from D2 and others, and combined everything into the most awesomest meatshake we could come up with. And of course it wasn't perfect; the first draft never is. So we tweak the recipe and we tweak it and we'll keep on tweaking it.

"
Hyskoa wrote:
6: When are you getting rid of RNG as a system of progression? It simply doesn't work.

Yeah... Figured this'd pop out at the end.

PoE may not be the prettiest, most considerate baby on the planet, but it's our baby, and we will foster it the best we can and raise to be the best, meatiest meatshake it can be.

"
Lachdanan wrote:
Will we meet more of Doedre´s lore in Highgate?

Yes.

"
frowningprawn wrote:
Would you consider employing high-level players?

Already do!

"
SDCA wrote:
Wasn't there a GGG member who went by the name Max, I remember him playing a lot in closed beta and he was very good at "perking" everyone online up and creating a fun atmosphere, if I don't have his name wrong what happened to him?

Max left us to go back to Germany. He was only here on a working holiday.

"
Moonlight33 wrote:
Will you fix "DOMINUS" or will it be a massive fps massacre forever thus making game unplayable for many people?

Er, yes. Hopefully.

"
Reddit users get daily new GGG comments while forum users do not.

What. WHAT. You must be trolling. There are like 20+ GGG posts here every day, and I'm not counting Support. Reddit gets, what, three? If that?

Also, please don't schedule the thread lock for during the middle the night, NZ time.

~

Mmmkay, I didn't answer every question but fuck I've been at this for 7 hours now and it's past 3am so yeah bedtime for me. Hopefully I didn't just write anything completely stupid.

P.S. please don't quote this entire frickin' post. It will be edited out.
Code warrior

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info