24H Questions (and feedback) to Rhys/Chris/Jonathan/Qarl/..

"
reboticon wrote:
My questions regarding Races, Quantity and Gated uniques were all overlooked. WHY YOU DO THIS, RHYS?!

I got a PM from Rhys, he ROFL'd to me about your questions, then proceeded to describe how much he hates you. I would repost it here, but am too classy....

Spoiler
LOLZ, I kid. I think your questions re: race scheduling was spot on.

Re: Quantity removal in current 4 month leagues: Could this have been done as way to add "difficulty" to the temporary leagues, something else to separate them from Standard? I mean, it isn't as if IIQ does not exist at all, just not in the temps. Rhetorical statement is rhetorical.

EDIT: While I can appreciate that at least one GGG staff took the "bait" and replied to this obvious troll of a thread, I would have advised against it. By replying, you have done nothing more than provide fodder to be taken out of context so that the "Negativity Squad" can spout their filth and use your words to back it up.

Tangentially - I am so much going to buy the upcoming "Fly-Rod Supporter" pack. I hear the Creel skin is totally OP.
Last edited by Sinnesteuer on Feb 3, 2014, 10:14:14 AM
"
Mmmkay, I didn't answer every question but fuck I've been at this for 7 hours now

No wonder you guys can't get anything done. :O

Just kidding, thank you for the informative post!
"
Rhys wrote:

"
htblind wrote:
(ermagerd crazy chaos damage question)

After consultation with guru Mark:

Spoiler
For Viper Strike, a skill, all your +increased damage of various types will stack additively, which is all of the mentioned effects other than Vulnerability. The curse will be multiplicative to those but will stack with other "increased damage taken" debuffs such as Shocked. Ergo:

(289.5) * (1 + 2 * 0.2 + 0.3 + 0.59 + 0.67 + 0.1) * (1 + 0.4) = 1240.218

For Death's Oath, which is not a skill but an item aura, your damage stats are not applied, so only Vulnerability will boost the damage in this example (again, Shocked could stack with it).

(450) * (1 + 0.4) = 630

Mark asks you to remember that your own damage bonuses, where applicable, apply before the enemy damage mitigation, which is in turn before "increased damage taken" debuffs. For some types of damage (elemental, chaos) they multiply nicely, but for others (physical) the enemy's defenses (armour) plays an important part and are crucial to determining the final damage numbers.

Does it mean Other devs will not take part in this?

Many other questions are waiting:
"
reboticon wrote:
My questions regarding Races, Quantity and Gated uniques were all overlooked. WHY YOU DO THIS, RHYS?!

Qarl? :P

"
Rhys wrote:

"
Reddit users get daily new GGG comments while forum users do not.

What. WHAT. You must be trolling. There are like 20+ GGG posts here every day, and I'm not counting Support. Reddit gets, what, three? If that?

Also, please don't schedule the thread lock for during the middle the night, NZ time.

It's maybe just a 'lack of Chris' who gives us this feeling:P ( Who need Chris when Rhys is here..jk)

"
Rhys wrote:

Mmmkay, I didn't answer every question but fuck I've been at this for 7 hours now and it's past 3am so yeah bedtime for me. Hopefully I didn't just write anything completely stupid.

P.S. please don't quote this entire frickin' post. It will be edited out.

I enjoyed reading it all, especially the "hardcore definition"
http://wideo.co/view/449781379368063514-inexs-journey-for-the-8-stars (Music: Odd Look)
I am the guy behind price check forums yay: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/387787 (i think.)
"Seriously, its a loot game, make the loot DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers"_TugBot_
Last edited by INEXFadeXFHONOR on Feb 3, 2014, 10:38:02 AM
Thank you for your honesty and openness Rhys. Much appreciated.

I guess what I read was you guys aren't adverse to making a "standardized" loot/craft experience... I think you also semi-acknowledge there is a problem with the current RNG system - at least that was my take on it... but it is the system you currently have and that is difficult to change without massive impacts.

I'm interested on what's on the burner now... I'll for sure be staying tuned.
I'd also like to spread love for your time taken Rhys.
Thx a lot for the responses Rhys, you the men!

I do have a question about your response sir.

"
~Investment of Time~

This is shallowest form of depth. Of hardcoreness, if that's a word? Players become invested by the sheer amount of time they have spent. They are rewarded for spending lots and lots of time playing the game. Often, their progress (whatever it is) is directly or indirectly a measure of hours played. Kill X goblins. Collect Y rocks. Accumulate Z experience points. If these tasks require "mindless grinding", then you are investing time when you complete them.

Many MMOs exploit this, of course, requiring huge amounts of time investment in order to reach (and explore) the endgame. Some people love this; some people don't. Some people are proud of their progress, and boast to friends or fellow forum-goers of their time well-spent attaining virtual glory. They're flagrantly hardcore. Others view their progress as a thinly-veiled representation of all the time they've wasted on that stupid game. And some people do both.

Path of Exile rewards time investment, as you've probably noticed. Of course it does. In fact, there are multiple ways in which it does. The most basic being is the XP/level grind. Just by looking at a character's level/XP, a savvy player can estimate the amount of time spent on it. But... even that most basic grind isn't so simple. When someone at the top of the ladder in Hardcore dies, they have to start again from scratch. Yet, the very same person who died at level 90 can come racing back to the top of the ladder (or near the top) again on a new character quite quickly. Clearly, they didn't spend the same amount of time grinding as before. There must be something more to it.

Note that RNG-based systems fall into this category, because players must invest enough time to ride out streaks of bad luck in order find good luck. The randomness simply obscures the correlation to time spent and makes it more fun.

I read the whole part but wanted to highlight this. And ask a question about this.

Would the balance team consider the current balance in-game functional when it is possible to have no luck in an entire 4 month league?

I agree with you that time ensures you will encounter both luck and bad-luck if given plentiful of it. But is it functional for the game to have instances where somebody has simply no luck for 2 league's in a row, while somebody else simply has never experienced
bad-luck at all?

I am aware this is functional from an economical perspective for GGG. But is this being discussed on the office? And if so what would be idea's around this subject that are being suggested?

Thx a lot for the response already Rhys, hope i get a response in a next session of answers :D.

Peace and GGg on sir's.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
reboticon wrote:

LOL xD. I would like to see those questions answered too, maybe the next time.

----

"
Rhys wrote:
"
RaGoNXIII wrote:
ask for a more rewarding system at endgame, specially in terms of good uniques because currently we are overloaded by a lot of low level ones, and late game crafting orbs drop.

Lower level uniques can drop from higher level zones, just like non-unique item base types. This is intentional. Sometimes you want a low-level unique with (say) 6 sockets, which requires a certain itemlevel much higher than that of the base type. The Searing Touch, for example, is a popular one.

Also, some uniques are much more common than others. Again, this is by design, and very much in the philosophical vein of most CCGs. Generally, the more common uniques are readily available for trade, or not too difficult to farm for yourself, if that's your thing. The rarer uniques are often sought after, and tend to be highly valued. This is an important part of the trade economy. Even for those not interested in trading, they can be long-term goals, or special treasures that you can hope for, and maybe one day find.

I really appreciate the time you spent answering all those questions, specially how detailed you explain each one. You guys should do this again from time to time!

While I agree with you that those low level ones should drop everywhere, they drop too often. Don't you think that the "unique" word is a bit damaged when, running with 0 IIR/IIQ, you have around 10 Ignomons amulets in your stash? Man, I love low-level uniques, you can see that I make new chars again and again and those items are pretty helpful, I'm just saying that the mid-tier uniques should drop a bit more and low-tier ones a bit less at the endgame.

I have enough wealth to buy myself some of those 1-4 exalts uniques, as I did with Doon & Astramentis for the Irow Will FP Marauder I'm planning. But is not the same as looting a good mid-late game unique yourself and think, "Hei, this is nice, I'll create a new build around this and I'll be able to wear this at level 60, I will destroy maps with it!!". There are a lot like me who think that is better to obtain your items by killing monsters instead of flipping currency and playing the supermarket. And you can see that this topic is discussed again and again in general forums.
♠RaGoN♦
Last edited by RaGoNXIII on Feb 3, 2014, 11:21:00 AM
Just – Thanks =)

(btw. enjoyed your elaboration on "hardcore")
Erenor / Kaenro / Xharos / Darksidious / Apoorman / Tarparina

To see whether I'm currently online: poestatistics.com/users/erenor
That was heroic
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Thanks for the responses and for not being as dismissive as in the last Q&A. Really does a lot in terms of giving the player some type of assurance.

Obviously you guys are aware of all the complaints there are about the game and RNG balance, from reading your responses. I hope to see some slight changes introduced with the new league, and if not now, then sometime in the future.

One question I have, and I'm not sure if it'll be responded to at this point, but it's the following: If the game is balanced around a four-month turnover period for the leagues, are you content with what players are able to/not able to achieve in that short amount time? For example, for the majority of us it's impossible to have long-term goals for something like 6L equipment or crafting our own uber weapon, as we won't get it in time, meaning we can only expect to achieve this in a permanent league. And there's many of us that don't even want to entertain the thought of playing there due to the economy, legacy items that break PVP, etc.

Also, have any of you tried to play the game as a normal player day in and out, with a set goal like 6Linking or crafting? Or have you hired anyone to do it? Because one thing is reading about the frustration on the forum, while another is actually living through it. I don't disagree with RNG, but I think the emotions and expectations of a player should be considered when balancing everything.

Good luck getting the expansion ready!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info