Combat is annoying me

"
anubite wrote:
As for the OP, stop trying to deny it. You're definitely a troll. There's no other reasoning for your behavior given your comments ("ARPGs take no skill" "I'm primarily a fps player" "spells should auto-hit" etc). We don't have to prove anything considering it's the burden of proof of the initiator to bring up their points AND cement them with evidence people can either critique or agree with. It's not up to us to disprove your points, it's up to you prove your points better first.

Already gave numerous reasons for why visible health bars are needed. Maybe if you had bothered to read any of the posts you are referring to, you would know that.

It also amuses me that half the posters in this thread are claiming point blank that targeting is absolutely perfect, while the other half are saying that GGG have already acknowledged the issue and are working on it.
There's egg somewhere, now we just need to find out where.
Last edited by Imbalanxd on Dec 9, 2012, 11:56:17 PM
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
Already gave numerous reasons for why visible health bars are needed. Maybe if you had bothered to read any of the posts you are referring to, you would know that.

It also amuses me that half the posters in this thread are claiming point blank that targeting is absolutely perfect, while the other half are saying that GGG have already acknowledged the issue and are working on it.
There's egg somewhere, now we just need to find out where.

Visible health bars (i call them floating health bars because we all ready have visible health bars) are not needed IMO, do you want them? yeah you have made that clear. Either way you should be saying "I want" or "i am suggesting" visible health bars. You are coming off as hypocritical calling us all elitists but then saying "the game needs this or that". I think a lot of the problem here is your rhetoric and choice of words. I will concede to the fact that if added health bars can be toggled id go for it, personally I think they break immersion but if you individually need them then more power to you.

and..

I just do not understand why targeting is still a topic here (not singling you out but referring to the masses here). You are right in that the issue has been acknowledged by the developers but the targeting issue is more a symptom of the BETA then a design flaw.

So as far as that's concerned id say its one of those hey lets drop it subjects.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 10, 2012, 12:24:23 AM
"

I just do not understand why targeting is still a topic here (not singling you out but referring to the masses here). You are right in that the issue has been acknowledged by the developers but the targeting issue is more a symptom of the BETA then a design flaw.

I never said it was a design flaw, I said there was a problem where 30% of my accurate clicks would not be registered, and that it needed to be fixed. Then some boys of the fan variety began to state point blank that there was absolutely no such issue, and that I must be terrible at gaming in general.
"
Torin wrote:
I must add this topic is one of the worse I seen on these forums. A lot of people were attacking OP directly and telling him to go play D3 from page 1. That was not OK.
I was reading from start, he tried to ignore this for a short while and then also joined in the "festivities". I would call this moderation failure topic, this should have been stopped a long time ago.

True.

I do have an opinion on this myself - namely, that having health indicators both sufficiently informative and sufficiently unobtrusive (while not hovering over the enemies or minions in question) is a very low priority for the developers at the moment.
Also, if they were to implement such, I would much rather have aura-like (i.e.: around the feet) colored glow effects than an actual artwork-obscuring bar.

But seriously, guys, be civil. Ridiculing your opponent may feel nice at the time, but it convinces no one who didn't already believe you.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
I never said it was a design flaw, I said there was a problem where 30% of my accurate clicks would not be registered, and that it needed to be fixed. Then some boys of the fan variety began to state point blank that there was absolutely no such issue, and that I must be terrible at gaming in general.

You never implied that it was a design flaw, i am just stating it is not a design flaw. However it is not entirely true that all you mention in your op was "some of my clicks won't stick," you mentioned a lot more issues with targeting. You instead of presenting a concern tried to validate your claims with a comparison of a beta to a genera of fully developed games. One of your main points was targeting and well I would say you got a satisfactory response to your targeting issues. It would be helpful if you updated your original post to reflect this new information being brought to you. A lot of people just read the original and then respond.

Like I said in my last post I think a lot of the issues here are steeped in poor communication between all parties.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 10, 2012, 12:54:13 AM
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
Don't even try pull that. My original post was only criticising the mechanics I saw fault in. This community endeavours to be as elitist as possible, and refuses to change even the smallest part of the game.

Most of what I just said was in regards to your posts throughout this thread, not just your original post. I neither completely agree or disagree with you and I certainly feel there are aspects of this game which could be improved and I'm certain I'm not the only one. It's really pig headed to believe that the people who disagree with you also believe this game to be the pinnacle of perfection or that somehow they are not interested in seeing it improved. What I find most offensive is your misguided assertion that the community NEVER drives changes in this game. You've been here little more than a week, but somehow you know the community has never instigated any changes to the game? Your generalizations are profoundly ignorant.
うにゅ?
"
NuclearRaven wrote:

Most of what I just said was in regards to your posts throughout this thread, not just your original post. I neither completely agree or disagree with you and I certainly feel there are aspects of this game which could be improved and I'm certain I'm not the only one. It's really pig headed to believe that the people who disagree with you also believe this game to be the pinnacle of perfection or that somehow they are not interested in seeing it improved. What I find most offensive is your misguided assertion that the community NEVER drives changes in this game. You've been here little more than a week, but somehow you know the community has never instigated any changes to the game? Your generalizations are profoundly ignorant.

You reference my posts throughout this thread, knowing that they are simply responses to the attacks of others. Yes, one should remain civil at all times, but it is difficult not to rise to the challenge of others.

For example, your reply is a direct attack on me, which pretty much goes against what most of your first post attempted to stand for.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
"
Raxorflazor wrote:

Health bars? They are already here...

And you can easily know how much health a mob has. The bigger the monster, the more health. Elite and rare mobs have even more health and melee mobs tend to have more health than ranged mobs of the same size...

Note: We do not need some mindless numbers sating 500 of 1000 health. We already have a health bar. More than enough.

Yes, you keep saying that, everyone keeps saying that. "We don't need health bars". Ye? Prove it. Tell me why you don't need health bars. I told you why I need health bars. Better prioritisation. Better damage feedback. Better total mob health indication. Better visualisation of damage areas. Better killing blow ability targeting.

And it isn't a case of making these tasks "easier". At the moment they simply cannot be done. If I'm fighting in excess of 10 enemies, and I need to know which one I can convert with dominating blow, how do you propose I go about doing this? Should I mouse over ever single enemy in the area, and find the one on the lowest hp? Should I ask them to stop attacking me so I can perform this painfully slow and completely unnecessary task?

As far as I can tell, you don't have a single reason why health bars shouldn't be added. Not ONE. Not even an insubstantial one. Its pathetic that you would argue for something which such fervour for absolutely no reason.

Are you serious? Like, really? I don't know about you. But when I play I aoe all of the mobs down almost instantly. And as I said. The bigger or rarer the mob, the more health. And of course these mobs tend to go down after all the others and that is when I deside to use my single target abilities. I think this is one of the reasons why you don't need health bars. Especially if the health bars you are reffering to are supposed to be above each mobs head. That would just be annoying when running around and fighting. This is my oppinion of course. And you have the right to disagree which I have seen that you already do. :)

And I'm not really a good person with words. So I can find it hard to express my reasons for not having health bars. But I really just think that they would be annoying. Accept my reason above or not. :)
Draeke, 42 HC Marauder died from a one shot... First HC char.
My targeting priority is based like this:
Fastest mobs > Rare mobs > Blue mobs > white mobs

I change my priority if the rare mob is too strong (such as oversoul or other strong bosses):
Fastest mobs > All the rare mobs' adds > Rare mob

3rd priority if I am overleveled for the area and do too much damage:
Closest mobs to me > Farthest mobs from me

In each case I dont need to know the enemies hp except for the 1 rare or boss mob, which I obviously hover over. I actually NEED to hover over them though just in case they have a lethal combination of mods, if I didnt hover over them to see their mods I would be dying a lot more, so perhaps not having a floating hp bar is saving my life (because it forces me to hover over the mob).
Also usually I use single target moves for rares which require me to hover over them anyway, so in 90% of cases I can see all the hp bars that I actually need to see.

I just dont see how my targeting priority could ever change even if I had hp bars, since Its already displayed visually to me which mobs are blue/yellow/white & which ones are moving the fastest.

As far as single target for dominating blow goes, I would target the closest white enemy > get at least 2-3 white enemies on my side (if there were fast moving mobs around) and once sufficient aggro is off of me I would target the strongest yellow mobs so they would join my cause). Floating hp bars wouldnt be of much use in this situation because all mobs start on full hp, so naturally white mobs have the lowest HP & if you need quick adds you would target the closest ones.

Anyway these are the reasons that I dont mind that there are not floating health bars. If I saw them on all mobs it would just add to the piles and piles of items on the ground that I have to look through (clutter) while I am fighting. I think there is a better argument for floating damage numbers as opposed to floating hp bars, since I can see all the HP information I really need at this stage.

EDIT: I forgot to address an issue with targeting that I really wanted to say:
I completely agree if you are talking about those damn snakes, I cant single target them for the life of me, they move too fast and their hitbox is way too small. Even when they are standing still I have trouble. Other than the snakes I havent had trouble, but those snakes really annoy me, its times like these you wish you were Samuel L Jackson.
Last edited by Metronomy on Dec 10, 2012, 6:31:56 AM
No, it's perfectly okay to tell the OP to go play Diablo 3 when he:

A) says he's primarily a FPS player
B) tells us this game takes no skill
C) demands the game be dumbed down

There are a plethora of games for FPS "gurus" and more than enough ARPGs to cater to this guy.

If he doesn't like POE, that's fine. Not everybody is, or should even, like POE. And it's fine the OP is expressing his 'opinion' but when his opinion is "make the game easier for me because I don't really play ARPGs" then the most obvious, natural, and right reaction is to say, "Go play some other game." Because that effects all of us, when a developer caters to this guy. And it's not wrong for a developer to cater to this kind of person, so they can easily justify dumbing down the game to serve some grander purpose in their eyes. We need to show GGG at every turn we won't stand for that, because that's what every developer does these days. I can't name one which has stuck to their guns about difficulty and "hardcoreiness" - even Dark Souls II is going to be "more accessible" according to its developer.

POE is catering to a minority right now: Hardcore players. The devs can make it as accessible as possible to newcomers up until it infringes upon that very fact. Having spells automatically hit their targets is not gameplay. It's movieplay. It's making me passive and removing a central aspect of the game. If he wants auto-aim and giant numbers jumping up and down on his screen (which quickly become meaningless, even if they have a practical purpose for debugging), then he can play World of Warcraft.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Dec 10, 2012, 8:51:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info