Combat is annoying me

"
Tanakeah wrote:
I do not call people out on their spelling or grammar because like I said, as a previous moderator I know that everyone makes mistakes and I clearly understand what you are saying...I dislike grammar police personally just so you know for future reference. :) I am also not offended at all because again...been there, done that, have plenty of thick skin and I've had far worse things flung my way on game forums. :)

As far as me calling others out with being too forceful, let's go back to the fact that we are talking about the first post he made in this thread. Compared to some other things that people have posted, his post is quite tame and there really isn't anything wrong with it. I haven't contradicted anything that I have said when you look at it and compare it to what others have responded. Because I defend a side doesn't mean I am 'white knighting' him...I could very well say the same thing about you defending the side that is condoning him and being quite rude about doing it, and that would be 'white knighting' as you say it, just for the other side. I am defending him because from my point of view I am having some of the same problems he is, and I know others are as well. I also stated that I DID NOT agree with his idea for 'aim assist' so I am not 'white knighting' (as you say) him totally. I am just agreeing with his stance.

Also, I think you are twisting my words just a little bit here, so let me clarify. The OP constructed his post with some 'strong language' and he did it in a way that might seem a bit more forceful and 'demanding', but again that doesn't make his suggestions any less valid. I am not 'sugar coating a turd' as you say, because the OP's post isn't a turd in the first place. It seems from my perspective that you have taken issue with this and you sort of said that as much with how strongly you feel about the game. In fact, I think your strong feelings for this game clouded your judgment a little bit and you took the OP's post a little too much to heart. Take a step back and look at it again and set your feelings aside just for a little bit and you might see it differently. Regardless of that, however, my point still stands...the OP's post was fine, but some of the responses he got were not warranted to the level of vitriol that he got.

Well i am certainly glad you are sensible concerning spelling and grammar.

You know I'm going to just stop here though as much as id love to continue this discussion i cant help but feel that not only are we really off topic but that we both have two different views of how this took place that will not change.

my TL;DR though is:
Was the OP guilty of some hanus act? no. Did he deserve the response that he got? no. Did he bring it upon himself? yes. The way you word your posts is very important, especially in starting a thread.

And in closing i will say i am offended that you would dismiss me as biased because i care for this game. would you dismiss a Police Officer who cared for his city? would you dismiss the developers because they care for their game?

EDIT: Reduced and dropped the discussion due to it being off topic and farrrrr to long lol.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 10, 2012, 11:31:23 PM
Last edited by Imbalanxd on Dec 10, 2012, 11:55:51 PM
^cool post

I like how people think I'm advocating some sort of spell autoaim. To be honest I think I can understand why so many are raging now. They are replying to some fictitious original post that doesn't even exist.

"
Imbalanxd wrote:

This isn't a game about fast click aim, so lets give some leeway. If I use an ability somewhere, just target the nearest mob if it is within an acceptable distance.

^ That's aim-assist...
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Dec 11, 2012, 12:31:34 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Imbalanxd wrote:

This isn't a game about fast click aim, so lets give some leeway. If I use an ability somewhere, just target the nearest mob if it is within an acceptable distance.

^ That's aim-assist...

No, its increasing the hitbox size. Increasing the hitbox size too much would result in aim assist. If the hitbox size was increased by an amount which did cause a level of "aim assist", then surely the distance would no longer be acceptable?

The "acceptable" part pretty much protects me against any back lash, as it is up to the individual to decide how big an increase would be acceptable, yet somehow this still resulted in hostility. It must be me being overly aggressive.
Stop calling people attacking the OP elitist. Everyone always resorts to that argument, as if it actually means something.

Listen, I'm not sitting here sipping fine wine and telling you how to play the game. That's the OP, telling us how the game should be. He put his opinion forth - and like anyone who's ever used the internet before knows - that invites others to state their opinion. When one's opinion is bad, it is reasonable to conclude that negative responses will be met.

Now, I'm a pretty nice guy. Usually. Even when I'm not nice, I'm pretty nice. You don't see me goin' round with cane, lopping people's hats off the street. Do ya? Of course you don't. I'm a respectableful guy and I unnastand that people have their 'opinions' - but such things can be bad. Yes, someone can have a bad opinion. A bad opinion is one which is destructive and reactionary, a bad opinion is one which is formulated upon emotion and habit. Thankfully, none of us are bein' like that here except the OP.

I can perfectly well understand where the OP is coming from with regards to difficulty and the state of polish in POE. But not only does he give POE no credit for what it does right, he gives us his lousy opinion that the game should be easier. And he says this without any, any, any, any any any any any any regard to "the scene" - and the scene is - the industry is - it's dumbing everything down. It's hunkering down. The economy is baaaaaaad. And video game companies know this. They know they need to squeeze the market until this mess blows over. The only way they're going to do that is by appealing to everyone. No matter how flawed this strategy might seem to a rational person, it is so widespread, we cannot let down our guard.

POE is a diamond in the rough. It's a game catered to us. No, we're not elitists - we're just sick of the industry treating us like we should expect RMAHs to be okay. That feeding us regurgitated WOW art is fine. That in-your-face DRM and security breaches are the norm. That games should be easy because not everybody is as adept or willing to try in a game as you. That's what the industry wants you to think. That's what the OP's been brought up in. I know he doesn't know better, but that doesn't change the necessity of reaction here.

I know you guys want to be nice too. I know you don't want to chase -- but this isn't about niceities anymore. We can't be nice. We have to put our foot down. We've been nice for too long and there has to be a line and this is the line. Anyone who impolitely asks for the game to be dumbed down deserves to be ridiculed, or at least pointed to the door. If someone wants to "scholariclously" discuss the nature of difficulty and how difficult POE should be and to what extent POE needs to appeal to casuls and so forth - I'm perfectly fine entering such civil, gentlemanly discussion, but seriously, the video game industry right now is rotten. It's like that city in that movie everyone likes. You know? And we've gotta be the hero that it deserves, but doesn't need right now. They'll hunt us, but we can take it. Because we're not a hero, we're a silent guardian a watchful protector a
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Dec 11, 2012, 12:58:06 AM
"
anubite wrote:
Stuff

I think we need to steer this thread back in the right direction, and in order to do so, I need to understand your point of view (as it seems to be common among most posters in this thread).

To that end, I would like an answer to the following question: How does what I suggested in the original post make the game "easier"?
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
I think we need to steer this thread back in the right direction, and in order to do so, I need to understand your point of view (as it seems to be common among most posters in this thread).

To that end, I would like an answer to the following question: How does what I suggested in the original post make the game "easier"?

I myself (certainly not speaking for everyone here) think your suggestions make the game more accessible rather than "easy."

However i do not want this to be misconstrued as me agreeing with your opinion. Path of Exile is a dark gritty classic realization of the action RPG genre. I have heard chris state (in interviews) on numerous occasions that the whole no floating heath bars, no floating text (which he did state he would implement a toggle option eventually) and all the other common staples of today's streamlined games will not be included because he wants there to be a sense of immersion as an exiled hero. Immersion is a huge draw point in addition to the complexity of this game, that is why I personally do not want floating texts, health bars, huge hit boxes, auto assists of any kind and anything else of that nature.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 11, 2012, 1:40:13 AM
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
Imbalanxd wrote:

^ That's aim-assist...

No, its increasing the hitbox size. Increasing the hitbox size too much would result in aim assist. If the hitbox size was increased by an amount which did cause a level of "aim assist", then surely the distance would no longer be acceptable?

The "acceptable" part pretty much protects me against any back lash, as it is up to the individual to decide how big an increase would be acceptable, yet somehow this still resulted in hostility. It must be me being overly aggressive.

What you stated, has absolutely nothing to do with hitbox size. If that's what you meant, that's one thing. However, EVERYONE read this as "Let me click attack, you find the target if i'm close enough". Since you said, "just target" this means the game is assisting you in targeting. This is aim assist. This takes zero skill. And would make the game "easier" as per your question.

Hitbox should always = pixel box. Or as close to it as you can come. Now, I've said I've never had targeting issues. This does not mean you have not. BUT, just because you're having issues, for whatever reason, does mean hitboxes should be made larger. As long as the hitbox is the enemy, nothing more, nothing less. It's fine.

EDITED for spelling and clarification
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Dec 11, 2012, 1:20:25 AM
"

However i do not want this to be misconstrued as me agreeing with your opinion. Path of Exile is a dark gritty classic realization of the action RPG genre. I have heard chris state (in interviews) on numerous occasion that the whole no floating heath bars, no floating text (which he did state he would implement a toggle option eventually) and all the other common staples of today's streamlined games will not be included because he wants there to be a sense of immersion as an exiled hero. Immersion is a huge draw point in addition to the complexity of this game, that is why I personally do not want floating texts, health bars, huge hit boxes, auto assists of any kind and anything else of that nature.

To me, immersion makes no sense outside the genre of first person view, but that's just me. I have fun playing ARPGs when I get to crunch numbers on the fly. This requires prominent and constant information display. Without this, there seems to be no feedback from the game world, and nothing to react to, and indeed no notion of a "game". Of course that doesn't mean that's how it is, just that the game doesn't cater to what I personally expect, so maybe this isn't the game for me after all.

Just as an aside, is the immersion angle also the reason for not adequately differentiating player pets from enemies (and indeed players themselves from enemies) or providing a method for seeing enemies behind objects?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info