Combat is annoying me

Two issues with combat that are really beginning to annoy me. They have come up a few times, but I can't believe they've dropped so far off the front page without being addressed by now.

First off, targeting. I'm primarily an FPS player, and I can't target mobs in this game to save my life. Either they are obscured by a hundred different props, move too fast to be clicked on, or just don't get targeted even when I do click on them. This isn't a game about fast click aim, so lets give some leeway. If I use an ability somewhere, just target the nearest mob if it is within an acceptable distance. And if I use attack ground, don't target anything. And if the location I click on is within range, then use the ability where I stand. No need to run up to the location...

The second point is health bars. Oh sweet baby Jesus does this game need health bars. What little micromanagement an ARPG has vitally needs to be streamlined. If I can't tell which enemy has the lowest HP, how am I supposed to effectively prioritise them? If I don't know what health my enemy is on, how can I use abilities like dominating strike effectively? I would go so far as to say that this game is almost unplayable for me without visible health bars. Every RPG has them, it really should have been the first thing in the game.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
Two issues with combat that are really beginning to annoy me. They have come up a few times, but I can't believe they've dropped so far off the front page without being addressed by now.

First off, targeting. I'm primarily an FPS player, and I can't target mobs in this game to save my life. Either they are obscured by a hundred different props, move too fast to be clicked on, or just don't get targeted even when I do click on them. This isn't a game about fast click aim, so lets give some leeway. If I use an ability somewhere, just target the nearest mob if it is within an acceptable distance. And if I use attack ground, don't target anything. And if the location I click on is within range, then use the ability where I stand. No need to run up to the location...

The second point is health bars. Oh sweet baby Jesus does this game need health bars. What little micromanagement an ARPG has vitally needs to be streamlined. If I can't tell which enemy has the lowest HP, how am I supposed to effectively prioritise them? If I don't know what health my enemy is on, how can I use abilities like dominating strike effectively? I would go so far as to say that this game is almost unplayable for me without visible health bars. Every RPG has them, it really should have been the first thing in the game.

It doesn't sound like this game is for you.
I think a lot of the problems you are having is relying too heavily on actually targeting your enemy every time. Even when I play melee I hold shift every time I want to attack. This helps in the off chance that I somehow didn't click directly on the enemy. Provided that the enemy doesn't move out of range by the time my attack ends (stupid monkeys) I'll hit them even if I miss-clicked.

As for health bars, they all have one when you hover your mouse over them. As nice as it would be to have them (I would love to have it enabled), I don't think adding health bars floating above each individual enemy's head is a very pressing matter. I can play the game just fine without them, especially when most mobs that aren't rare are dying in 1-2 hits.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
I'm primarily an FPS player,

Then why are you playing this?

"
and I can't target mobs in this game to save my life

So you're a FPS player but...

"
This isn't a game about fast click aim, so lets give some leeway.

...you can't click on slow-moving monsters? What you mean to say is you haven't played a FPS older than 2007. What you said doesn't make any sense otherwise. Counter Strike is about twitch reaction speed. Unreal Tournament is about twitch reaction speed. You're hardly a FPS gamer if you can't click on big blobs on a screen that aren't even moving fast.

"
If I use an ability somewhere, just target the nearest mob if it is within an acceptable distance.

Huh? Why. The monsters already stumble towards you, walking into all your attacks anyway.

"
Health bars. Oh sweet baby Jesus does this game need health bars.

Oh.

"
needs to be streamlined

Ohhh.

"
Every RPG has them

Um, wrong? Let's try one off the top of my head: Fallout 2. Don't go say "I'm primarily a FPS gamer" (which translates to: I don't play RPGs or ARPGs) and then say "Every RPG has X" because we know you're talking out your butt.

Listen, what you want is Diablo 3, it's this way http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/d3/

Also, when you can handle games that don't aim-assist a gun for you, I suggest you try playing an actual FPS like Quake, Doom, or even Counter Strike: Source (or the original).
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Dec 8, 2012, 7:23:01 PM
Lol i think you are trying to play a Ranger in this game with FPS mode.

Seriously targeting? Just click on the mobs.......unless you are cursor blind.
ISnt corpse targeting what hes talking about? auto aim?

Anyway. Um.. no this game doesnt need health bars. they are already there.

Just kill off the weaker small guys, then go for the main. Or if the main has auras you dont want getting out of control, try blast him down while getting pummeled by everyone.. or you can move hiom away from a mob, by running back into area you already cleared.
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Dec 8, 2012, 7:18:28 PM
It always amuses me how action RPGs, undoubtedly one of the most skilless game genres, has the most elitists.
I amazed OP that you actually posted this. I mean cmon, is not like this game has sniper rifles. This game is purely point-n-click, thats it. It is is the same with D3, and Torchlight 2. It will also be the same for Grim Dawn. It is the same for the health bars as well.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
Imbalanxd wrote:
It always amuses me how action RPGs, undoubtedly one of the most skilless game genres, has the most elitists.

It's just interesting that a FPS gamer isn't able to target slow as hell moving mobs in an ARPG, that's all.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
I amazed OP that you actually posted this. I mean cmon, is not like this game has sniper rifles. This game is purely point-n-click, thats it. It is is the same with D3, and Torchlight 2. It will also be the same for Grim Dawn. It is the same for the health bars as well.

Ye, its basically identical to a game like D3. Yet in D3, I have no problem. In this game, 30% of my clicks don't stick. I doubt I'm the only one experiencing this.

As for health bars, I don't get how good players can play without them. They are basically mandatory for proper coordinated play. How do you utilise killing blow abilities without knowing what health your enemies are on? How do you micromanage 10+ mobs without seeing relative HP? Do you guys play one mob at a time, or has everyone already converted to mindless AOE spamming? I know that is the ARPG standard, but at least give players the option.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info