Combat is annoying me

Enemies will never be seen behind objects. This has something to do with the game's engine.

Although, personally, I prefer it. As someone else once said, it's how you would be actually seeing your character from above. Which I agreed with.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Enemies will never be seen behind objects. This has something to do with the game's engine.

Although, personally, I prefer it. As someone else once said, it's how you would be actually seeing your character from above. Which I agreed with.

So its exactly how you would see things if you were a disembodied head floating around 30 feet up in the air?

Realism >
Last edited by Imbalanxd on Dec 11, 2012, 1:48:25 AM
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
To me, immersion makes no sense outside the genre of first person view, but that's just me. I have fun playing ARPGs when I get to crunch numbers on the fly. This requires prominent and constant information display. Without this, there seems to be no feedback from the game world, and nothing to react to, and indeed no notion of a "game". Of course that doesn't mean that's how it is, just that the game doesn't cater to what I personally expect, so maybe this isn't the game for me after all.

Just as an aside, is the immersion angle also the reason for not adequately differentiating player pets from enemies (and indeed players themselves from enemies) or providing a method for seeing enemies behind objects?

Yeah it just sounds to me like you enjoy certain aspects of the game, however some of the main points just don't line up with your views. The number crunching, damage calculating, and all that other in game feedback is there but you access it outside of combat. I would venture to say you want combat on the fly that gives some instant feedback, where in PoE you analyse and prepare before battle through the interface. The lack of health bars, floating texts, and other things you dub as "feed back" take away from the immersion that your exiled on this big lonely island/continent. The design philosophy reminds me a lot of what Resident Evil used to be. For the longest time Resident Evil stuck to the ridged gameplay and inventory for the sole purpose of making the players feel helpless and stranded.

As to your last paragraph im not sure what you mean exactly? If you could expand upon that a bit.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
So its exactly how you would see things if you were a disembodied head floating around 30 feet up in the air?

Realism >

I wouldn't say the above^ in any role-playing section of an MMO they will chew you up and spit you out lol.

As far as camera angles 1st, 2nd and 3rd persons views go, that has nothing to do with immersion for me.

Immersion is your sense of presence in the world, it has nothing to do with being the first person view. Immersion also dose not = realism, it means can i seamlessly imagine this world and my character in it. Realism can certainly play a role in that but =/= immersion by its self.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 11, 2012, 2:02:49 AM
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Realism >

Ah yes. Because FPS are so realistic right? Gotta love infinite ammo. Constant running with 100+ lbs of gear. Being able to hold 250 rounds of ammo. A RPG + multiple rockets.

In the case with BF3. Knowing how to operate the enemies tanks. Being a pilot, tank operator, engineer, sniper, and everything else...

Oh, and aim assist.

Also, thx for proving my point that what you said was not referring to hit boxes. As can be clearly seen by your "just target the nearest mob" statement. Which is most definitely: Aim assist.

I love FPS, but they're a different genre. If you like them, go play them. But realize that those games are INCREDIBLY unrealistic.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Dec 11, 2012, 1:57:16 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

What you stated, has absolutely nothing to do with hitbox size. If that's what you meant, that's one thing. However, EVERYONE read this as "Let me click attack, you find the target if i'm close enough". Since you said, "just target" this means the game is assisting you in targeting. This is aim assist. This takes zero skill. And would make the game "easier" as per your question.

You mean like.. gasp.. Arc?

Fast go open a topic and ask GGG to remove the aim assist from the game....

When the skill first came out I did. I asked them to reduce the range drastically, or have it have a chance of missing.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
When the skill first came out I did. I asked them to reduce the range drastically, or have it have a chance of missing.

Ok, I don't agree with you. Considering this games problems of lag, desync, bad hitboxes, slow projectiles and uninspired spells I find Arc best spell currently in the game.
But at least you are consistent with your previous statements.

Lag/Desync is currently on the top priority list for devs.

Care to elaborate on what exactly a poor Hitbox is, as well as what you mean when you say slow projectiles?
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Lag/Desync is currently on the top priority list for devs.

Care to elaborate on what exactly a poor Hitbox is, as well as what you mean when you say slow projectiles?

Snakes make for poor hitbox. Poor hitbox is whenever I click on monster but move instead. Happened to me with bears as well. Mostly happens with single target spells/attacks.

Slow projectile is any spell that needs you target manually but travels slow. Fireball is prime example, Ice Spear is another one. Due to their slow speed they miss moving targets as often as they hit. Fireball is worse in this department, because when Ice Spear finally hits at least it slows/freezes the target.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info