Combat is annoying me

"
Shien wrote:
Adding to what others have written, there's also an audio feedback with critical strikes (louder hit) and visual if you have elemental damage (burning, shock and freeze).

There's also no need for the game to tell you which enemy took the crit because an aoe attack uses one critical strike roll for all enemies within the effected area.

Considering you've made it to merciless, these things should be obvious and easy to spot.

So an enemies defensive stats don't reduce its chance to be critically hit? Then evades come into the equation.

If I'm cleaving 4 normal mobs and one elite, wouldn't that elite be taking fewer crits as it would be evading more often? Is that a reasonable assumption?

It also comes down to who is even being hit by an attack. The AOE attacks like cleave and ground slam are very temperemental, and it can be hard to judge exactly where the AOE starts and ends. I've had enemies directly in front of me not being hit by my ground slams and cleaves. Health bars clear this up, and remove a lot of the cluster fuck element that inevitably occurs in ARPGs.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
So an enemies defensive stats don't reduce its chance to be critically hit? Then evades come into the equation.

If I'm cleaving 4 normal mobs and one elite, wouldn't that elite be taking fewer crits as it would be evading more often? Is that a reasonable assumption?

Actually I think I made a mistake. I mostly use aoe spells rather than attacks which cannot miss.

"
Imbalanxd wrote:
It also comes down to who is even being hit by an attack. The AOE attacks like cleave and ground slam are very temperemental, and it can be hard to judge exactly where the AOE starts and ends. I've had enemies directly in front of me not being hit by my ground slams and cleaves. Health bars clear this up, and remove a lot of the cluster fuck element that inevitably occurs in ARPGs.

Targetting/hit boxes does have room for improvement but I'm more or less used to it and I'm confident that GGG will fix those in time.
IGN: RagingShien
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
I amazed OP that you actually posted this. I mean cmon, is not like this game has sniper rifles. This game is purely point-n-click, thats it. It is is the same with D3, and Torchlight 2. It will also be the same for Grim Dawn. It is the same for the health bars as well.

Ye, its basically identical to a game like D3. Yet in D3, I have no problem. In this game, 30% of my clicks don't stick. I doubt I'm the only one experiencing this.

As for health bars, I don't get how good players can play without them. They are basically mandatory for proper coordinated play. How do you utilise killing blow abilities without knowing what health your enemies are on? How do you micromanage 10+ mobs without seeing relative HP? Do you guys play one mob at a time, or has everyone already converted to mindless AOE spamming? I know that is the ARPG standard, but at least give players the option.

Health bars? They are already here...

And you can easily know how much health a mob has. The bigger the monster, the more health. Elite and rare mobs have even more health and melee mobs tend to have more health than ranged mobs of the same size...

Note: We do not need some mindless numbers sating 500 of 1000 health. We already have a health bar. More than enough.
Draeke, 42 HC Marauder died from a one shot... First HC char.
"
Raxorflazor wrote:

Health bars? They are already here...

And you can easily know how much health a mob has. The bigger the monster, the more health. Elite and rare mobs have even more health and melee mobs tend to have more health than ranged mobs of the same size...

Note: We do not need some mindless numbers sating 500 of 1000 health. We already have a health bar. More than enough.

Yes, you keep saying that, everyone keeps saying that. "We don't need health bars". Ye? Prove it. Tell me why you don't need health bars. I told you why I need health bars. Better prioritisation. Better damage feedback. Better total mob health indication. Better visualisation of damage areas. Better killing blow ability targeting.

And it isn't a case of making these tasks "easier". At the moment they simply cannot be done. If I'm fighting in excess of 10 enemies, and I need to know which one I can convert with dominating blow, how do you propose I go about doing this? Should I mouse over ever single enemy in the area, and find the one on the lowest hp? Should I ask them to stop attacking me so I can perform this painfully slow and completely unnecessary task?

As far as I can tell, you don't have a single reason why health bars shouldn't be added. Not ONE. Not even an insubstantial one. Its pathetic that you would argue for something which such fervour for absolutely no reason.
Evidently you play the game very slowly.

I just hit them with dominating blow and don't worry about it, some convert, some don't. No need for an interview process.

I generally have 6+ converted at any given time if there are enough mobs around.

I actually don't care if there is a mob floating health bar or not as long as I can turn it off, there just isn't a need for one.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.
Last edited by AlteraxPoe on Dec 9, 2012, 7:08:13 AM
"
AlteraxPoe wrote:

I just hit them with dominating blow and don't worry about it, some convert, some don't. No need for an interview process.

I generally have 6+ converted at any given time if there are enough mobs around.

I actually don't care if there is a mob floating health bar or not as long as I can turn it off, there just isn't a need for one.

If there is no need to know the health of your enemies, then most people in this thread are right, this game isn't for me. I like a bit of thought to be required in the games I play.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
"
AlteraxPoe wrote:

If there is no need to know the health of your enemies, then most people in this thread are right, this game isn't for me. I like a bit of thought to be required in the games I play.

You one shot mobs, and there is a health bar. That is our proof.
If you refuse to accept that then please by all means, take your tolling else where.
There are some targeting/hit box issues. I think they're well and truly known though and GGG will iron those out with time.

As for your ranged enemies hiding behind environmental objects. Short term fix is to force them to move by placing yourself outside of their firing line. I know this is not optimal. My ultimate solution to this would still not be floating health bars though as this feels like needless clutter to me.

I remember Diablo 2 remedied this by simply shading the 'hidden' enemy's silhouette, provided of course you had vision.

The following is not intended to be malicious or insulting and I sincerely hope you don't take it that way.

Whilst you may be frustrated with something in the game and have some honest concerns you wish to raise on the forums(I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here), being aggressive and abusive will put people off side and lead them to believe you're simply attempting to 'troll' (I hate that word). Calling people elitists or fanboys will only further ingrain the belief you're just messing with them. Even the title of this thread was ill thought and bound to attract negative attention. Stating that you're experienced in other games, especially in a completely different genre, as an argument to support your claim will cause people to think you're foolish. Granted some of the people in here have been rude to you, but if people are abusive, don't respond to them, they are not worth the effort.

Hopefully with this in mind we can proceed to have genuine discourse on this topic without all this churlish behaviour.
うにゅ?
"
NuclearRaven wrote:
Whilst you may be frustrated with something in the game and have some honest concerns you wish to raise on the forums(I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here), being aggressive and abusive will put people off side and lead them to believe you're simply attempting to 'troll' (I hate that word). Calling people elitists or fanboys will only further ingrain the belief you're just messing with them. Even the title of this thread was ill thought and bound to attract negative attention. Stating that you're experienced in other games, especially in a completely different genre, as an argument to support your claim will cause people to think you're foolish. Granted some of the people in here have been rude to you, but if people are abusive, don't respond to them, they are not worth the effort.

Don't even try pull that. My original post was only criticising the mechanics I saw fault in. This community endeavours to be as elitist as possible, and refuses to change even the smallest part of the game.
it's just best to ignore this guy.

this will be my last post on anything with op name.

no matter what we say we are just an elitist/fanboy to him.
Last edited by Dudebag on Dec 9, 2012, 10:29:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info