Combat is annoying me

"
Imbalanxd wrote:
It always amuses me how action RPGs, undoubtedly one of the most skilless game genres, has the most elitists.

There's elitists and then there's sarcastic people who find someone's misinformed bitching silly. You can't call someone an elitist because they think that being unable to click slow moving targets from an isometric perspective is bad. Granted, they're being rude, but so was the OP and this is, after all, the internet.

Besides, he calls himself an FPS gamer. I struggled not to laugh.

Also, elitism itself is the wrong word. The only thing that you can use to measure someone's prowess here is their understanding of the game mechanics. Aside from that, people differ in capacity simply based on the time they invest. They don't earn the right to be dicks by spending more time than others playing the game.

Trolling... Well, there's a reason trolls are weak against fire.
"
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
You clearly didn't understand the vast majority of the post. I can only assume that English is not your first language, which is not your fault at all.

That is all you can come up with... you really are trolling hard but then again I wouldn't expect anything less form a person who is throwing a temper tantrum.

On a side note your username speaks volumes here.

Very well. You clearly need an explanation so I will give you one. If for nothing else, to improve your abilities of comprehension.

"
"it is important to know before hand exactly how tough the mob you are fighting is"

Its called Monster Power...

Yes. I was saying that it is important to know. I wasn't saying that you couldn't find out, I was saying that a player should know this, and can know it. A two year old would be able to identify that that is what I was saying.

"
"important to know how much damage each of your attacks do."

Pull open the character menu and read what your DPS is... and hell GGG was so nice to even include the individual dps stats of each spell!

Yes. I was saying that it is important to know. I wasn't saying that you couldn't find out, I was saying that a player should know this, and can know it. Once again, the two year old thing.

"
"The problem is, there is absolutely no feedback regarding crits or misses."

Read the mechanics section they explain crits and misses there in full.

Feedback
As in it informing me as to when a critical strike or a miss has occurred. I need to know when I just missed an enemy 4 times in a row in order to adjust my approach. It is important information that is not conveyed to the player. The player needs this information to act on. If you aren't responding to information, then you aren't doing anything skilful, and if the information isn't even being provided, then they are sending the skill ceiling straight down to the floor.

"
"but I'm not omnipotent enough to know when crits and misses will occur."

Either are the developers it is call a random number generator or a "roll"

The outcome of which the engine knows full well, but for some reason chooses to keep from me.

"
"The information is already available"

Really your arguing to have something spoon fed for you even though it is all ready implemented...

You really want to go that route? Then why aren't you playing a text based dungeon crawler? Really? You are such a COD kiddy that you need the location of walls and doors and enemies to be spoon fed to you? Back in my day we used GPS coordinate systems son, you need to grow up.

Its nice being selective with the information that is and is not provided.
Last edited by Imbalanxd on Dec 9, 2012, 3:46:05 AM
The community here is of sharks ready to tear apart anything because it might be dumbed down.

The targeting of this game is pretty bad, I find it a little difficult to target and because of no health bars, it is more difficult to see who to prioritize as most mobs look the same.

All in all, it can be improved to a degree and optional health bars would be a strong plus.
Edit
Last edited by AtownStomp on Dec 9, 2012, 3:48:55 AM
"
AtownStomp wrote:
The community here is of sharks ready to tear apart anything because it might be dumbed down.

The targeting of this game is pretty bad, I find it a little difficult to target and because of no health bars, it is more difficult to see who to prioritize as most mobs look the same.

All in all, it can be improved to a degree and optional health bars would be a strong plus.

Or you can just hover and one shot everything but yellow/orange mobs. those you have to 2-3 shot.
Why would having hovering HP bars help you when you one shot everything?

If you are having trouble clicking the slow moving mobs in this game then you and Michael J Fox have something in common.
"
Asmoday1232 wrote:

Or you can just hover and one shot everything but yellow/orange mobs. those you have to 2-3 shot.

If you are having trouble clicking the slow moving mobs in this game then you and Michael J Fox have something in common.

I hope you take this opportunity for some introspection, and truly look at what you are typing. You may manage to learn something about yourself, and improve yourself.

In my original post, I clearly outlined three scenarios involving targeting issues. The first was in game props obscuring enemies. I don't know how people can argue this fact, but it seems many of you have found a way to. Placing a ranged enemy behind a wall prop means that I will not be able to tell what is shooting me, and when I find its location, I won't be able to click on it.

The second was things being too fast. The monkeys in act 2 can be pretty annoying, especially when they are all in a massive cluster, but that isn't too bad. The real problem is those leech looking viper things in vaal. By default they clear entire rooms in under a second, when they have that speed aura its just silly. That speed aura can even make skeletons silly fast.

The third was clicks simply not sticking, regardless of whether I clicked the target or not. I assume the hit detection has some issues at the moment that will hopefully be resolved soon.

Basically, I never mentioned have trouble clicking slow moving mobs. You chose to perceive that I did because you are a fanboy, and don't want to think that there is anything possibly wrong with a game that you like. I don't think I need to tell you why being oblivious to these kind of issues is a bad thing, as other, less devoted players, will definitely pick up on them, and their experience will be worse because of them.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
"
Asmoday1232 wrote:

I hope you take this opportunity for some introspection, and truly look at what you are typing. You may manage to learn something about yourself, and improve yourself.

In my original post, I clearly outlined three scenarios involving targeting issues. The first was in game props obscuring enemies. I don't know how people can argue this fact, but it seems many of you have found a way to. Placing a ranged enemy behind a wall prop means that I will not be able to tell what is shooting me, and when I find its location, I won't be able to click on it.

The second was things being too fast. The monkeys in act 2 can be pretty annoying, especially when they are all in a massive cluster, but that isn't too bad. The real problem is those leech looking viper things in vaal. By default they clear entire rooms in under a second, when they have that speed aura its just silly. That speed aura can even make skeletons silly fast.

The third was clicks simply not sticking, regardless of whether I clicked the target or not. I assume the hit detection has some issues at the moment that will hopefully be resolved soon.

Basically, I never mentioned have trouble clicking slow moving mobs. You chose to perceive that I did because you are a fanboy, and don't want to think that there is anything possibly wrong with a game that you like. I don't think I need to tell you why being oblivious to these kind of issues is a bad thing, as other, less devoted players, will definitely pick up on them, and their experience will be worse because of them.

Whats that troll? You are still here trying to troll and argue points that just prove you have a mental issue on click mobs that no one else seems to have and being one shot by things but refuseing to listen to how to fix it and then going to other forums and calling people bad or saying that your death is GGGs fault?

Seriously child, just stop.
"
Imbalanxd wrote:
I can very much agree with a lot of this. In a game like POE it is important to know before hand exactly how tough the mob you are fighting is, and also just as important to know how much damage each of your attacks do. This will give you a good time frame of how long it will take to kill, and will inform the decisions you make throughout the fight.

The problem is, there is absolutely no feedback regarding crits or misses. Now I think I'm pretty good at gauging health and damage, but I'm not omnipotent enough to know when crits and misses will occur.

Also, the idea of health bars reducing skill requirement is laughable. The information is already available, it is just a nightmare to access it. Its design 101 that you do not introduce difficulty through the interface, but rather the mechanics.

"In a game like POE it is important to know before hand exactly how tough the mob you are fighting is, and also just as important to know how much damage each of your attacks do. This will give you a good time frame of how long it will take to kill, and will inform the decisions you make throughout the fight."

The problem here is I just do not understand the context of the above statement, are you agreeing that POE has this or disagreeing, it is hard to pull the context of your post considering how you have responded to other posts. If you are indeed agreeing that POE handles this well then we may have found something we both agree on.

"The problem is, there is absolutely no feedback regarding crits or misses. Now I think I'm pretty good at gauging health and damage, but I'm not omnipotent enough to know when crits and misses will occur."

I don't understand why you cant gauge a monsters health loss on whether or not you got a miss, normal attack, or crit. Not to mention the other slew of ways people have mentioned you can notice a crit. Again your "im not omnipotent" retort is laughable anyone playing this knows you can not predict exactly when you are going to crit or miss on a random number generator and floating text and floating health bars will not solve that.

"Also, the idea of health bars reducing skill requirement is laughable. The information is already available, it is just a nightmare to access it. Its design 101 that you do not introduce difficulty through the interface, but rather the mechanics."

This has nothing to do with skill, HP bars clutter the screen with information that, one. is not needed and two. when needed is easily figured out by hovering your courser over the enemy. If you think hovering your courser over a creature is a nightmare i question your presence in this genre.

This game is not like WoW or D3, you are not DPS'ing a mob down for 15-20min this is a straight forward classic ARPG (kill loot kill). Again floating texts and health bars do nothing but add clutter to the screen. Honestly if you say you read floating text in D3, WoW or any other game I'm calling you out on that. The floating texts move so fast and are so unreadable, there is no additional information to be gained from it.

You have a poor argument IMO but even worse is your attitude. It is one thing to criticize the game (not even in the right forum index) but to then troll half the people who argue against your point.

There you are word for word to what you requested. If you want to contribute in a healthy form to this game and you truly do not have the intention of trolling, then you need to request the mods either lock this or move it to the beta discussion. Because as far as i see things you posting this in "General" looks like nothing more than a cry for attention.

EDIT: For the love of all that is holly stop typing for a second and look at what you posted, the thread title is called "Combat is annoying me." you cant get any less constructive then that... right in the title! So stop trying to be the savant of this thread.

EDIT:EDIT: some spelling errors.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 9, 2012, 7:06:37 AM
Adding to what others have written, there's also an audio feedback with critical strikes (louder hit) and visual if you have elemental damage (burning, shock and freeze).

There's also no need for the game to tell you which enemy took the crit because an aoe attack uses one critical strike roll for all enemies within the effected area.

Considering you've made it to merciless, these things should be obvious and easy to spot.

IGN: RagingShien
Last edited by Shien on Dec 9, 2012, 4:37:19 AM
"
Asmoday1232 wrote:
"
AtownStomp wrote:

Oh my god, you are just amazing. Some day I'll be as cool as you and as good as you are at video games. Until then, I'll.... I don't know.... cry myself to sleep at your awesomeness.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info