BSOD with only POE

Win 7 64bit, SB X-Fi
Still getting a BSOD (portcls.sys) after installing the support package from http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=352964 but the install threw an error in the middle, so something of the handfull of drivers/programs probably didn't install properly.
After my Raid health check is done, I'll try with -nosound and hope for the best.

--nosound worked well so far, no more BSOD but I only got to play 2 more hours.
... is not a troll
Last edited by trollkind on May 14, 2012, 8:36:00 PM
i can confirm that the software "virtual audio cable" also BSOD's your computer with the portcls.sys

and i will now make a seprate topic abou tit but jsut tought i'd chip in here too.

only solution i found was just removing virtual audio cable as i did not use it.
I have a X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion Series (stupid long name). I've tried several drivers, and can play fine but if I alt-tab out, it is flakey.

I've tried the custom drivers from PAX, the official beta drivers and the official release drivers. All with same result. Game is OK until I go alt-tabbing and mucking around with things.

Another thing that causes it to BSOD instantly is trying to record with Dxtory. It works with sound disabled, but turn sound recording on and it insta-BSODs. Not sure if its the X-Fi issue, or a combination of the two. Haven't tried Dxtory with onboard sound.
I just tried Beta driver for my X-Fi XTremeGamer PCI... I've heard it helped with similar issue with LOTR Online...
So far so good, no BSOD yet (1,5 hours of play) even with Winamp playing in background and Alt-TAB'ing all the time...

I noticed one small thing about my Audio card. Before I upgraded the driver I ran RightMark 3DSound tool and it reported 127 2D and 3D buffers in Hardware OpenAL mode... Now with the updated driver (2.18.0015A) it reports only 96... Strange...

I'm going to play tomorrow... I hope there will be no BSOD with the Beta driver...

http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nDriverType=11#type_11

PS: There's a similar driver for PCIE1x cards: 2.18.0015B
I was playing 6 hours in total today without any BSOD... Seems like this beta driver really helps, at least in my case...

If you have Creative X-Fi PCI cards get 2.18.0015A driver and if you have PCIE1x card get 2.18.0015B driver...

Good luck!..
I use a Xi-FI Titanium and I was getting the BSOD. I tried the Beta Drivers from Creative labs, but I still got BSOD. I disabled the XI-FI and ran motherboard Realtek Sound and I was able to complete Acts I and II with no further BSOD's.

I know that this workaround is not a option for some, and it irritates me that I can't use my primary sound card but at least I could hear the game.....

Hope that this bug gets fixed.

when we get fix for this??????
If anyone wants to test this, I am curious.

Since I do not have this type of card since Windows98SE, I cannot try this, but if someone is willing.

Article

condensed version.
"
Start > Run > Msinfo32 ...

Goto: System Summary > Hardware Resources > IRQs...

You can see what IRQ your Sound card is assigned to.

"

Start > Run > Regedit ...

Goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl

"

Right click anywhere in the blank area in the right pane, click "New" and choose "DWORD Value."

"

Name your new value "IRQ#Priority," where "#" is the IRQ of the device. For example, "IRQ13Priority"

"

Double click the new value ... to set its priority.

"1" for top priority
"2" for second priority.

Reboot.
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Ram : 4GB Kingston PC2-6400 5-5-5-18
Mobo: Abit KN9-Sli (NF570-Sli chipset with Realtek Audio)
GPU: ATI HD4670 1GB
HD: Maxtor 20GB - OS - Seagate 500GB - Games / Storage / PageFile
Network / ISP: Wired / Cox Cable
Last edited by Greybear1andonly on May 20, 2012, 12:10:42 PM
Above does not fix the problem and a bump for a resolution/fix.

Creative X-Fi Titanium pci-e, Danial K's 2.5 driver pack.

When running POE and I open a drive in MyComputer, system crashes with Portcls.sys BSOD.

If I disable Creative X-Fi or add --nosound then there is no BSOD.

I have tried everything in this thread to fix it.

I ended up doing a work around by connecting onboard sound to my receiver and use it through AUX and change device through creative volume panel to Hi-Def audio device.

When I want to use Creative X-Fi 5.1, I change to 5.1 on receiver and change creative volume panel to Creative X-Fi.

Would rather not have to do this, so a fix would be nice.
Scratch that, it may have stopped the BSOD but now I have no sound as audio driver is not detected:(

Everything else has sound.

Reinstalling, so another 4.13GB download:(
Last edited by Cathgar on Jun 15, 2012, 12:10:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info