BSOD with only POE

If this is placed wrong just tell me exactly where to put it or move this thread.

I've been playing POE on and off when I can but I recently had an overhaul of an upgrade to my computer.

msi GTX560ti
8GB Gskill RAM
AMD FX-4100 - 4core CPU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Fatality Sound Blaster X-fi sound card
ASRock AM3+ motherboard - AMD 970 Chipset

The problem is pretty cut and dry. I run PoE and I get a BSOD that has a dump and says portcyl.sys failed.

This is what whocrashed found:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032812-23602-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: portcls.sys (portcls+0x34BF9)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88006912BF9, 0xFFFFF88009F71BC0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys

So it's a driver issue, I looked up the portcls.sys and it's related to sound drivers. I did a fresh install of my sound card with latest drivers. The thing is no game I have played has had the same issue, not once.

Quick list of games I've played for hours on end are:
Mass Effect 2 and 3 (both played for about 40 hours)
Fallout Newvegas
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Starwars The Old Republic (MMO)
Guild Wars
Aion
The Witcher 2
League of Legends
World of Warcraft
Fallout 1 & 2
Age of Conan
RAGE
Minecraft

All these games I can play with no sound issues or bluescreens or crashes related to portcls.sys.

What I will not do:
Fresh install windows
Buy anything new

That's pretty much it. I want to play PoE and give it a fair chance but this bsod just keeps me from playing it.

What I have tried is turning out acceleration of sound in PoE and I also tried to mute sound in PoE but there's no turnoff sound, just lower it to nothing.

Most common answer I'm sure I'll see is reinstall the sound driver which I will do today and give a post after doing so. But I'm pretty much planning ahead that it won't work if I just do a re-cleaninstall of my sound driver.

P.S. I also found on another forum about an in-game chat with a dev? They mention the portcls.sys blue screen issue and looking into it but that was January.
Spoiler
Questions answered by Chris in game chat (22 Jan 2012):

Chris has been so kinda as to answer a lot of questions in chat (while the 3 hour rush is going).

I've only taken the once that specifically involve the game.

I'll keep updating this as long as Chris answeres game related questions.

Timestamp is my local time (so it might seem very wrong to a lot of you).

-------------------------------------

21:48:10 #Drondoe: Chris, will you make new skills when you introduce new class?
21:48:19 #Chris: Drondoe: yep, many skills are in progress

21:48:03 #Executron: Chris, hi, what do you want for the Fusings Recipe?
21:48:31 #Chris: Executron: the fusing recipe actually isn't in yet... but will be soon

21:50:22 #Murps: Chris, is the new class a dagger user?
21:50:29 #Chris: Murps: the tree suggests so

21:52:33 #Drondoe: Chris, when will you implement cash shop? I wanna buy something
21:52:47 #Chris: Drondoe: pretty soon you'll be able to buy stash tabs I think
21:53:15 #Chris: I'm going to buy more than 10 once they're available

21:53:28 #Jadi: Can I assume they will carry over to live, once beta ends, if bought now? (Note: he is talking about the tabs)
21:53:34 #Chris: Jadi: yes

21:53:34 #Mainstream: chris is there ever going to be a gold sysem placed into the game...or strictly trade?
21:53:47 #Chris: Mainstream: strictly trade between teh current currency items

21:53:37 #Executron: Chris, is the 6-th class the guy standing in the background on the character screen?
21:53:57 #Chris: Executron: nope, that's the ship's quartermaster

21:53:58 #JukeBox: Chris, Is there any information about Open Beta start ?
21:54:17 #Chris: Juke: a few months I think

21:54:58 #NoXterium_DE_II: Chris ummm I played a lot already and never found an uniq wth?
21:55:11 #Chris: Nox: they're very rare! I've never found one either
21:55:19 #Chris: well, not since alpha ~0.8.6ish
21:56:23 #Chris: we'll make the more common once there are more
21:56:32 #Chris: actually, 0.9.6 is doubling the number of uniques in the game again
21:56:40 #Chris: there are 28 new ones that we just finished the design of

21:57:20 #NoXterium_DE_II: the sound problems in the waterfall cave are already known? I dont know
21:57:27 #Chris: Nox: we are fixing some sound issues, yes

22:02:27 #DancingDaggas: Chris, quick question. Are the three stat armors supposed to have armor increases that are global
22:03:43 #Chris: Dancing: They have global ones on some specific item types I believe

22:35:11 #Chris: 0.9.6 adds a skill that will (Note: skill that will grant power charges)

22:35:29 #DralTWOpointO: does it add a fusing recipe?
22:35:36 #Chris: not yet. still thinking about that one

22:37:50 #Sanctumz: chris any chance we might see pvp before open beta
22:38:02 #Chris: yes

22:40:03 #ExplodingArrow: chris, are flat dmg gems applied on the charges of exploding arrow?
22:40:23 #Chris: ExplodingArrow: I believe they are, but I'll check

22:40:58 #Avalona: are u still following up the portcls.sys bluescreen problem?
22:41:18 #Chris: Avalona: yes, we are collecting info so that we can track it down

22:40:58 #GlennTaloch: chris are u guys going add a filter to avoid bad names?
22:41:22 #Chris: Glenn: probably, yes
22:41:48 #Chris: it's mostly racist stuff we'd want to filter

22:42:17 #fiveofnine: question,,can we have something for transmuting orbs.like horadric cube in d2-lod?
22:43:01 #Chris: five: some of the buy-vendor recipes let you upgrade stuff like that, but there aren't many recipes for upgrading yet. we're trying to be careful to not make it too easy to just upgrade them

22:58:56 #SanctumTemp: I think you should implement a command to respond to last whisper
22:59:06 #Chris: ctrl+enter I think? (Note: Yep)

23:15:12 #Aiy: Theres no way to quick sell items by holding a key while klicking on it or something?
23:15:23 #Chris: not yet - soon
Last edited by Detis on Mar 29, 2012, 11:39:04 AM
This is a nasty problem that our game has with Creative sound cards! We're getting a card in house so we can solve the problem, until then the only work-around I can suggest is changing your default sound drivers - Change Sound Card Settings in the windows search will get you the menu, sadly, you'll have to change your default every time you play the game, but it should prevent this crash until we get a real fix in!
Balance & Design
One thing Jonathan suggested can also try is putting [ --nosound] at the end of your Path of Exile shortcut - For example, ["C:/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile/Client.exe" --nosound]
Balance & Design
Also, you can temporarily disable your sound card (and use your onboard sound if you have it). That's what I do currently, as I have the same card.
Have Creative Labs sound cards become so much in the minority that this is *not* a major issue? I had no idea.

This sucks for me. I just blue screened due to this problem and, weirdly, when I came back in the contrast settings for my video card were set to the lowest possible settings. It took me a while to track down what had dimmed my screen.

I'd think that a known problem of this severity would warrent a warning in the email that was sent out and the FAQ that the email directs us to. Something like "If you have a Creative Labs sound card, do *NOT* start the game without deactivating the card. " It's nasty.

And then there's the whole idea of not playing the game with sound on...
It's a very rare thing that only happens with a few Creative cards, and we've tried fixing it repeatedly but nothing has fixed it for everyone. I would suggest trying other drivers for the card if you have the ability to!
Balance & Design
I have the same problem - bluescreens with portcls.sys error.

I have the X-Fi Titanium sound card and windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
Intel Core i5 750
4GB Ram
6950 Radeon
First off I just want to thank you for the replies and some temp solutions for my issue I'll try these later today to let you know how it pans out.

Seriously it's nice to have some good responses and it's greatly appreciated.

Otherwise currently I don't have the onboard installed but I'll try that -nosound as a try. :3
I was having consistent BSOD when going into the dark forest and I do have a creative sound card. The --nosound option fixed it, so it does work.
Been playing all day with the --nosound work around. I can confirm this does work! Wish I knew this over a week ago. lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info