BSOD with only POE

I have a creative sound card also, and this is happening to me.

It happens when alt-tabbing or changing game resolutions, for some reason.

Even better, the repeated BSODs messed up my computer and I had to do a system restore from safe mode to get everything working again.
"
Konried wrote:
I have a creative sound card also, and this is happening to me.

It happens when alt-tabbing or changing game resolutions, for some reason.

Even better, the repeated BSODs messed up my computer and I had to do a system restore from safe mode to get everything working again.

Yeah same thing here 2 BSOD today both time while alt tabbing from the game. I have the X-Fi Titanium sound card and windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
One player said he found a non-offical driver that solved all of his sound card problems. If you feel capable of getting the right kind of file, that may be a temporary solution! OTherwise you can add [ --nosound] to the end of the Path of Exile short-cut (after the quotation marks) to disable your sound.
Balance & Design
Thanks for the tip Rory. I did some some searching and found this post from the LotR forums. Players seem to be having similar BSOD issues with Creative X-fi sound cards.

PLEASE NOTE:
1. I HAVE NOT INSTALLED THESE DRIVERS YET since open beta weekend has ended and I don't have closed beta access. I'll post back with results if I can test.
2. My BSOD issues ONLY occur on Path of Exile

Here's the post link:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?419565-X-fi-Users-Rejoice!-(Creative-Releases-Drivers-to-Fix-BSOD-Issue)

Link to the drivers on Creative's website:
http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nLanguageLocale=1033&nDriverType=1#type_1
* You may want to re-search to make sure you get the proper driver for your card, but I think it's a generic install.
* The driver notes don't specify if this is 64-bit...

Windows 7 thinks I have the most up-to-date drivers for my X-fi although the driver is dated 2010. The current drivers on the Creative website are dated 2/16/2011.

I can also confirm that the -nosound attribute prevented any further BSOD crashes for me, but frankly it blows to play without sound!

Just a heads up as i finally could get hands on a beta key (thanks for the opportunity btw :) ).

i havent experienced any blue screen so far compared to the stress test.
though i am now in act2 instead of somewehere at the beginning back at the weekend.
dont know if you have solved it with the patch after stress test or i was just lucky till now ^^.

i hope its solved as i dont like to play with my onboard sound again.
if i encounter the problelm once again i will make sure to leave a message here.

Edit: nevermind - just got 2 blue screens in 10mins, related to the creative sound driver. :(
back to onboard sound ...
Last edited by halfdead2 on Apr 5, 2012, 9:08:49 AM
Here is a solution that someone came up with:
"
Shtormovik wrote:
After some additional reaserch I have some conclusions about the reason the problem appears.

1) This happens to users with X-Fi ExtremeGamer (and i suppose other X-Fi sound cards)

This is becouse X-Fi has override over openAL in order to things work, while game installation of openAL overwrites those files or just goes into conflict

What should be done:

2) a) If X-Fi is your primary card - install:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=352964

It will install appropriate openAL override for you and everything will be good

b) If you had X-Fi sound card in previous and now dont have: you still have parts of override in your system
And new installation of openAL just ruins everything evermore
I did not find way to fix this issue. The only way is to p ut back X-Fi card and install support pack OR reinstall windows, so no X-Fi alchemy(openAL override) will be in your system

I suppose developers should investigate this case and add some special ebhaviour for X-FI users(for example -> dont install openAL automaticaly if you do)
Balance & Design
I get BSOD with POE only. I triple box 3 eve online clients for hours on end, system is 100% stable. Coincidentally I have X-FI sound card...

going to try this solution
IGN: Guillotine - Shadow - Open Beta
Bawss - 73 Witch - Closed Beta

ok ive installed the other driver stated above by the dev.

do i have to do something else in order for it to work?
because i still got BSOD in PoE :(.
Same problem here with an X-fi Titanium. A mate has Audigy 2 ZS and still gets BOSD. Will play with --nosound until a solution is found.
I got into beta and I was HAPPY, but then I took an arrow to the knee...
The fix posted Above seems to have fixed my issue. I'm using X-fi Progamer, and no bluescreens within the last couple of hours. Also make sure that your Audio mode is set the Game Mode, to make sure the Open AL works properly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info