BSOD with only POE

This is a nasty problem that our game has with Creative sound cards! We're getting a card in house so we can solve the problem, until then the only work-around I can suggest is changing your default sound drivers - Change Sound Card Settings in the windows search will get you the menu, sadly, you'll have to change your default every time you play the game, but it should prevent this crash until we get a real fix in!
Balance & Design
One thing Jonathan suggested can also try is putting [ --nosound] at the end of your Path of Exile shortcut - For example, ["C:/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile/Client.exe" --nosound]
Balance & Design
It's a very rare thing that only happens with a few Creative cards, and we've tried fixing it repeatedly but nothing has fixed it for everyone. I would suggest trying other drivers for the card if you have the ability to!
Balance & Design
One player said he found a non-offical driver that solved all of his sound card problems. If you feel capable of getting the right kind of file, that may be a temporary solution! OTherwise you can add [ --nosound] to the end of the Path of Exile short-cut (after the quotation marks) to disable your sound.
Balance & Design
Here is a solution that someone came up with:
"
Shtormovik wrote:
After some additional reaserch I have some conclusions about the reason the problem appears.

1) This happens to users with X-Fi ExtremeGamer (and i suppose other X-Fi sound cards)

This is becouse X-Fi has override over openAL in order to things work, while game installation of openAL overwrites those files or just goes into conflict

What should be done:

2) a) If X-Fi is your primary card - install:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=352964

It will install appropriate openAL override for you and everything will be good

b) If you had X-Fi sound card in previous and now dont have: you still have parts of override in your system
And new installation of openAL just ruins everything evermore
I did not find way to fix this issue. The only way is to p ut back X-Fi card and install support pack OR reinstall windows, so no X-Fi alchemy(openAL override) will be in your system

I suppose developers should investigate this case and add some special ebhaviour for X-FI users(for example -> dont install openAL automaticaly if you do)
Balance & Design
Thanks for the info, MOr5! I'll pass this on to others, and see if it solves the problem for them.
Balance & Design
You should also try running the Pack Check, which can be found at the top of the Bug Reports forum.
Balance & Design

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info