BSOD with only POE

I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional soundcard and I'm also getting BSOD's with Path of Exile. Curiously I only started getting them with 0.9.8 (or some version in the last few months, sorry can't be more precise). I tried updating to the latest beta drivers from Creative's website, version 2.17.8C from 12.12.2011. I had the BSOD's with these as well. I haven't dared try the 3rd party driver pack yet.
"
Rory wrote:
Here is a solution that someone came up with:
"
Shtormovik wrote:
After some additional reaserch I have some conclusions about the reason the problem appears.

1) This happens to users with X-Fi ExtremeGamer (and i suppose other X-Fi sound cards)

This is becouse X-Fi has override over openAL in order to things work, while game installation of openAL overwrites those files or just goes into conflict

What should be done:

2) a) If X-Fi is your primary card - install:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=352964

It will install appropriate openAL override for you and everything will be good

b) If you had X-Fi sound card in previous and now dont have: you still have parts of override in your system
And new installation of openAL just ruins everything evermore
I did not find way to fix this issue. The only way is to p ut back X-Fi card and install support pack OR reinstall windows, so no X-Fi alchemy(openAL override) will be in your system

I suppose developers should investigate this case and add some special ebhaviour for X-FI users(for example -> dont install openAL automaticaly if you do)

I used this suggestion and it looks like it fixed the problem for me!
Last edited by quakef on Apr 11, 2012, 9:14:59 PM
"
Telos wrote:
I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional soundcard and I'm also getting BSOD's with Path of Exile. Curiously I only started getting them with 0.9.8 (or some version in the last few months, sorry can't be more precise). I tried updating to the latest beta drivers from Creative's website, version 2.17.8C from 12.12.2011. I had the BSOD's with these as well. I haven't dared try the 3rd party driver pack yet.

That sucks. Haven't had any BS since I installed those drivers; I'm wondering whether it might come from very uninstalling the old driver very conscientiously first (uninstalling DTS packs etc, just everything), then using CCleaner, and only then installing the new driver, or if it maybe just has something to do with using CCleaner itself?
Maybe the drivers work until OpenAL overwrites something, which it only does when... dunno, you install a game that uses it or something?
I installed the latest beta drivers for my PCIE XFI Titanium but still have BSODS. Playing without sound now and works fine.
Haven't tried the 3rd party pack yet but doubt it will matter much.
"
mOr5 wrote:
That sucks. Haven't had any BS since I installed those drivers; I'm wondering whether it might come from very uninstalling the old driver very conscientiously first (uninstalling DTS packs etc, just everything), then using CCleaner, and only then installing the new driver, or if it maybe just has something to do with using CCleaner itself?
Maybe the drivers work until OpenAL overwrites something, which it only does when... dunno, you install a game that uses it or something?

I did a fairly thorough uninstall on the old drivers: uninstalled everything from control panel, then booted into safe mode and used driver sweeper to get rid of everything Creative related.

I'm not really sure what this OpenAL override business is.
Last edited by Telos on Apr 12, 2012, 2:18:48 PM
Hello,
I do not have a BSOD but complete system crash (so a bit similar in worse in fact), also since 0.9.8. Had no issue before.

I did not try yet the nosound tip, maybe I will at once.

I'm not using a Creative soundcard but the on board Realtek one. Will check the drivers but yet it is strange I had no issue before and suddenly getting very regular crashes.

Imarion
Ok, I just had another BSOD. F..... It happened during the initial PoE loading screen; I heard a sound that indicates I got a message via my IM client. Maybe that's related to it... But I had Steam running and making sounds the last few times I played and everything went perfectly fine.

There has to be something that can be done!
I do not want to play without sound and can't switch to my onboard soundchip neither because my headset is connected via toslink...

EDIT: First time I had the pleasure of having one mid game. Didn't have ANY other program running, except my basic stuff, virus- and firewall, Nvidia panel and stuff like that...

I assume that the devs tell us what they try to do about it as soon as time allows it, but may I ask wheter these repeated BSOD reports (when, what circumstances etc.) help in any way? Otherwise I'd just stop posting here, knowing that GGG does what they can to fix the issue...
Last edited by mOr5 on Apr 13, 2012, 6:28:25 PM
Just a push to indicate the edit of my former post. ;)
"
rexroth wrote:
Attempt 1:
I tried the drivers Rory mentioned as well. The game ran fine for hours with no issue. Then I received a BSOD when I alt+tabbed to my desktop and launched Google Chrome.

I was running the game in windowed mode (full screen).

Attempt 2:
After restarting my system, I didn't launch any additional applications (no browser, no iTunes, IM clients, Steam, etc...). I also switched the game to full screen non-windowed mode. I played for another few hours WITHOUT a BSOD.

So now I'm wondering if the crash occurs when another application attempts to access the sound card while PoE is running?

Keep posting your results. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
Also found this thread http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/24560 where people are reporting crashes when running other apps that use the sound card.

Just got the beta yesterday, had three BSODs with portcls.sys as the culprit. Two happened while alt-tabbed (one just as I was starting a youtube video) and the other right when I was tabbing back in. I was able to play for hours so long as I didn't switch applications. I have a creative x-fi sound card, and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever in any other programs.

I just stumbled across this thread so I haven't had time to test any possible solutions but I'll give it a shot later. I also have another creative x-fi as my onboard sound, as well as a logitech g930 usb headset. If I have time I'll see if I can replicate the issue on those as well.

Any way, from my (limited) experience this does seem like a conflict with other applications trying to use the sound card simultaneously.
Just so you all know, for me, PoE is NOT the only game where this BSOD occurs. I've had it while playing Bit Trip Runner, too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info