BSOD with only POE

Ugh, this issue started appearing for me today as well.
I did some debugging with WinDBG too, I wonder if this information is helpful to the PoE developers.

Unfortunately I do not have the debugging symbols for ctaud2k.sys, would probably be helpful.

I uploaded the WinDBG details here:

First time: http://phantium.com/reports/bsod-portcls.txt
Second time: http://phantium.com/reports/bsod-portcls1.txt
I can actively reproduce it.

DxDiag: http://phantium.com/reports/DxDiag.txt

Update: After reading the Lotro post I installed the beta drivers, will see if this solves the issue. I will report back.

Update2: Still crashing, since I have two soundcards I will switch to my external one for now to work around this. My external is a Roland Cakewalk, so that should not be an issue.
Last edited by Phantium on Apr 23, 2012, 6:12:44 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem! In my case the BSODs simply said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, I had to look at the minidump files to see portcls.sys referenced and connect it to this thread.

Rory, it would be great if you could post a sticky about this referencing Creative cards, so more folks will know what's going on.

Going to try the latest beta driver 1st, see what happens.
Last edited by Stormreaver on Apr 30, 2012, 1:12:29 PM
yeah, hope to get fix soon for this soundcard problem..

im bored to play without sounds already :)
So far no crashes with the beta driver! Thanks for the linkage!
To make sure the devs are aware in case they tried to change it with the latest patch: as of 0.9.9, the portcls.sys blue screen still occurs (Using latest official beta driver).
The blue screen happens to me in 90% of cases after zoning to a new area. Using these drivers http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=587995 . I'm forced to use those due to a bug in the official drivers that mess up my stereo balancing under ASIO. I'm really tired of switching to another sound card just to play the game or risking data loss from blue screens.

Really want to play PoE but its just not an option currently. Hope you guys can fix this soon, creative cards are ultra common and it must be stopping many people from playing.

*edit* bah, I hate you GGG! using --nosound for the time because you b*stards make games FAR too good for me to stop playing :P Just to add though, as soon as the game goes open beta and the creative bug gets fixed you guys have a donation coming :) you SO damn well deserve it.
Remember, moderators on this forum get their feelings hurt VERY easily and will use any excuse to edit your post. Don't say anything that might upset them or they'll cry and throw a temper tantrum. This of course proves you were right and that they can't take it.
Last edited by Unclemart on May 9, 2012, 3:01:12 PM
I'm also experiencing the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD with a Creative X-Fi card. I've had two crashes so far. The second one was definitely as I zoned but I can't remember if the first one was from zoning or alt-tabbing back to PoE.
Constant crashing as well, portcls or PageFault error BSoDs.

I also have the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro. If I alt-tab it'll crash almost instantly, otherwise random from instant to 2 hours. Very frustrating.

I don't recall ever getting these before .99 patch. And I played quite a bit. Now it's so very frequent.

Last edited by Baluka76 on May 12, 2012, 3:02:54 PM
"
Stormreaver wrote:
So far no crashes with the beta driver! Thanks for the linkage!

Ive been playing for a week on the older driver and not crashed once until last night. Sometimes I play for hours and even manage to get through the bugged zones with sound issues. It actually took a group of people to make me aware of this issue it would seem.

Tends to tell me its channel related to overhead when running 64 or more channels. Perhaps a buffer problem somewhere I don't know but it's very odd to ever see a BSOD on this box. I haven't had problem with my Creatve in ages until now.

This bug needs to go...
I'm BSOD'ing hard with PoE.

Entering Vial Ruins in Act II, 100% BSODS my PC. It also BSODs randomly sometimes.
Last edited by n0odle on May 12, 2012, 6:03:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info