Player damage is out of control. POWER CREEPER

"
ghamadvar wrote:
"Tru hardcore fan". "Noobs". What is this definition-shit about? I still see all the "tru hardcore fans" around here. They are still streaming, playing, building. None are leaving.
Another strange thread that creates just some buzz for the fun of it in my opinion. I always thought that an arpg has the ultimate goal in killing mobs within seconds. Because you grinded for that gear. You min-maxed your char. You started just to end like this. Godlike. It is not about nerfing this powerful builds / items and concepts. It is about GGG implementing more challenge. Which brings me back to d3-grifts. Everything exploding in grift 70? Try 90+ instead. Good luck ;) That would be something i would love for POE. Especially if this grift-system would scale with exp. You want to go from 99 to 100? There would be a way better way now than running maps all day. I would love it. And the 1million-dps-builds would have something to do.
But what we have right now is good imo. Fast gameplay. Mobs per second as the final reward for grinding this grindiest of all grindy games. If you take this away, what is left then? I don't get why being godlike is something that has to be nerfed in an arpg. What is missing are more challenges.

Another thread for the buzz of it? i'm not the one making the buzz, you guys are, because you feel concerned in a way or another.

I never asked for nerfs myself, i even havent asked for challenging content for thoses "godlikes" characters that can carelessly faceroll everything, as you suggest. I was just crying about the actual powercreep.

The problem is not the available power but the power available against the content available!

After two hours of facerolling maps and bosses, what's left? Oh well it has been fun, now imma try something else! We optimized for 100 hours to reach the maximum out of something, for 2 hours worth of gameplay : YEAAH MY CREATION WORKS BUT I CANT USE IT AGAINST MEANINGFULL CONTENT !

POWERCREEP----------------------------------------------------------> (gazillion dps)
Content----------------->
oneshot ability---------------> ( you dont need gazillion dps to OS packs and rape bosses)
Fun-------------------------------> ( it stops shortly after the oneshot ability)

In D2, it was ultra easy to kill bosses in merciless, and ultra easy to MF farm, the only challenging content was the uber tristram with all the bosses at once and only few builds could do them easy peasy ( hello smiter!). It was already a bad balance.
But the "endgame" was so meaningless from the start that it didnt matter, there was no content after merciless after all,only some few additions to keep the addicteds.

In PoE, it's very different, MF is a noob trap, the farm is slower, the endgame is "meaningfull" (maps, masters, atziri, challenges etc), a lot of builds can destroy the endgame content ( come on, far more than 10, closer than 50, 100+ if we include variation of gear/tree and skill gem) - yes i pull out thoses numbers out of my ass.

So yeah, Powercreep vs content is a problem since 2.0 and becomes more evident with ascendancy 8 points.

It will not ruin the game, it makes it too fast and less enjoyable in my opinion.

I kill Uber izaro within 1-2 seconds and abyss kaom within 3 seconds max.

It's fun the first time, but we cannot call it challenging. Is it my fault to play a very powerfull build - that is not maintstream nor considered op? i dont think.

It's just the powarcreep for ya.

So i could shoot an arrow in my knee.... but it's stupid, right?

Come on, my max dps was less than 500 000 before ascendancy, i sit now between a minimum of 5M to a max of 20M (480 DPS TWO HAND SWORD) and i could get 35 M with a mirrored 2H exquisite blade

I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Jun 21, 2016, 7:48:52 AM
I agree with pretty much everything OP said.

Core problem is though, damage balance is just so poorly done in this game.

Your build doesn't matter.
7-8k Life, capped resists & armor reduction, max block.
Or
3-4k Life glasscannon.

Both build will occasionally get oneshot.
"
ghamadvar wrote:
I get you. But i don't think that a general nerf or even focussed nerfs will solve this problem. The problem lies within the fact that there are no class-bound items or even classes in a typical way in POE. If you want a diverse skilltree, open classes, only stat-bound skills (int, str, dex) and items and even ascendancy-classes open for every type of build, the 10ex vs. 100ex problem will never be solved imo. What could solve this problem would be, as i said before, more challenge. Take the "immune to eveything" mobs from d2 for example. You had a godlike build, let's say fire-based. And then there came the fire-immune beasts. And you were running for your life.
The map system has some of these challenges already implemented. Some mods cannot be done with certain builds. Fine. But it needs to get more heavy than that.

I dream of challenges that can only be done with certain build-styles. After years of existence, POE (or: GGG) should be able to determine way better what kind of styles there are. If you create more endgame bosses with different loot-tables and different vulnerabilities and immunities, there would be more incentives to create diversified builds, to give chances to 10ex and 100ex builds. And so on. Maybe i am totally and terribly wrong. But i think that a grift-system PLUS more "balanced" and handmade (and not randomly created) challenges would be a thing. This plus killing the one-shot-concepts and implementing more patterns to bosses and encounters in general. So that skill is really needed. And not just luck. Vaal-Oversoul (is that the name?^^) is a good example for a boss that is the way to go. Hell, even Malachai, if the floor was a little bit larger...

And to answer your question: If a game is well designed there is no such thing like OPness. There are only moments where you feel OP. You've build this fire-heavy mage and you encounter weak-to-fire-mobs. OP. You encounter a fire-elemental: Not so OPish ;) It is important to feel godlike, as i said. But i believe that you can only feel godlike if there are elements in a game that remind you of still being a mortal :) So: don't nerf the build that one-shots Uber-Atziri. Just implement a boss that cannot be one-shotted by this build. But can be devastated by the 2000ex build. There should be a reason to spend 2000ex. More than just feeling mirrorish ;)

So: leave the game as it is in terms of builds, powerlevel and stuff. Just implement more and better challenges. Created based on the actual game. Look at the builds, look at your items, your BiS-Gems, your strongest acendancy classes and so on. And then focus on challenging them. I don't know. Maybe this is a horrible idea. But i think it is way better than just generally nerf stuff as you proposed (no offence!). 50% off to all aoe-stuff? That is a dangerous path imo.

Btw.: What do you think of an implementation of the d3-system: Barbs, Monks and Crusaders take 30% less damage (it was 30% right?). In POE you could do this for example by giving "takes X percent less damage" or "increases max-elemental resistance X by X percent" to melee-skills.

Good stuff here they should hire you. Yeah was 30% on the melee classes. And they are doing that here with ascendancy. Juggs for example can get full EC like 8-9 pretty easy and thats over 30% phys reduction. Then his fortify is better than anyone elses. Ascendancy stuff is great. One of the good moves they made since i been here. They still need to tone shit down until they hire you. Power creep is real and really boring. Like god mode hack up to 14 maps with most builds these days.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 21, 2016, 8:13:29 AM
Spoiler
"
Geisalt wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:
"Tru hardcore fan". "Noobs". What is this definition-shit about? I still see all the "tru hardcore fans" around here. They are still streaming, playing, building. None are leaving.
Another strange thread that creates just some buzz for the fun of it in my opinion. I always thought that an arpg has the ultimate goal in killing mobs within seconds. Because you grinded for that gear. You min-maxed your char. You started just to end like this. Godlike. It is not about nerfing this powerful builds / items and concepts. It is about GGG implementing more challenge. Which brings me back to d3-grifts. Everything exploding in grift 70? Try 90+ instead. Good luck ;) That would be something i would love for POE. Especially if this grift-system would scale with exp. You want to go from 99 to 100? There would be a way better way now than running maps all day. I would love it. And the 1million-dps-builds would have something to do.
But what we have right now is good imo. Fast gameplay. Mobs per second as the final reward for grinding this grindiest of all grindy games. If you take this away, what is left then? I don't get why being godlike is something that has to be nerfed in an arpg. What is missing are more challenges.

Another thread for the buzz of it? i'm not the one making the buzz, you guys are, because you feel concerned in a way or another.

I never asked for nerfs myself, i even havent asked for challenging content for thoses "godlikes" characters that can carelessly faceroll everything, as you suggest. I was just crying about the actual powercreep.

The problem is not the available power but the power available against the content available!

After two hours of facerolling maps and bosses, what's left? Oh well it has been fun, now imma try something else! We optimized for 100 hours to reach the maximum out of something, for 2 hours worth of gameplay : YEAAH MY CREATION WORKS BUT I CANT USE IT AGAINST MEANINGFULL CONTENT !

POWERCREEP----------------------------------------------------------> (gazillion dps)
Content----------------->
oneshot ability---------------> ( you dont need gazillion dps to OS packs and rape bosses)
Fun-------------------------------> ( it stops shortly after the oneshot ability)

In D2, it was ultra easy to kill bosses in merciless, and ultra easy to MF farm, the only challenging content was the uber tristram with all the bosses at once and only few builds could do them easy peasy ( hello smiter!). It was already a bad balance.
But the "endgame" was so meaningless from the start that it didnt matter, there was no content after merciless after all,only some few additions to keep the addicteds.

In PoE, it's very different, MF is a noob trap, the farm is slower, the endgame is "meaningfull" (maps, masters, atziri, challenges etc), a lot of builds can destroy the endgame content ( come on, far more than 10, closer than 50, 100+ if we include variation of gear/tree and skill gem) - yes i pull out thoses numbers out of my ass.

So yeah, Powercreep vs content is a problem since 2.0 and becomes more evident with ascendancy 8 points.

It will not ruin the game, it makes it too fast and less enjoyable in my opinion.

I kill Uber izaro within 1-2 seconds and abyss kaom within 3 seconds max.

It's fun the first time, but we cannot call it challenging. Is it my fault to play a very powerfull build - that is not maintstream nor considered op? i dont think.

It's just the powarcreep for ya.

So i could shoot an arrow in my knee.... but it's stupid, right?

Come on, my max dps was less than 500 000 before ascendancy, i sit now between a minimum of 5M to a max of 20M (480 DPS TWO HAND SWORD) and i could get 35 M with a mirrored 2H exquisite blade

To be honest: sorry. I realised pretty soon that i accused you of something you did not do. My bad. I missed the topic of powercreep a bit i would say ;) Maybe i was triggered by the "hardcore-noob" shit i quoted. The buzz was not on you.

But still i believe that all the problems come from one thing: This game cannot be balanced around the same concepts as other arpg. Just because tree, ascendancy classes, skill- and gearsystem and so on are so diverse that there is only one way imo to solve this "problem": Give us more challenges. True challenges. Handmade and focussed on the actual game. I hate that english is not my mothertongue. I could describe way better what i mean if it would be ...
To say it this way: In it's actual state, this game is designed around nothing but a motto or a philosophy, that's how i see it. Something like "POE is meant to be this and that way and so we do it like this". But the game has changed. People like mathil (the pros, let's leave it with that) are pushing the game to it's limits constantly in terms of "what is possible". People like me (the casuals) are pushing it constantly in terms of "what is necessary". A philosophy is necessary. But at some point not only the players havge to adapt to a game. The game has to adapt to it's players. Take the lab for example. As an implementation for more game-content it is okay or even great (i mean, it's for free!). But as soon as it got to become a philosophy ("That's how we roll!") it became dangerous. It forced the players (possible / necessary) to adapt to it without adapting to them. If this makes any sense at all xD

@aim: Thanks! I also think that ascendancy stuff is great. But things like your example still force people to chose certain paths to achieve what in my opinion should be a general thing: Give damage reduction to melee skills. It would be cool, i think. Imagine a general "less damage taken" earthquake marauder combined with the Juggernaut perk! ;)

Damn. Tuff topic.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Jun 21, 2016, 8:18:15 AM
thank for your understanding :3

I dont hope that they will change the game, at this point they will not nerf us and they will noooot change the balance midgame because it's actually quite balanced ( ACT 4 damage is still sometimes overtuned)

Thoo we have, compared to the end game content, too many multiplicative options for our damage leading to a pack oneshot fest, it's a fact.

GGG tried to counter that by making the labyrinth, it doesnt require a lot of dps, it has a lot of strategy and has a difficulty that "should" be always the same for every character, they failed completely but it was the main idea behind it, i guess.

I dislike the lab but i approve the idea behind it.

Now, path of exile has two choices:

To create new map tier and multiply the monster's hp by 30 and grants more exp per mobs with more interesting rolls on rares items( higher ILVL items or more chance to get good ILVL affixes) and more currency per time spent. We kill slower, so we potentially take more damage; so we have a sense of accomplishment and a challenge. Bosses dont need to oneshot us, they will take more time.

Or include a fast run system. If we clean the map extremely fast, we get a reward. A map, a currency, a card.... something that is RNG and motivating to keep rushing thoses maps at the speed of the light.

With differents reward depending of the time spent in the map.

an example for gorge
Under 1:30 : a RNG card that could drop in the map itself
Under 2:10 : a map one tier lower than the map used
Under 2:40 : a little currency ( fusing, chaos, 3 jews...)
( thoses number should be balanced with the type of map and layout)
Depending of the number of affixes on the map, the lime left to gain a reward is increased.
15 seconds per affix. With 6 affixes, 90 seconds

( with temp chain even the timer goes slower)
OF course, when we die we lose a lot of time.
This way, we have a goal, a reward, a challenge. The powercreep becomes usefull and we have a pressure, something to achieve.

OR a mix of both is cool too.
Hm. A speed-reward could be a cool idea! But what about:

You have let's say 5 counters:

Damage dealt / Damage taken / Time / Mobs left / Mods on map (counts double?)
And you could add things like Boss time / flasks used / portals used and stuff.

There are 6 grades in every categorie. A stands for the best, F stands for the worst result.
Then there are different rewards for each categorie. In different tiers. Every categorie has different types of rewards. For damage dealt there can be rare diamond rings, rustic sashes and stuff. For damage taken there can be things like leather belts, resist rings and so on. Just examples, this has to be thought out very well. Now:

If you reach A in DD, C in DT, A in T and A in ML with C in MoM you get 5 rewards. Tier A, Tier C, Tier A, Tier A, Tier C.
I know that the problem at the moment is that high damage means high chances in all 5 categories, but this can be tuned or adapted. I would love something like this. Or maybe just one general rank by addition of each result and dividing it by 5 or 6? And then you have a loot table where you can chose your reward?

If A to F does not do it, one could call it "race of the everthirsty souls" or some fluff shit.

If this is designed well enough it could give some new incentives. Or is this nonsense? ;)

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
"
Xtorma wrote:
I remember when spinesnap was scary.
Yeah, back when Dual Spark was good and people farmed Lunaris for EXP and Loot.

Back when people actually played in groups on short allocation in random parties with other players.

That was a fucking terrible time why the fuck would anyone want that back lol
Because i love sweeping up currency like a vacuum and seeing people panic and die because of it lmao.

Oh the good days where an exalt would drop and people would freak out on short allocation and die while vuln'd by a titty bitch pack.

In all seriousness that shit was a blast, probably some of the most hilarious things ive seen happen, happened back then. You dont get that kind of entertainment anymore.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
I am actually fine with the current monster life... they do need a serious puff into their damage, sparkers+other casters are a good start

e: exiles/bosses should have like x10 amount of life and double damage
d:-D*
Last edited by PyleWarlord on Jun 21, 2016, 10:44:21 AM
i understand your point, however it's more suited to a MOBA or STR or mmorpg gameplay than PoE

As you said, only kill speed matters and requires too many changes in the gameplay to use damage taken counter or tankability medal sysem...

Differents grades or medals, why not, but they will all refer to the way of killing.

In labyrinth it's another story and we could use your system.

However i think it requires too much work, a lot of codings :/ for an inefficient system in the end: ppls will rush the maps and get reward for rushing stuff faster and faster.

so let's attack the core of the problem: powercreep and fastrun system directly!
"
PyleWarlord wrote:
I am actually fine with the current monster life... they do need a serious puff into their damage, sparkers+other casters are a good start

e: exiles/bosses should have like x10 amount of life and double damage

yeah damage done by monster is already high, they just do not have the time to hit. SO if we give them more hp, first they will have time to attack and second they will not be stunned ALL THE TIME, so they can attack even more!

Some bosses require more life, true but i do not believe that we should increase the difficulty of low tier maps... We need higher tier maps like Gorge, crematorium, excavation, abyss... but wih boosted HP. Or something else.

"

So i have the ultimate solution: a New currency, like a sacrifice item, that we use with a map in the map device.

it shall be easy to get, not rng gated, worths a chaos, and it shall add 5000% monster life ( 51 times life) and 800% xp ( 9 times) and the map DOESNT DROP ITEMS, ONLY CURRENCIES AND MAPS at a normal droprate.

Let's call this new currency " Obnoxious omen"

Obnoxious Omen also adds a new mechanic to the map: Rush

A map with rush has a 5 mins counter. When the times runs out, it stops the player and monster movements.

Then the player is rewarded by the amount of monsters killed. If the player kills the boss, he gets a good reward on top of the other rewards. It also depends of the type of map and it's tier.

Then, after the reward phase, the button " return to town/hideout" is shown in big. The player cannot move anymore so it's the only option left anyway.

This way, we dont care about loot itself, but still spend time to pick the worthy currencies and maps. We can ruuush and compare the kill speed, while having rewards at the end for our efficiency.

Note that to prevent or avoid any bug, the leader of the party can choose to END the map manually with a BIG "stop button", then the rush system will give the reward, block the player and force him to leave as said before.

Note that most normal monsters in T10+ have 10K life, with rush they get 510 000 life!
So to clean the whole map, it needs to deals a lot of damage, because we cannot stun easily we take a lot of damage too!

In short, it's a race against the game, and the powercreep becomes needed to be EFFICIENT IN THIS MODE.
Last edited by Geisalt on Jun 21, 2016, 11:41:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info