Path of Exile seems to perform poorly on ATI/AMD cards?

This doesn't bode too well..

"
Rory wrote:
There are some effects we are unable to preload at the moment, and we'll improve this in future! As for general effects framerate loss, we're going to be optimizing a lot of this kind of thing later in development, but while everything is currently subject to change, this isn't a priority.

Quote take from this thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/114830/page/1.
Unbelievable, but I don't think they realize the extent of the problem. Act 3 is just impossible for me right now, especially in groups, but even when I solo.
I'm sure GGG is well aware of these issues, but I still want to add my experiences to the thread

I have HD 6800, and at idle in town I'm getting 110-140 fps. Shooting poison arrow at 2,7aps takes it down to 50-60 (when I have all my video setting set to the lowest as I have now done). But the real problem comes from stuff like gmp Ice Spear, where the fps drops to a 0 for a good 1-4 seconds for the first shot. Then when I was playing a 5 man group and two people had gmp Ice Spear totems and other effect heavy skills, I was literally getting a steady 1-5 fps during every battle. Other effects do this as well, but this one is a great example. I have played a myriad of other games - aaa games (like Skyrim, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect 3 etc.) on the highest, or second to highest settings with a steady 60fps, so I'm pretty confident that this has in fact something to do with this particular game.
IGN: Jatkojohto
Last edited by Ninmi on Feb 16, 2013, 8:46:45 AM
ATI 5650 here. I can safely say that even in solo play, as a summoner, the performance is beyond terrible. It is unplayable. I run into a group, freeze, and either collect loot or die after the snapshot. It's sad if the quote above about this issue being low priority for GGG is true. Game performance should be always top priority. I can't care less for some bugs or balance issues, even new content, if the performance stays in its current state, I'm sure I'm not alone ot this one...
Sooner or later they must do something about this or at least address this issue in some way. For their sake it should be sooner because provided that people will still be playing I don't see anyone frustrated by this issue spending any money in the shop and that, in the end, is much worse for GGG. So, hopefuly, someone from their team will respond to this problem and to be honest I'm quite surprisded we haven't heard from them by now...
bumping this, I can't play on groups cause of the game getting fps spikes from 120 to 2-4, even playing solo some effects make the same problem, like lightning arrow and ice spear
Have the same issue with my Radeon 4850. When I fighting regular mobs I have like 30-60 FPS, depending on the environment, but NO SPIKES or FREEZES. But when some unique mob appears, or boss, or some mob with new spell, then it all goes crazy. It drops like to 0 FPS for 0.250-1.5 seconds any time these Unique casting some spells. I have to just run around, back and forward, and all over the place, just waiting all this staff to load properly to stop giving me spikes. But it still continuing to make spikes, but not as terrible as in the beginning of the encounter.

When I was fighting Marveil on Normal, I was just running around the first 15 seconds of the battle, cause it was impossible to do anything because of these spikes.

I quited HC becuase of this problem. Well ok, i can learn the game better in SC, but i can hardly see myself playing on merciless with these spikes even in SC. It's just unenjoyable and really frastrating. Hope GGG will fix this soon enough.
i have an i5 ati 5650HD.
I was running it on a laptop.
the game broke my laptop from overheating the graphics card.

BEWARE.
HD6850 I have a friends list that I can't use until this is fixed. Act 3 totally unplayable. Can't play in parties without certain death. So many people posting this as an issue to the most awesome game of the decade. YET...it is not a priority. That makes me sad.
"
Tisca wrote:
"
jantjeuh wrote:
"
Tisca wrote:
No issues with HD6950 BUT I'm still running ccc 12.10.
AA 4, AF 4x, High.
Up to 170 FPS. (Didn't get to try with more demanding scenarios)

Have you tried playing with high settings (variance shadows, 16x AF, 4xAA) in act 3 and/or in a group, because that's were most of the problems seem to occur?

Haven't played higher setting since I set it up after install. Didn't notice any visual benefits cranking it higher. Maybe graphics have changed since then. I'll test those settings next time if I'll remember.

I now see the problem sometimes. I think it's skill animation specific. (same old settings)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info