Path of Exile seems to perform poorly on ATI/AMD cards?

Hello,

I want to buy a AMD R9 280X Card soon and would like to know if anyone had any issues with Path of Exile using this card. I just want to be sure that I will be able to play one of my favourite games without problems :)

Thank you for answering.
you do know this thread is over a year old and that since then they have reduced/ almost eliminated the fps problems that ATI/AMD suffered, atm the only things that effect your FPS are some stuff not being preloaded from strong boxes and effect heavy parties but that on both ATI/AMD and Nvidia
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Thank you for the information.
I don;t know about your country but when I order something online from a Dutch webshop I can send it back within a week to get my money back if I'm unsatisfied.

This is a policy defined by law for Dutch internet shops at least.
"Hello,

I want to buy a AMD R9 280X Card soon and would like to know if anyone had any issues with Path of Exile using this card. I just want to be sure that I will be able to play one of my favourite games without problems :)

Thank you for answering."

Hi m8, im sad to say that my AMD R9 280X + SSD lag like a mother fucker in path of exile. To bad a game that in other ways are very good is created like it's a mid 1990 game :<

Gues I'll be going back to d3 when 2.1 comes for smooth gameplay and end game pushing.

To bad for a in other ways good product :<
"
Startkabels wrote:
I put it between quotes for a reason, that is how GGG literally labeled systems like that in their answer on this issue.

But yeah ATI HD GPU cards can be considered as "older".

You're right, the problem is the game. I know that the game should run fine on those cards considering the performance of other games on those cards.

But it doesn't so my answer still stands...

Well, since R9 260, 270, and 280 and their X versions all use the exact same cores that were used in the HD7xxx series, they cannot even be considered older.
They are essentially the same card rebranded with a few improvements to efficiency.

New Cards apart from the 290 are the same GPU rebranded with a few efficiency tweaks.

And yes, some R9 gpus still have problems where NV cards don't have them, especially during heavy particles.
"
darkmatch wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for answering.

A 280x is vastly more than enough for PoE. The issue seems to be the CPU in PoE in my experience. I used to get frame freezes all the time, then I recently bought an i5 4690k and it literally vanished. Sometimes a ton of particles and effects cause a small glitch, but it is like night and day.

Yes that card is more than enough. If there are issues it is PoE or CPU, not a 280x
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
you do know this thread is over a year old and that since then they have reduced/ almost eliminated the fps problems that ATI/AMD suffered, atm the only things that effect your FPS are some stuff not being preloaded from strong boxes and effect heavy parties but that on both ATI/AMD and Nvidia

Well, I got the same problem with a 7970. 200FPS but in 5 or 6 man parties, FPS go to shit.
Can't be the CPU either because it's an i7-3820K clocked at 4.5Ghz. I even run the game off a PCIe SSD for faster loading times, to no avail.
Do I really have to buy an Nvidia card to play this game in a full party??

:(
Guys...Make sure you're CPU is compatible with PoE. CPU in a way is more important then GPU, having an i7 8core 2.xghz doesn't mean you will play POE well, it means the apposite i dont think it even is a gaming cpu. POE runs good with very fast 2core cpu's , even if your graphics is pretty shit, my 7850 runs poe fine, never over 30% usage, my bottleneck is that poe uses only 1 core on my 8 core cpu, so i overclock that 1 core to 4.2ghz JUST to barely play the game on texture 6...there have been serious fps issues introduced in 1.2, and mine are caused by even MORE LOAD on 1 cpu.

VERY IMPORTANT READ.

If you want to know if you're gpu is the ishue just open on another screen or monitor all the usage on your CPU's while gaming and look for whats happening on both cpu and cpu ( open all cores to see % usage ) because like i said my issue is it using 1 core and making it hang like mad because TOO MUCH INFO.
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D
Last edited by Sawm on Sep 28, 2014, 8:07:34 AM
"
xaju wrote:
I mitigated some of the FPS drops by using RadeonPro. I used it on D3 and it seemed to have done something on this game aswell.

I tested this with playing on my ranger with Quill Rain equipped and using Lightning Arrow + Chain / Lightning Arrow + LMP and spamming Poison Arrow with 3 Frenzy stacks (4.65 attacks per second in total) in a 6 player Docks group, and I didn't lag as much as before.

I think my lowest FPS was 25 with the program, as before it could go as low as 5 or 0.
It might help, or it might not.

Specs:
Intel i5 760 3.8 GHz
4 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5850, latest beta drivers installed just before testing.
1 Tb HDD
Windows 8 Pro

This is what I did:
- Download and install RadeonPro (Google is your friend)
- Setup a profile for Path of Exile
- Advanced > Flip Queue Size to 0
- Tweaks > Check Force aggressive API detection, Disable Aero, Force Process High Priority and Triple Buffering
- Ingame enable vsync

7750 here reporting in. Having been struggling with very poor performance while playing with everything on low, making it 'okay' to play, with some real strugge with ice/desecrated ground effect, I decided to google it up and found this thread. I used xaju's advice, gave it a go with everything on high and AA at x8. Bam. 60 fps, even with heavy mob packs and ice in a shore map. Thanks so much, hope this fix works for everyone here!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info