Elemental Hit

Has anyone else noticed that this skill works with unarmed attacks? I think there might be some fun to be had here...

Edit: Hmmm... and so does frenzy... interesting.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jun 30, 2012, 3:08:21 PM
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that this skill works with unarmed attacks? I think there might be some fun to be had here...

Edit: Hmmm... and so does frenzy... interesting.

Seriously ?
Ok I'm going to make a fist build :D

edit : problem is that being unarmed has no advantage whatsoever. Whatever you do unarmed, you can't do it better armed.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Jul 1, 2012, 10:08:38 AM
Very true. There's no way to get a dual wielding bonus, and are you truly unarmed if you use punching + shield?

The other problem I'm running into is a lack of reasonable AoE (which is a deal-breaker for me, but maybe not for others). The only thing I can think of is Elemental Hit + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation with an Anger aura active.

My first thought was to try for a crit build, but the character sheet seems to indicate that crit can't be increased for unarmed attacks. Whether this means the character sheet doesn't know what to do with unarmed attacks, or if you can't actually crit more often than 5% of the time while unarmed, I have not been able to determine so far. The second would obviously kill off the crit build idea instead of just making it difficult to pull off due to low base crit value.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jul 1, 2012, 4:57:18 PM
I believe the unarmed attack has no base critical strike chance - as a result, no matter how many increases you stack on it, it will have a crit chance of 0%, which is lifted to the minimum 5%.
It also seems like Increased Elemental Weapon Damage mods aren't working when you use Elemental Hit with unarmed attacks. That actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it...
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
It also seems like Increased Elemental Weapon Damage mods aren't working when you use Elemental Hit with unarmed attacks. That actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it...
No, your fists are still weapons. Fists are the best weapons.
However, because the damage from elemental hit isn't part of the skill until it's used (because only one of the three elements will be added) only the base values for the added damage are ever displayed. We'll be able to change that in future (hopefully).
Actually, I knew about that. I was attempting to test it by using a level 15 elemental hit skill unarmed on a character that had about +140% worth of Weapon Elemental Damage vs the same elemental hit unarmed on a character that had none, and I was not seeing much of a difference in damage on mobs in the same area.

I'm gonna try it again though... I can think of a few things I might have screwed up to throw off the results.

Edit: I'm noticing a difference, though it doesn't seem to be large enough to account for 240% of normal damage. Then again, there's a large range of damage to account for and a big difference depending on which element is picked. It's hard to get a good sense of average damage with so many factors involved.
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jul 4, 2012, 10:35:49 PM
Does this skill still not show properly on the DPS pop up skill tab given the uncertainty about which elemental effect is added? If so, any plans to somehow account for this (take an average?).

Petrov.
I'd prefer it to list three numbers with color codes for "added lightning" "Added fire" and "added cold" so I can see how the DPS might change depending on what attack I randomly pick. Though an average might give me a better idea of damage over time, it wouldn't let me know what my best hits were going to be.

I also support making this a support gem instead of an active skill.
Last edited by JohnChance on Jul 27, 2012, 10:19:37 AM
Is it just me or does Elemental Hit never show up in quest rewards? I haven't gone through the Duelist in normal yet, but it never showed up for me as a Ranger or as Shadow.

"
JohnChance wrote:
I'd prefer it to list three numbers with color codes for "added lightning" "Added fire" and "added cold" so I can see how the DPS might change depending on what attack I randomly pick. Though an average might give me a better idea of damage over time, it wouldn't let me know what my best hits were going to be.

I also support making this a support gem instead of an active skill.

Making this a support gem would only make it extremely OP or be UP because GGG would have to severely limit its usage through mana costs.

What Prydain, an avid user of Elemental Hit (he was a top 5 Ranger in the previous HC ladder that extensively utilized elemental hit) said that was to split the Elemental Hit up into something like Fire/Ice Gem, Ice/Lightning Gem, and then Fire/Lightning Gem. He believes that would make it abit more interesting.
Last edited by allbusiness on Jul 29, 2012, 12:24:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info