Elemental Hit

Okay, thank you much. Guess I just didn't notice the damage difference. Thanks!
I posted this earlier but i think i posted in the wrong thread :)

in order to calculate elemental hit damage, dont you just have to multiply each element by 0.33 (if each element has a 33% chance to occur)?

lets take my level 7 elemental hit for example:
23-42 fire damage
19-35 cold damage
4-70 lightning damage

and if we average it:
23+42 /2 = 32.5 average fire damage
19+35 /2 = 27 average cold damage
4+70 /2 = 37 average lightning damage

and then *0.33 on each element and then add them together:
32.5 * 0.33 = 10.725
27 * 0.33 = 8.91
37 * 0.33 = 12.21

10.725 + 8.91 + 12.21 = 31.845 average elemental damage

ofc there is more that goes into calculation like elemental damage% and critchance% but should not this be doable if my calculations are correct? :)
I guess i'm lucky :

Unavailable

I'm wondering how viable it would be to make a build around that one.

I'd like to use Elemental equilibrium ( combine with elemental weakness ) but the investment on all the ele dmg node plus critical seems a lot.

I was thinking of going that route with a shadow ( cause i love shadow ) :

Probably with the Quill rain bow.
I have no idea if it will be enough DPS.

Is there someone here who did try that already ?
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
super_maZon wrote:
I guess i'm lucky :

Unavailable

I'm wondering how viable it would be to make a build around that one.

I'd like to use Elemental equilibrium ( combine with elemental weakness ) but the investment on all the ele dmg node plus critical seems a lot.

I was thinking of going that route with a shadow ( cause i love shadow ) :

Probably with the Quill rain bow.
I have no idea if it will be enough DPS.

Is there someone here who did try that already ?

I have tried Quill rain and elemental hit, but the problem i ran into is mana. since quill rain is so fast, it drains your mana just as fast.

my first try was a shadow and in the shadow part of the passive tree i dont find many mana passives, but with your build going through witch maybe you could find some mana passives around there.

currently im building a duelist with quill rain and i found some nice mana passives near the duellist starting passives. :)
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah i hear you, that quill rain bow consume mana so much.

Mana leech will be the obvious one. It's a shame cause the quality boost the critical strike chance ( and there's lot of node for that near the shadow tree ) so i'm afraid i won't be able to completely exploit that part of the gem.

Beside that did you find your build doing enough damage ? I'm wondering cause we have to take 3 ele dmg instead of usually one. Is Elemental hit going to have enough damage in itself ?
Last edited by super_maZon on Sep 2, 2012, 6:33:05 AM
Quill Rain halves the damage on Elemental Hit, same as any other direct damage dealt with it. You'll eventually, probably not all that far into the future, want to switch to a different weapon anyways.
"
super_maZon wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah i hear you, that quill rain bow consume mana so much.

Mana leech will be the obvious one. It's a shame cause the quality boost the critical strike chance ( and there's lot of node for that near the shadow tree ) so i'm afraid i won't be able to completely exploit that part of the gem.

Beside that did you find your build doing enough damage ? I'm wondering cause we have to take 3 ele dmg instead of usually one. Is Elemental hit going to have enough damage in itself ?

for my shadow build i did this spec:

it worked through normal and ruthless but after that i swiched to another bow and i still have trouble :) i did try to get as much elemental damage on items as possible and linked elemental hit with weapon elemental damage gem. so damage was nice but i still had mana problems, and getting the val's protector armor didnt help with the mana either ^^
at least you people had good idea for elemental hit+ elemental equilibrium. random elements causes near always 25% damage boost.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Quill Rain halves the damage on Elemental Hit, same as any other direct damage dealt with it. You'll eventually, probably not all that far into the future, want to switch to a different weapon anyways.

Ho i did miss that one. The added elemental dmg of Elemental hit is consider as weapon damage ? That's weird. :/

For now i'm doing ok, but it's just the first run so nothing surprising. Well, i want to use EE for a long time so i'll keep up with that build, we'll see. :)
This is one of my favorite skill gems, it is well designed and though it is graphically boring, it is very fun to build around. It also has an incredibly powerful quality bonus, lending it to strong critical builds.

I tried using it with my quill rain build after explosive arrow was nerfed into uselessness, but I have the same problem as everyone else: mana.

I was using blood magic, 1.3k hp, 40 regen/sec and my ele hit was costing over 50 per shot. Suffice to say, 5 attacks per second means I have to use a flask every time I engage an enemy that doesn't die in one or two hits, and even then I still outstripped my flask heal rate with my attack speed.

I think what needs to be done is to reduce the overall damage output of the gem from quality, to 2% crit per 1% quality, to keep it more in line with the other gems. Then, reduce its mana cost by about 20%, to compensate for the fact that it is ideally used with high attack speed builds, and those consume mana proportionately faster than others. All in all though, excellent skill.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot, please add an animation for it other than 'basic attack', because that is the only thing this skill is truly lacking. I'd aim for something like a swirl based on the element it randomly selects around the character and his/her weapon arm, and then if its a swing use the 'swoosh' effect from heavy strike to add more color and flare, maybe some crackling lightning along it if its lightning etc.. and if its a projectile, colorize and add effects for those as well, like ice crystals left behind in the air and such.
Last edited by xenogfan43 on Sep 16, 2012, 7:07:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info