Maps drop are okay

"
demon9675 wrote:

Yes, it does seem like Zana nerf just added insult to injury. I've heard it was to prevent people from creating a million accounts and chaining Zana dailies all day, but frankly that's still a problem and should be addressed separately...

Was that ever an issue? Even so, if people go through the trouble of leveling Zana to 8 on a million accounts they deserve their million dailies imo.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
Boem wrote:

You can't gate content behind difficulty, because there is no difficulty. PoE is a numbers game and once you reach a certain threshold or abuse certain mechanics you trivialize content.

As long as you only use ingame mechanics without any kind of bugs involved that is nothing but using and in no way abusing!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
vachadavid wrote:
I see a lot of nerdrage post about people saying they cant find 74-76s
Please, lets get real, if you cant sustain a map pool below 76, it IS because your rolling them too easy, not chiseling or not vaaling.

I've been chiselling and alching 72s even and have yet to get more than a couple 74s, to the point where I just said fuck it and made a second character.

No reason to do maps when there's no progress, may as well just stick on MF gear and run 70s forever, which gets old.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Love how op is trying to be a hipster/troll and just got rekt by everyone.
Well the mid-tier maps seem okeyish to sustain, not good but not great either. However the issue is exspecially (or mainly only) for soloplayers that this already costs a lot of currency.

6 people need as much currency to roll one map as one person does, however with 6 people the map is a lot easier (since mop-hp don't increase by 100% per player) and if they stick together the map drops a lot more currency.

It isn't really that hard to create maps that allow you to sustain high map-pools, it is however hard to get the 20 chaos you need per map (I'm not really counting the 4 chisels and 3 fragments, they are peanuts compared^^).

Also I don't think you need to get to 100, so I don't mind having lower maps for that reason. However I actually would like to see them and test my character against them, I'm fairly certain I am able to do most of them, however I don't have access to them. I'm also not sure if they shifted the levels of uniques found im maps, if they do it also means that not having these maps means no access to those uniques besides, of course, trading.

I'm level 82 and the highest map I did thus far was lvl72 and I still level extremly well. I normally just alc my maps and some I like get a Vaal Orb. I don't really run maps to get higher maps, since at this level they just sustain themself. I'm simply building a pool of 73 and 74 maps. The issue I have right now that I did get a few 74s but they are all unidentified Torture Chambers and even though the temptation is very high to get 30% on top of that rare map I don't really know if I can take down the boss. But all maps lvl72 or lower I love running unidentified. They don't really get me much maps, but some cool uniques. Got Geofrys Crest and Queen of the Forest in a 101% Quantity Channel Map yesterday, not super-rare uniques, but it was cool to find something that is not Sadimas Touch or Screaming Eagle.

I still have fun with the situation, exspecially since Zana offers me some of the high-maps at lower levels from time to time. But I would really like to get a shot at those uniques and eventually see the new high maps in person. I'm not even sure if someone did a Core-map I was fairly certain that someone would brag about it, but maybe they didn't or nobody cared and I actually missed the thread^^.
"
They are absolutely NOT okay.

Content should be GATED by difficulty NOT RNG, Watch everyone quote this post.

QFmotherfuckin'T
"
Dr1MaR wrote:
I guess GGG doesn't want us to get bored and quit the game because you run out of things to do.

I can only speak for myself, but i'm getting bored as shit by constantly running maps below level 73. So that strategy is at least debatable...
"
vachadavid wrote:
I see a lot of nerdrage post about people saying they cant find 74-76s
Please, lets get real, if you cant sustain a map pool below 76, it IS because your rolling them too easy, not chiseling or not vaaling.

I only had problem to sustain my pool when i reached 77+, feel like at that point its getting hard to sustain, but thats NORMAL, 78 used to be the max and GGG even said they WANTED the higher maps (79+) to be really rare to avoid people just chaining them and reach 100 in a couple days.

The way map drop are right now is perfect, it forces you to roll your high map really hard to be able to sustain, so even if your high level and geared, you still get a challenge and you also have the options to be less tanky with more dps or MF by losing some map drop potential.

That was my 2 cents, stop complaining and go play D3 if you want to have everything given to you without effort :/

If you can sustain 74-76 you are RNG lucky. Period. Your streak will end, at which point you will be relegated to running 72-73 maps and have the same opinion as everyone that is currently complaining... that map drops are ridiculous bad.

Also, sustaining 74-76 in 2.0 is like sustaining 72-74 in 1.3. Nothing to brag about. You are 5 map levels below the top end.
"
diablofdb wrote:
Map drop are ok, and there should be points in every games where you get stuck or blocked.

A wall you hit that prevent you to progress any further for a while, something you must overcome. And POE have several layers of mechanics that act like that and it's what keep the game interesting and players coming back.

Yeah running the Most difficults map, at the highest setting for everyone could be nice but, there is one point when everyone will get bored very fast about it.

it's called a layered progression and it's well done.

It's terrible done, and it's good that you're not in charge of a game; you'd drive players away REALLY fast with the idea that brick walls are "interesting" for players, rather than an arbitrary balance tactic that compensates for a lack of decent balance.

An RPG's DEFINING ASPECT is that of "progression:" every single element of the game is centered around it: progressing to complete a quest, progressing to win a fight, progressing to advance the character. If you stop the progression, the game has stopped; it ceases to be a good RPG.

If instead, any progression or change gets blocked off by (pseudo)random chance, then it's not an RPG, it's a gambling game.

You might get bored of genuinely challenging content, and would prefer things be "even" for players of all skills to reach the endgame (i.e, removing player skill as a factor) but that flies against everything RPGs, or really, video games IN GENERAL, are meant to be.

"
Boem wrote:
You can't gate content behind difficulty, because there is no difficulty. PoE is a numbers game and once you reach a certain threshold or abuse certain mechanics you trivialize content.

This isn't QUITE the case for every part of it, nor for "numbers games" in general.

While it's true that being overleveled and over-geared enough can trivialize pretty much any content, this isn't a situation that can readily be seen in the "norm" of gameplay; not many people are going to even CONSIDER grinding lower-level stuff to 90+ and getting a 100ex+ set of gear to tackle something else.

Most of them are going to try and tackle it at a REASONABLE level, and without horrifically-expensive gear. (that almost no one will rock outside of the permanent leagues)

This allows for a reasonable range of character power that can be anticipated. One can NOT deny that this exists: if it didn't, then GGG has absolutely nothing to balance around, but they DEFINITELY have a bunch of scaled expectations to provide balance for each level. (an easy-to-understand example for everyone: Merciless is balanced on the assumption players have 75 of each elemental resistance, but LESS THAN 75% chaos resistance)

Beyond the sheer number-scaling of the issue, there's also what is SUPPOSED to be the major target point of adding difficulty: adding uncertainty, to preempt a strategy based around trivializing specific content. Having a variety of map affixes can mix up the challenge, and require adjustments in gameplay to compensate: REAL, ACTUAL challenge and difficulty that numbers alone can't compensate for.

"
Boem wrote:
Now is the RNG to prevalent? Might be, only GGG has the numbers on that.

Naw, this can be gathered by players bothering to keep track. I should probably just burn up the remainder of my "decent" maps so I have a sample pool large enough to post results from; I've been quite slacking on that in favor of doing challenge league stuff.

So there are DEFINITELY numbers to be had, just that none have been put in circulation yet... And it's no excuse to dismiss an entire argument: "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"
Boem wrote:
being in softcore allows you to brute-force hard content.
That isn't difficulty.

Not QUITE in the case of maps; while people like to think of Softcore as "die all you want for no penalty," it's still double-edged: Maps only get 6 portals, after all. And of course, with the EXP penalty (which later scales up to equate to HOURS' worth of progression) this can set someone back quite a bit, to say NOTHING of the frustration toll.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
@ OP

Thanks for saying this out loud. People should really stop whining about this (non)-issue.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info