Protecting your "PRECIOUS" economy ain't working so give up and fix desync instead

Your unbelieving attitude upon hearing our problems is infuriating.
Why the hell would we ever lie about these things? For what purpose?
The performance issues aren't in town or during fights against a few trash mobs.
Whenever there are lots of particles, the performance just dips. Whenever a mtx demonstration dummy (or Rogue Exile, as some call them) spawns in a strongbox, there's a one second solid freeze.
PoE uses only one CPU core. In an age where most, if not all systems have multiple real cores.
It's like taking a big, American muscle car and disabling 6 pistons from it's engine.
And it's PoE's engine that's just not up to par.
Other games that perform horribly even on high-end systems are: Assassin's Creed: Unity, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto: IV, etc..., which are all poorly optimized.
[Edit: more bloody typos. Typing really isn't working very well today.]
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!
Last edited by Obliviongamer91 on Jan 27, 2015, 2:27:02 PM
"
Your unbelieving attitude upon hearing our problems is infuriating.
Why the hell would we ever lie about these things? For what purpose?
The performance issues aren't in town or during fights against a few trash mobs.
Whenever there are lots of particles, the performance just dips. Whenever a mtx demonstration dummy (or Rogue Exile, as some call them) spawns in a strongbox, there's a one second solid freeze.
PoE uses only one CPU core. In an age where most, if not all systems have multiple real cores.
It's like taking a big, American muscle car and disabling 6 pistons from it's engine.
And it's PoE's engine that's just not up to par.
Other games that perform horribly even on high-end systems are: Assassin's Creed: Unity, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto: IV, etc..., which are all poorly optimized.
[Edit: more bloody typos. Typing really isn't working very well today.]

._. I wanna see a 7 pistoned muscle car.

/troll

Basically this. My computer isn't quite up to snuff, and Nvidea apparetnyl has stopped supporting PoE in it's drivers (had do go back about 6 updates before I found one that didn't tank my framerate by 75% in town) - but when witcher 2 runs better than your game, and your name doesn't have Witcher or Crysis in the title, something is out of whack.

(also, top lol at MTX demonstration dummy. Too true.)
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
Last edited by LostKavi on Jan 27, 2015, 2:55:24 PM
Spoiler
"
Arrowneous wrote:

Here's my computer specs:
1. Intel Core-i5 660 (dual core with HT) OC'ed to 3.8GHz
2. 8 GB of DDR3-1600 ram
3. MSI Hawk Radeon HD6870
4. 1 TB SATA hard drive
5. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
6. Eset Nod32 anti-virus (best AV for low cpu overhead)
7. No other background cpu stealing apps.

I have a 10 Mbit down / 9 Mbit up Internet connection with pings to the US PoE servers in the 40 ms time. I go from my home in Cape Coral, FL to downtown Fort Myers, then out through a 100 Mbit FPL fiber link to Miami, through the nap to Houston, then Dallas, and finally to the PoE server hosting company.

Tracing route to www.pathofexile.com [173.192.44.20]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms tintagel.cyberstreet.com [204.145.237.1]
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 69.80.74.49
3 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms m1049-mts-10ge-1-1-2.fplfn.net [208.67.166.126]
4 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 208.67.167.25
5 3 ms 3 ms 4 ms m1070-nap-10ge-2-0-0.fplfn.net [208.67.166.66]
6 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 198.32.124.221
7 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms ae1.bbr01.sr02.hou02.networklayer.com [173.192.18.162]
8 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms ae3.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com [173.192.18.218]
9 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms ae0.dar02.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.253]
10 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms po2.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com [66.228.118.223]
11 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms 173.192.44.20-static.reverse.softlayer.com [173.192.44.20]

Trace complete.

This is a very good low latency connection to SoftLayer.com so the Internet is not causing the amount of desync I typically experience. It fundamentally comes down to GGG's original decision to keep all calculations on the server to reduce client hacks as much as possible. To that end GGG has succeeded for the most part (Maphack and the unfortunate /hideout logic flaw but notwithstanding) and is probably the best arpg in terms of keeping hackers out. But coding the server/client so the exile/mobs position/movement calculations are done server side (server simulation is the final authority) and allowing the client to do it's own position/movement calculations independent of the server simulation so that we get more fluid movement and less input lag, and then at some point a few seconds from now get informed by the server that here is where the server simulation has us at position X, but on the client we actually are at position Y, that this "action prediction" failure happens all too frequently and thus we are jarred (my analogy is a slap in the face) and then pissed when we see the re-synced next frame and our dead exile.

I have very smooth animations with my 3.8 GHz Intel i5 cpu and the Radeon HD6870 has plenty of gpu muscle to power PoE and I never suffer particle effects slowdowns playing solo so my computer handles PoE very well. But if I want to do a Dominus run I must be very careful to go slow otherwise I am guaranteed to get more than 1 desync a minute (right now my build has +64% movement speed so I can desync several times a minute if I move too fast) and I could easily die if I run up on a mob too fast, then run away fast to evade death, only to find out that the server simulation and it's "action prediction" failed again and killed my exile.

Everything about what you mentioned seems like a fair assessment about the situation. Not that anyone uses them, but have you tried to use a quartz flask to see if the desync has more to do with the mobs position or yours? I have read that people that play melee (and ranged for that matter) and have issues with desync have had a MUCH better experience overall when using such a flask, not saying it should be necessary, simply stating that if I had the issues some people are describing I would try everything in my power to lesson the effects, for example what oblivion describes is happening to him would literally be unplayable in my mind.

As for @obliviongamer91

I guess its the whole scenario where I say it doesn't happen to me how can you have it so bad and the other scenario where you say it happens all the time and I say no way. Kinda because we have different experiences with the game it makes it hard to focus on why it happens to you, but not to me and vise versa.

I'm no programmer, but it does make since that more power should equal more performance, but the optimization you are expressing makes me think that there is no difference if you had a dual core i3 first gen then what you have now.

I want to reiterate the fact that I want GGG to improve, I want them to add some of the QoL things found in a "tool" that players got banned for using. I want some of these nice things as much as you, but what I don't want is for PoE to change its core mechanics in order to make everything on the same level, part of the draw of the game IMO is that you build up your character over time from smashing monsters heads in to blowing up the screen with 100 discharges per min (if thats what you want to do)

Spoiler
(maybe I have little to no desync because of my supporter packs /tinfoilhat )
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Umm folks ? not to be captain obvious here, and I get that discussion helps to ease frustration, but you guys are arguing about technical aspects of the PoE platform with non technical GGG supporters, not even STAFF.

What do the fanboys care about player experience ? GGG is an indie dev, with a throwback tribute to one of the greatest games evar. Some folks are gonna get attached to that and give 0 fucks about anything else.

At the end of the day, GGG's netcode predicts player actions. Predicts combat. GGG wrote magical code that can predict your actions before you know what you are going to do.

Yeah, desync is going nowhere. Why waste your time with network analysis when the issue lies squarely with their code ?
"
Umm folks ? not to be captain obvious here, and I get that discussion helps to ease frustration, but you guys are arguing about technical aspects of the PoE platform with non technical GGG supporters, not even STAFF.

Who says I am not technical, I am not a programmer, but that doesn't mean I am not a technical person.

"
What do the fanboys care about player experience ? GGG is an indie dev, with a throwback tribute to one of the greatest games evar. Some folks are gonna get attached to that and give 0 fucks about anything else.

This might be true for most people, certainly isn't all, if I didn't care about these players I'd simply state my point and move on, instead I am trying to understand how they are having issues all the time and I am not.

"
At the end of the day, GGG's netcode predicts player actions. Predicts combat. GGG wrote magical code that can predict your actions before you know what you are going to do.

You seem to know a lot about the code, did you write any part of it or do an in-depth analysis of it. Please point me in the direction to some of your work so you have a leg to stand on.

"
Yeah, desync is going nowhere. Why waste your time with network analysis when the issue lies squarely with their code ?

Then why do some people have issues constantly, while others like myself don't. Please do enlighten us.

*Edited by support
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by Tom_GGG on Jan 27, 2015, 5:33:25 PM
if you die to desync regularly, you are playing a bad build. Ive seen the builds of some of the people posting in here, they are terrible builds than any experienced player would take one look at and say "thats bad, you are going to die, a lot".

you want to know how to fix desync? go read a decent build guide, follow it, learn how to make a proper character that can take damage without falling over, done. Now instead of dying to desync every day you will die to it once every 6 months, problem over.

Im still suspicious, look at this little gem thrown in.. "+ speed boots (Normic's Storm)".. for real tho? Rly? I feel like no, that cant be for real. I think this is a troll, I think 2 people in this thread are trolls and not real people, they may even be the same guy. So bad its just cartoon, contrived slapstick, theres fundamental laws of physics that would have to be broken for this to be a natural occurrence in our universe.

"

._. I wanna see a 7 pistoned muscle car.

Actually, an i7 has 4 physical cores, and another 4 hyperthreaded ones.
That means PoE uses 1/4 cores (games generally cannot into hyperthreading), so it's equivalent of disabling 6 pistons from a V8 engine, having it run on one fourth of it's pistons.
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!
Last edited by Obliviongamer91 on Jan 27, 2015, 4:00:59 PM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

The point where police exist in real life without causing desync and are completely necessary to prevent MURDER THEFT and RAPE? That's your so called point about security in an INTERNET VIDEOGAME where security was prioritized OVER GAMEPLAY and DID cause desync? Yeah okay pal good point there

I see my little analogy went way over your head. I'll explain it when I'm in the mood.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
if you die to desync regularly, you are playing a bad build. Ive seen the builds of some of the people posting in here, they are terrible builds than any experienced player would take one look at and say "thats bad, you are going to die, a lot".

you want to know how to fix desync? go read a decent build guide, follow it,-

I stopped reading here. I mean - I already knew you were going downhill after the first dozen words, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

In a game designed around customization and 'doing ya own thang', to say "If you want to have a functional player experience, go copy someone else" seems a bit contrary.

Furthermore, if you need to copy a premade build because of technical issues, those issues need to be resolved quite rapidly.

I heard someone make the comparison to starcraft build orders. While thats true, if you want to farm atziri, you need to know builds much like if you want to hit grandmaster starcraft, you need to know builds. You DONT need to know builds in starcraft to just make sure that your barracks doesn't end up producing ghosts when you told it to build marines, or that your scouting oracle doesn't warp back to base because the server didn't think you clicked all the way over to the other side of the map.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
"
goetzjam wrote:

Who says I am not technical, I am not a programmer, but that doesn't mean I am not a technical person.

This might be true for most people, certainly isn't all, if I didn't care about these players I'd simply state my point and move on, instead I am trying to understand how they are having issues all the time and I am not.

You seem to know a lot about the code, did you write any part of it or do an in-depth analysis of it. Please point me in the direction to some of your work so you have a leg to stand on.

If its squarely with the code Mr. Iknowit all then why do some people have issues constantly, while others like myself don't. Please do enlighten us. While your at it maybe get a character to level 60, seems to be impossible for you.

I should have been more clear, not that you are not technical, but that you are not GGG technical staff. What does it matter if you are technical in your own right ? do you have influence on game design ? no.

The second point you made, well read the manifesto. POE is based on action prediction, it does not do it well or with consistency, hence desync. If you'd like to see samples of it at work, google path of exile desync, then sort by videos. No wait, they all have bad connections.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/889669

On my characters ? lol I get bored and die. Don't have the time or patience to surt trade channels and minmax like a bouse. HC or SC not sure what character lvl has to do with bad netcode :) but if we're stalking profiles to make a point, cool....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info