Protecting your "PRECIOUS" economy ain't working so give up and fix desync instead

[The point.]

[Your head.]
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!
"

1) How could we fix or mitigate desync?
Just brainstorm here, no pussyfooting.

There is a dev manifesto thread on desync, you can see brainstorming there and what they are considering doing and what they will definitely not do.

"

3) Where do we get what or whom we need?

There probably aren't a lot of people (experts) to choose from and I would guess not many experts from other countries would want to move to NZ.
couldn't it be done from anywhere with a server? I am just asking cause I don't know crap about how games work, I can barely play them.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

So what IS the point? Because as usual you didn't bother to make one.

Maybe if you had pointed something out specific that was wrong with the original post in question someone could explain to you why you're wrong, but since your post boils down to "lolz, u bad" (a noticeable pattern from you people) it's hard to say anything.

Desync is the penalty that pays for the extra security provided by having things done by the server. In this case, it was proven an ineffective form of security thus making the penalty you all pay in the form of desync completely meaningless. Show something that proves that wrong or gtfo.

I made my point at the bottom of page 1 of this thread.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

"
1. Desync doesn't affect ranged nukers much if at all. Proof you don't know anything about melee. Play a couple hours of melee and get back to me about how great desync is.

Right I don't play characters that require me to be in melee range at all, nope not this guy.

"
3. No, I don't expect anything from 1.3.1 at all, I'm well aware of how GGG does things. What I'm pointing out is that unlike another company who would see something this problematic and immediately hotfix it, GGG is going to ignore it and hope it goes away until act 4 is released. At which point melee still won't be good, but they will probably introduce some bullshit melee unique (likely something that makes you less melee) so everyone can look at that bullshit mechanic and go "WOW! Look how OP melee is!" meanwhile ACTUAL melee builds without that particular item will be just as shit then as they are now. Mark my fucking words that is EXACTLY what will happen. Then the unique will get nerfed and guess what will still be shit? Melee, because everyone will still be unable to tank the damage output of regular map mobs in POE even with 120 points invested into survival.

ROFL, if I am a GGG fanboy you are a fanboy of whatever game you are talking about. Seriously this is the best ARPG on the market today and its even F2P. GGG doesn't typically do anything crazy in the middle of a league in terms of balance, I hope they investingate and brainstorm melee a bit, but honestly IDC anymore play it or don't this isn't another melee QQ thread this is a thread about the economy, desync and servers.

"
4. Wealth in these leagues are you even kidding? Let me ask you a question how many exalts have you had ACTUALLY DROP for you? Now tell me how many exalts you have in your stash. Now answer me this question: how is it that everyone has all those exalts in their stashes and nobody is getting them as drops? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Rofl, do you understand how drops in this game work? I get on average 1 ever other month or so, but that doesn't mean that the other players playing this game aren't getting them. Contrary to your belief a lot of players don't need pure ex to stockpile up and can do transactions with lessor orbs.

"
5. I have played PLENTY of games that I like and none of them "catered" to me. The fact that you are passing this off as an attempt to have GGG cater to me is a fucking joke and you know it. Melee is complete gutter trash right now.

No your build of melee is complete and utter trash right now, get over it try something new, go facebreaker duelist or a tanky groundslam marauder, quite frankly I don't care what you do, but stop crying your build isn't working because melee sucks and ranged is so much better. You choose it, you deal with it or don't play, quite simple.

"
6. Desync has been explained before: Yes it sure has. GGG has opted to pick internet videogame security over internet videogame gameplay. Thus desync. Which is compounded by poor map design and game mechanics like devourers, leapers, elementals, etc that pop up underneath you. Then there's stun, freeze, fast move speed, whirling blades, the list goes on. The culprit for desync is clear and 99% of it it was completely avoidable.

If its unavoidable then why exactly do you have issue with it?

Why must every single thread have your input on how melee sucks? Seriously we really do get it by now. If you don't go crit melee, with 2 daggers as shadow you aren't playing melee.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

Desync is the penalty that pays for the extra security provided by having things done by the server. In this case, it was proven an ineffective form of security thus making the penalty you all pay in the form of desync completely meaningless. Show something that proves that wrong or gtfo.

Thank you. That is the main point I was expressing with this post. At least some one is paying attention... if only it was GGG... oops, my bad. I know someone at GGG is reading our posts (if even to only censor inappropriate forum decorum) but how much is getting passed up the chain of command to the top devs (especially those who came up with the server/client model that is causing desync migraines) is not clear.

While I know GGG has to be careful to protect the client against hackers their server model of "action prediction" is clearly a failure and the server side code that calculates our exile's position and movement plus monster position and movement has to move to the client to reduce desync. If the PoE client is allowing me run PoE at say 50 fps, and patch 1.3 allows us to make builds with super fast move speed (I had +85% increased movement for awhile until I got the Queen of the Forest Destiny Leather armor to drop) such that I can be way across a room by the time the server simulation gestimates what way I'm moving and how far, and then slaps me down hard when the client re-syncs with the server's incorrect guess (prediction failure), and I'm not clear of the mob I thought I had successfully moved away from (WTF, but the client allowed me to quickly move away from the danger. What do you mean I didn't move and now I'm dead?!!!), then the current server/client simulations and their inability to stay synchronized are a failure and need to change. This is an all too common occurrence with these calculations being done in the server simulation (and then informing the client that I really didn't move that way and that far) and failing to correctly "predict" my exile's movement.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jan 27, 2015, 8:45:55 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

Thank you. That is the main point I was expressing with this post. At least some one is paying attention... if only it was GGG... oops, my bad. I know someone at GGG is reading our posts (if even to only censor inappropriate forum decorum) but how much is getting passed up the chain of command to the top devs (especially those who came up with the server/client model that is causing desync migraines) is not clear.

While I know GGG has to be careful to protect the client against hackers their server model of "action prediction" is clearly a failure and the server side code that calculates our exile's position and movement plus monster position and movement has to move to the client to reduce desync. If the PoE client is allowing me run PoE at say 50 fps, and patch 1.3 allows us to make builds with super fast move speed (I had +85% increased movement for awhile until I got the Queen of the Forest Destiny Leather armor to drop) such that I can be way across a room by the time the server simulation gestimates what way I'm moving and how far, and then slaps me down hard when the client re-syncs with the server's incorrect guess (prediction failure), and I'm not clear of the mob I thought I had successfully moved away from (WTF, but the client allowed me to quickly move away from the danger. What do you mean I didn't move and now I'm dead?!!!), then the current server/client simulations and their inability to stay synchronized are a failure and need to change. This is an all too common occurrence with these calculations being done in the server simulation (and then informing the client that I really didn't move that way and that far) and failing to correctly "predict" my exile's movement.

Does anyone else just love it when the OP just cherry picks one paragraph he agrees with and ignores all the other good points being brought up?

I want to know how people have so many issues with desync, you all make it sound like every min you desync and every death you've ever had is desync, that it statistically impossible. We are well aware that desync is the penalty that pays for the security of the game, beating the stick of the dead horse isn't helping either.

Why has no one explained how the economy is crap in the leagues yet? OP please deliver.

FeelsBadMan

Goetzjam, I desync constantly. Even my arcer without any movement skill desyncs like there is no tomorrow.
Not every death I had was desync, but the only one I remember that really was my fault, and not caused by packs of Rhoas / Blackguard Elites totally-not-equivalent-to-oneshots / Magnus Stonethorn / that Lightning Exile (with 77 % lightning res, which should be enough) / Mina Minara Minion Instability nuke, was when I Vaal Ice nova'd a Strongbox with a reflect mob in it.

And now don't say it's my internet speed that's insufficient.
We are going to shut down Beyond immigration into our maps until we find out what the Hell is going on!
"
Goetzjam, I desync constantly. Even my arcer without any movement skill desyncs like there is no tomorrow.
Not every death I had was desync, but the only one I remember that really was my fault, and not caused by packs of Rhoas / Blackguard Elites totally-not-equivalent-to-oneshots / Magnus Stonethorn / that Lightning Exile (with 77 % lightning res, which should be enough) / Mina Minara Minion Instability nuke, was when I Vaal Ice nova'd a Strongbox with a reflect mob in it.

By this point, I am convinced that Goetzjam exists soley to troll through the forums and find threads critisizing the game, and then post "There is no problem. The cake is a lie."

What's the saying about mudwrestling with a pig? You both get dirty, but the pig likes it?
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
"
LostKavi wrote:
"

By this point, I am convinced that Goetzjam exists soley to troll through the forums and find threads critisizing the game, and then post "There is no problem. The cake is a lie."

What's the saying about mudwrestling with a pig? You both get dirty, but the pig likes it?

After looking at that connection and your PC specs (in your signature) I am truly dumbfounded that you have the issues you do with desync constantly. My PC is older in terms of hardware (still a solid machine) and I have a slower connection (not bad though) and the only desync I really see is specifically from skills known to cause the issue. Trying to leap slam across 77 shrine map doorways and alike.

Have you been to the technical forum and run that tool people use to determine the hops to the gateway server? I'd be interested in knowing if something is delaying the packets on the way.

I don't exist soley to "troll" I exist to make counterarguments to certain things I view as a non issue or not as large of an issue was people make it out to be.

Did you just call me a pig @lostkavi?

FeelsBadMan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info