Unique items that could use some love

"
Saltychipmunk wrote:

hence why i said crap, not (its not viable) lotta viable things out there , the problem with that is that viable is a generally missleading word, oros is viable in that i can craft a level 85 build that does decent damage and decent survivability with good gear , but it wont hold a candle to many builds that are several times stronger and cheaper to build around.

But at that point, you are trying to optimize the build. Optimizing from my view is polishing your build to the point that it can practically tackle almost anything in the game with very good clear speed.

Besides, builds that will always stay in the viable spectrum does not hold candles to optimized builds or can never breath the same air with broken builds. I know my Oro Sacrifice build will never be optimized unless they do something drastic with Oro and 2H weapons. As long I can make it viable, and I already accomplished that, I am really happy.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Nov 25, 2014, 1:31:55 AM
the concept i use to judge uniques is:

If i can make a build to work BECAUSE of an unique - it is viable
If i can make it work DESPITE of an unique - it requires a change.

pre 1.2 Curse on Hit was a gem that people created builds around. Sadly, these builds worked best after dropping Curse on Hit. same applies to most items listed in this thread
what do you guys think of this uniuqe? Imho it needs a serious makeover, but please correct me if i am wrong - so far i consider it to be totally useless:

“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
"
Antigegner wrote:
what do you guys think of this uniuqe? Imho it needs a serious makeover, but please correct me if i am wrong - so far i consider it to be totally useless:

didnt want to mention it after Oro's.. but this item has nice stats rarely present on chestpiece (attack and movement speed)

sadly the +2movement gems is a wasted slot and EV rating is barely interesting

it is a brightbeak + leap slam dream tho for MF speed runs. so bit torn on this one. have 3 of these in stash and did not vendor them so..
"
sidtherat wrote:
and did not vendor them so..

And don't do it, it has hidden stat of being one of best looking chests in game, I could really loot few more to what I have already. Ranger, Shadow, Witch, all look bad ass in it.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
"
tmaciak wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
and did not vendor them so..

And don't do it, it has hidden stat of being one of best looking chests in game, I could really loot few more to what I have already. Ranger, Shadow, Witch, all look bad ass in it.

im ashamed to say but ive spent last 20 minutes playing 'dressups for man' and checking 3d models of all armors

have to say - you are right. but you can not go wrong with high quality black leather.

nice picks - Deaths Oath and Foxshade aaaaaand... Thousand Ribbons. This has excelent 3d art, esp for female models (it is a bit.. girly on a marauder but hey, who am i to judge)

one last item that i cannot understand, not never ever used:

Stats are all over the place, yet nothing sticks. Conduit is an end-game feature and even then the keystone is conveniently located. Never ever used this chest while leveling. Flat life + some resists (available even self found) is way more useful in cruel than some fancy stats.

Honorable mention:

In practice - it is ok. Culling is cool etc. But..
Spells == crit. This is THE intended way of scaling spells. What crit-spells do? big hits. What works best with culling strike? Small, rapid hits. Incinerate is best with culling as it means 10% more dmg in practice. But then one can simply equip a weapon with.. 10% more dps output (like crit spell dagger or whatever) and be even if not more. ES bonuses are cool but value is low. This might be the best bonus for EB character.
Last edited by sidtherat on Nov 25, 2014, 12:49:02 PM
Keep the thread about unique items (I know all of you people are unique too but this thread isn't about you!) please. If you want to discuss whether something is shit or not, that's fine but going all personal is just stupid and also devaluing your arguments. Now...

"
Antigegner wrote:

I don't know... okayish evasion with movement speed and attack speed that are really good stats. +2 movement gems seems kinda wasted right now. Should get at least a flat evasion to boosts its evasion rating into acceptable number. Can't think of any build that would actually really benefit from this over some other chest pieces so maybe it belongs to dishonourable mentions. At least nice 3D model like some have stated...

"
sidtherat wrote:

im ashamed to say but ive spent last 20 minutes playing 'dressups for man' and checking 3d models of all armors

have to say - you are right. but you can not go wrong with high quality black leather.

nice picks - Deaths Oath and Foxshade aaaaaand... Thousand Ribbons. This has excelent 3d art, esp for female models (it is a bit.. girly on a marauder but hey, who am i to judge)

one last item that i cannot understand, not never ever used:

Stats are all over the place, yet nothing sticks. Conduit is an end-game feature and even then the keystone is conveniently located. Never ever used this chest while leveling. Flat life + some resists (available even self found) is way more useful in cruel than some fancy stats.

Honorable mention:

In practice - it is ok. Culling is cool etc. But..
Spells == crit. This is THE intended way of scaling spells. What crit-spells do? big hits. What works best with culling strike? Small, rapid hits. Incinerate is best with culling as it means 10% more dmg in practice. But then one can simply equip a weapon with.. 10% more dps output (like crit spell dagger or whatever) and be even if not more. ES bonuses are cool but value is low. This might be the best bonus for EB character.

I'm always keeping an eye for good looking uniques heh...

Ambush Charge is really an outdated unique. It was really useful back in the day when Shavronne's Didn't exist and you wanted to do a lowlife build regardless. "Free" endurance charges (CwDT didn't exist either) and sharing them with party was tasty.

Today, it sucks, sadly so... It recieved an armor/es % buff some time ago but not nearly enough to make it usable. It should get a flat es on it making it a somewhat attractive choice for people playing lowlife without Shavronnes or as a entry level ar/ES chest for CI and ES users (~300 es chests are really good for starting maps). I'm running a lowlife templar with capped Chaos resi without Shavronnes nor Lorica and I would love to use this chest on him if it only had a little more ES on it. My resource is life so the extra 2% life regen would be awesome.

Currently using this

Oh, they also need to make the 3D skin for it already (as well as Voll's Protector and Icetomb). I'm sure it would look sick and could use a nice looking white, plateish armor. :P

Heartbreaker does it's thing. Must have for IIR/IIQ cullers since it provides Culling Strike for spells without sacrificing a link for it. On top of it, some Spell Damage, +ES and mana which ain't bad. I don't think the Culling Strike on it provides the damage increase as the Culling Strike -gem does. It just gives your spells the culling strike ability aka killing them when in less than 10% life.
Added some of the items to original post. We now have a list of 12 unviable uniques and 4 controversial ones. That's ~6% of all uniques in the game currently.

Can anyone think of how Bronn's Lithe could be improved while maintaining its roguelike "move fast, hit fast" -theme? Something like adding life on it would be obvious but kinda boring...
Heartbreaker really has no place. It CAN be used but one can craft better spell dagger with alterations and regal and masters. So its potency is not that great

that culling strike is ofc nice to use if one cannot simply do arc + faster + culling + iir. this is 4link. add chain for 5link. what to use in 6link? there is little need for links for culler

culling strike in long distance (statistically) equals to 10% 'more' damage modifier (well, not exactly 10% but close enough). thats it. it is not something to loose another 50% spellpower, cast speed and spell crit/multi rare wand/dagger offers on that level.

i have it since long ago (bought for like a chaos from trade chat) and used it exactly once - and only because i forced myself. it wasnt worth it.. AT ALL

this is one of the 'paper' uniques that sound nice, look nice and are in general tempting. but in practice every rare dwarfs them and the 'unique bonuses' are gimmicks not worth talking about

like Darkscorn.
Last edited by sidtherat on Nov 25, 2014, 2:27:51 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
Heartbreaker really has no place. It CAN be used but one can craft better spell dagger with alterations and regal and masters. So its potency is not that great

that culling strike is ofc nice to use if one cannot simply do arc + faster + culling + iir. this is 4link. add chain for 5link. what to use in 6link? there is little need for links for culler

culling strike in long distance (statistically) equals to 10% 'more' damage modifier (well, not exactly 10% but close enough). thats it. it is not something to loose another 50% spellpower, cast speed and spell crit/multi rare wand/dagger offers on that level.

i have it since long ago (bought for like a chaos from trade chat) and used it exactly once - and only because i forced myself. it wasnt worth it.. AT ALL

this is one of the 'paper' uniques that sound nice, look nice and are in general tempting. but in practice every rare dwarfs them and the 'unique bonuses' are gimmicks not worth talking about

like Darkscorn.

Heartbreaker is absolutely fine. It's not bis but very usable and definitely has its own place. Also, little need for links? What about Spell Echo and Empower? Lightning Penetration? Sometimes even Life Leech? I'm sure there are more gems I'm forgetting.

There are definitely better daggers/wands for culler but Heartbreaker is absolutely fine for its price and level req. You are comparing it to a really, really expensive wand/dagger, why is that? It costs like 2ex on HC ladders, I'm sure even less in Standard.
Last edited by MIIKKAAA on Nov 25, 2014, 3:12:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info