Unique items that could use some love

"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Grughal wrote:
Oh, some good talk around Cherrubim. Yeah, I have the feeling that it also lacks something. That leech rate increase or added chaos % damage doesn't really differ it from a rare chest. But is it really as useless as some people claim here? Personally I didn't get to try it yet.

Maybe it could have chaos damage leech to be instant to really promote stacking chaos damage while keeping this chaos/leech -theme going.

EDIT : And I'd still love to hear about someone who has been using Mon'tregul's Grasp after snapshot fix. Can it be made to work?

+1 zombie from catharina -> 5 big zombies

so it has some potential but it isnt op as it was with snapshot

Yeah, if zombies can be made powerful enough, they'd be much better option than spectres. I need to give it a go on Bloodline I guess.. :P
If I could change one thing about Mon'tregul's Grasp, it would be to change one number on one line:
- From "50% reduced number of zombies allowed"
- To "44% reduced number of zombies allowed"

The difference would be:
Up to 10 zombies: [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]
With 1-50% MG...: [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5]
With 1-44% MG...: [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5]
With 2-50% MG...: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
With 2-44% MG...: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1]

This would allow for 1 more zombie if you have a max of 9, even if you dual wield them. It allows summoners with 9 or more zombies and dual-wield MG to summon the One Zombie To Rule Them All.

The numbers themselves could stand to be buffed a bit as well, but that's a less thematic change.

EDIT: Forgot about Cat's affix. Redid the table with 10max instead of 9max.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 1, 2014, 4:43:34 PM
I experimented with a zombie summoner in Rampage a bit. The survivability side of Montre is a nobrainer. What surprised me was the last mod (enemies killed [...]): I switched out melee splash for more single target DPS and the explosions took care of groups. It worked very well in single player but scales terrible in groups, because zombies no longer get the killing blows on most enemies.

Overall I think the item is fine as it is, but I love pneuma's suggestion. A mega zombie with huge DPS and HP with killing blows would be awesome.
Last edited by Sa_Re on Dec 1, 2014, 5:16:02 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Grughal wrote:
Oh, some good talk around Cherrubim. Yeah, I have the feeling that it also lacks something. That leech rate increase or added chaos % damage doesn't really differ it from a rare chest. But is it really as useless as some people claim here? Personally I didn't get to try it yet.

Maybe it could have chaos damage leech to be instant to really promote stacking chaos damage while keeping this chaos/leech -theme going.

EDIT : And I'd still love to hear about someone who has been using Mon'tregul's Grasp after snapshot fix. Can it be made to work?

+1 zombie from catharina -> 5 big zombies

so it has some potential but it isnt op as it was with snapshot

i gave him feedback , he ignored it for some reason. Montreguls is only useful if you dont have 9k hp zombies and need to tank something really really big.

other than that it is a rather large net loss of potential dps. It is the kind of item that is at its absolute best when you take no minion passives and omit the minion damage gem. But the more passives you take the more potential damage you lose by taking this item since its damage modifier will not come close to covering the 50% reduction in zombies and it is of no benefit to the other minions.

this is not even considering the possibility of the player using midnight , in which case you lose even more potential dps.

it you could get 6 montre zombies you might have a better trade off , but you will still be behind in clear speed and damage

but again if what you are looking for is an item that will allow your zombies to take some of the harder hitting bosses in the game then it will do that.

however if anything it is the very last defensive option you use because frankly if you don't have the other defense in order you could have 20k hp zombies ... and they will still die a pitiful death

you can easily do death or taxes with 6k hp zombies and most maps up to 75 with the same results.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Dec 2, 2014, 5:30:23 PM
Oh, you mean this?

"
Saltychipmunk wrote:

Montreguls has but one use and that is if your zombies have trouble surviving atziri blasts. But it is a massive loss of DPs. 40% less in some cases. Its a massive trade off... Always was.

If you have 9k zombies through empower then montreguls has no purpose. It won't save your zombies from the chaos aura that the 3x atziri bosses poo out and a zombie only item is a limited item in an ocean of limited items. Hell I have two midnights and two Montreal and I use a lifesprig as it is supirior .

Sure, but that was like covering Atziri only and even then it might be a biased opinion. I apreciated your thoughts on it but I used a word "still" and I would still use it - I still want to hear about people who have been using it. This is because I don't think you or me should decide whether something is crap or not. So I just wanted to hear more.

I didn't want to sound like I didn't care or read your post, sorry if I made it sound like that.

"
pneuma wrote:
If I could change one thing about Mon'tregul's Grasp, it would be to change one number on one line:
- From "50% reduced number of zombies allowed"
- To "44% reduced number of zombies allowed"

The difference would be:
Up to 10 zombies: [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]
With 1-50% MG...: [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5]
With 1-44% MG...: [1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5]
With 2-50% MG...: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
With 2-44% MG...: [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1]

This would allow for 1 more zombie if you have a max of 9, even if you dual wield them. It allows summoners with 9 or more zombies and dual-wield MG to summon the One Zombie To Rule Them All.

The numbers themselves could stand to be buffed a bit as well, but that's a less thematic change.

EDIT: Forgot about Cat's affix. Redid the table with 10max instead of 9max.

Absolutely fantastic idea! It might not be the best way to use zombies but hey, couldn't hurt and the "1 zombie to rule them all" would be hilarious.
then you missed the point , the point was that I found (while using montreguls) it was only useful for tackling bosses that had spike damage that was larger than what normal 7k zombies could handle.

and yes that pretty much is exclusively atziri.

otherwise you are gimping yourself.

side to side , 11 zombies 4 specters did the best , 10 zombies 3 specters did ok and the 5 montre 3 specter did the weakest but better solo.

that is what i found , no assumptions just experience.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Dec 3, 2014, 10:06:54 AM

This is not as "not viable" that some may says.

It was used by some Dual Shockwave totems builds to lock bosses in place on "life/strenght build dual totems" (before crit version became more popular in 1.2.0).
One hand was doon cubyiari and jaws was the second hand.

Esajoram's Dual Shockwave totems guid:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/985497/page/1
Help me complete my unique collection: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/335591

IGN: CGT_FR
Last edited by Borow on Dec 3, 2014, 11:36:35 AM
"
Borow wrote:

This is not as "not viable" that some may says.

It was used by some Dual Shockwave totems builds to lock bosses in place on "life/strenght build dual totems" (before crit version became more popular in 1.2.0).
One hand was doon cubyiari and jaws was the second hand.

Esajoram's Dual Shockwave totems guid:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/985497/page/1

Fair enough, a few people have already shown me a build that makes some kind of use of it, even if it fails to do what it was supposed to do properly (give power charges for crit trappers). Even in that build a good rare shield is way better but that's how uniques are supposed to be.
Agreed with pretty much everything in the OP. There's so many great uniques that bleed flavour and have great ideas, but simply poor or outdated execution.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Agreed with pretty much everything in the OP. There's so many great uniques that bleed flavour and have great ideas, but simply poor or outdated execution.

And most of them wouldn't even require that many hours of actual work to get significantly improved. Of course, I might be totally wrong here but I don't think minor adjustments to values would require lots of internal testing.

(And if they do, I'll happily volunteer. Hit me up, GGG! lol)
Last edited by Grughal on Dec 7, 2014, 5:07:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info