Unique items that could use some love

"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
So how about I use this sword...

...scale it naturally with physical DpS/attack speed Sword nodes, use Infernal Blow and Avatar of Fire?

Bolded the important part.

Oro's Sacrifice has horrible scaling.
You gotta pick weird nodes, skip super-sexy notables (because they don't help), skip super damage multiplier gems, ignore natural scaling of gems (almost all of them scale of physical DpS), and so you end up with more than sub-par damage output.

...on a pretty rare highlevel DpS unique.

That thing is not "build-enabling", it is "cripple a build until only Oro's may do some damage".

I already said this a while back, a sword like you linked WILL out DPS Oro, that is a given. The point is, comparing weapon has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. It is whether or not, the unique item is viable or not. Also, I prefer Molten Strike over Infernal Blow. Molten Strike save me from using Melee Splash.

I will say this, my definition of what is viable is different from yours.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Nov 22, 2014, 4:55:37 PM
"
Grughal wrote:

"
sidtherat wrote:
Oro's main problem is the mana/life sustain. Weapon without physical component cannot use leech from the tree/items. The only way to leech life is to use one of: life leech gem or Atziri's belt. link eats one slot, belt gives 1% leech only. for a melee 1% life leech is.. suicide. with mana it is even worse.

so people are forced for BM + life leech, thus cutting HEAVILY into damage that is already poor to begin with.

and before any other changes are made - these drawbacks MUST go! 20% more damage taken would make Shavs look A LOT less tempting. and they gave it to this piece of rusted junk?..

Spec into mana regen, run AA alongside with it. But I agree that it being elemental-only is a downside to begin with. Another one would be that it is 2H. So the added downsides are just too much and this is what we have all agreed with.

It needs some rework, that's for sure.

AA? so this means Eldritch Battery? You know that it.. starts to be insane? (ive tried several times to run low-lvl AA on a non-EB char and it is crazy for non-INT chars as there simply is no mana base to scale it up. i have a ranger with 500mana, she can spam attacks but she can only run lvl 1 AA without going OOM).

so it turns out it requires yet more nodes to even start working..

it IS unviable, it is simply a sad item. Dyadus is in the same drawer but at least it never was pretending to be top dog. Oro's definitely tried (the drawbacks more than suggest that)
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

I already said this a while back, a sword like you linked WILL out DPS Oro, that is a given. The point is, comparing weapon has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. It is whether or not, the unique item is viable or not. Also, I prefer Molten Strike over Infernal Blow. Molten Strike save me from using Melee Splash.

I will say this, my definition of what is viable is different from yours.

"
sidtherat wrote:
AA? so this means Eldritch Battery? You know that it.. starts to be insane? (ive tried several times to run low-lvl AA on a non-EB char and it is crazy for non-INT chars as there simply is no mana base to scale it up. i have a ranger with 500mana, she can spam attacks but she can only run lvl 1 AA without going OOM).

so it turns out it requires yet more nodes to even start working..

it IS unviable, it is simply a sad item. Dyadus is in the same drawer but at least it never was pretending to be top dog. Oro's definitely tried (the drawbacks more than suggest that)

Everyone here has agreed that Oro's is bad (I think even JohnNamikaze agrees on this :P) but is it unviable? Not sure. Doesn't it meet the criterias of "What does viable mean?" I listed on the original post? It has some identity but does it completely fail to fulfill its role?

I might add it into the OP since it has spawned so much hate and pity in the thread.
Last edited by Grughal on Nov 22, 2014, 5:07:36 PM

Probably in the top 3 of the worst uniques in the game. I just can't see any build which can use this.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"

Probably in the top 3 of the worst uniques in the game. I just can't see any build which can use this.

Culling on crit is deceiving, it looks good, but really with huge crit multipliers your melting even bosses in seconds, so in essence it's a useless bonus

This item can be fixed by scaling back the crit multiplier and removing the "less" modifier, in exchange for a higher "reduced" value
"
Grughal wrote:
What does viable mean?" I consider item to be viable if it fulfills the role it is/was inteded to do/be. It doesn't have to be endgame viable nor have something truly unique affixes or something that makes it powerful.

Role: ???

By your definition, Essentia Sanguis is perfectly viable as leveling gear for a max-block dual-wield build. With +20% to block chance, it's easy to get max block before taking on Merc Piety and Dominus. Problem is, you can't equip them till level-64, and their damage is too low to take you very far into maps. Reduce the level requirement to around 50 and they'd be fine.

"
sidtherat wrote:

This item is just sad. Such a nice idea powercreeped to death..

That's what I upgraded my Essentia Sanguis to. However, I didn't use a pair of Dyadus, I used this mace in my off-hand:

The point of this dual-wield combo is to reap Dyadus' +25% Chance to Ignite and 40% Increased Burn Damage mods, but avoid getting gimped by its mediocre physical damage and attack speed. Doryani's fills in those gaps and also adds 90% Increased Elemental Damage and 1% Elemental Life Leech.

The net result is 12.5K Dual Strike tooltip DPS at 7 APS. Molten Strike also does 5K tooltip DPS (not counting the projectiles and burn damage), and has a decent balance of fire damage between the two weapons: 1350-1800 Dyadus and 1300-2300 Doryani's. This is plenty of damage for soloing mid-level maps.

That said, Dyadus could really use a hefty dose of physical damage.
Last edited by RogueMage on Nov 23, 2014, 8:04:33 PM
"
RogueMage wrote:

By your definition, Essentia Sanguis is perfectly viable as leveling gear for a max-block dual-wield build. With +20% to block chance, it's easy to get max block before taking on Merc Piety and Dominus. Problem is, you can't equip them till level-64, and their damage is too low to take you very far into maps. Reduce the level requirement to around 50 and they'd be fine.

Not sure I understand. So you're saying it could be viable but it is not? Also, it's rocking only 10% block chance when dualwielding, and if you're saying 20% would be plain op just look at Ungil's Gauche.

I disagree with the "reduce to level 50 and they're fine" as well. It is a supporter unique and it was designed as an endgame unique to provide CI melee a way to leech ES. When the item was designed by the supporter, Ghost Reaver did NOT exist so they would have provided a very nice utility for CI / ES-using melees. However the day Essentia Sanguis got released, Ghost Reaver was added to passive tree as well making the it next to useless since day 1.

They should buff it to provide an acceptable amount of physical damage for an endgame claw or a lot more utility into it to make an interesting off-hand choice for CI melee.

"
RogueMage wrote:

That's what I upgraded my Essentia Sanguis to. However, I didn't use a pair of Dyadus, I used this mace in my off-hand:

The point of this dual-wield combo is to reap Dyadus' +25% Chance to Ignite and 40% Increased Burn Damage mods, but avoid getting gimped by its mediocre physical damage and attack speed. Doryani's fills in those gaps and also adds 90% Increased Elemental Damage and 1% Elemental Life Leech.

The net result is 12.5K Dual Strike tooltip DPS at 7 APS. Molten Strike also does 5K tooltip DPS (not counting the projectiles and burn damage), and has a decent balance of fire damage between the two weapons: 1350-1800 Dyadus and 1300-2300 Doryani's. This is plenty of damage for soloing mid-level maps.

That said, Dyadus could really use a hefty dose of physical damage.

You quoted someone else than me but put it as if I said it?

I don't consider Dyadus unviable but it's not as powerful as it should be either. Bear in mind that in your examples, you're coupling it with a level 75 Atziri unique and even then it's still pretty meh.

I agree that the strength lies within the +25% chance to Ignite and the original idea of Dyadus was to open up Ignite attack builds (as stated by dllr in this video). I guess these builds still work, I tried it and did a dual Dyadus elemental prolif cleave with the old tree (when Static Blows was more accessible for Templars) with the idea to prolif shock, ignite and chill everywhere and it WORKED but it was still pretty meh.

First thing that comes to my mind is significantly boost the "enemies chilled by you take 40% increased burning damage" as 40% is nothing (you get 45% even from Holy Fire only). But again, Dyadus is viable by my standards even if it's "bad".
Last edited by Grughal on Nov 23, 2014, 7:11:32 PM
"

A weird bird. Rumor has it that there was supposed to be a unique weapon coming out soon after this which would guarantee critical hit(s). But it got lost in the balance dimension.
Foxshade...
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
TreeOfDead wrote:
Foxshade...

Definately no. Movement speed, decent evasion (even more on full life) and flat physical make it a really good leveling chest piece up to early merciless for facebreakers as well as physical rangers. Cherry on top is its sexy looks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info