Why Self Found is Fine: 7 Days of Progress

Is snarky comments all you got?
"
Septile wrote:

Yeah, and? There is plenty of content and plenty of builds that are not gated behind RNG. If someone plays the slots and seriously gets mad that they didn't win the jackpot, then they're idiots. And everybody knows it.

Nice strawman.

"
Septile wrote:

So unless you 100% a game, it doesn't feel like you're playing a complete game? So if I had 80% completion on Batman:Arkham City, I should actually feel like I didn't play the complete game, even if I was already satisfied with the content I had played through?

No one cares if you were satisfied same as you don't care that someone else wasn't. Stop taking things personally, this isn't about you.

"
Septile wrote:

lol ok. My build is not doing fine with easily achievable gear, I am not finding any good drops, I do not know how to video game.

Same as above, this isn't about you or your build. No shit builds that aren't dependent on gear are gonna be viable self-found, you gotta be a real genius to figure that one out. And yet with all your genius you manage to miss the point.!!WARNING!! THIS IS THE POINT: ALOT OF CONTENT IS GATED BEHIND TRADING THUS YOU CAN'T EXPERIENCE A LARGE PART OF POE WHILE PLAYING SELF-FOUND. Point ends. Let me know if you want me to draw you a picture in case you still haven't understood.
ign: ecogen
Last edited by ecogen on Aug 28, 2014, 11:27:29 PM
"
ecogen wrote:
Nice strawman.

Not a strawman at all. You can still play the slots and get the core experience of playing the slots without getting a jackpot. You can still play PoE and get the core experience of PoE without getting a soul taker.

"
ecogen wrote:
ALOT OF CONTENT IS GATED BEHIND TRADING THUS YOU CAN'T EXPERIENCE A LARGE PART OF POE WHILE PLAYING SELF-FOUND. Point ends. Let me know if you want me to draw you a picture if you still don't get it.

Nothing is gated behind trading. It's more difficult to do without trading, obviously. But if you're that interested in the content "gated" behind trading, then you can simply.. trade. Otherwise, you can just play the game, and eventually you'll get there. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Everything in the game is available by simply playing it. If you don't want to put in the time, then fortunately for you there is this thing called trading. If you don't want to put in the time or trade then unfortunately for you, you have impractical desires.

Last edited by Septile on Aug 28, 2014, 11:35:53 PM
"
Septile wrote:

"
ecogen wrote:
ALOT OF CONTENT IS GATED BEHIND TRADING THUS YOU CAN'T EXPERIENCE A LARGE PART OF POE WHILE PLAYING SELF-FOUND. Point ends. Let me know if you want me to draw you a picture if you still don't get it.

Nothing is gated behind trading. It's more difficult to do without trading, obviously. But if you're that interested in the content "gated" behind trading, then you can simply.. trade. Otherwise, you can just play the game, and eventually you'll get there. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Everything in the game is available by simply playing it. If you don't want to put in the time, then fortunately for you there is this thing called trading. If you don't want to put in the time or trade then unfortunately for you, you have impractical desires.

Calculate the time it would take to craft 1 GG item for any slot without trading. Not full inventory mind you just 1, then talk to me about "time investment". I'd rather not die of old age in the process if possible.
The "You will eventually get there" is pure bullshit, sorry to burst your bubble. Oh and if you respond "crafting GG items was meant to be done by trading" just proves my point.
Last edited by ecogen on Aug 28, 2014, 11:40:43 PM
"
ecogen wrote:
Calculate the time it would take to craft 1 GG item for any slot without trading. Not full inventory mind you just 1, then talk to me about "time investment". I'd rather not die of old age in the process if possible.
The "You will eventually get there" is pure bullshit, sorry to burst your bubble. Oh and if you respond "crafting GG items was meant to be done by trading" just proves my point.

Based on the criterion outlined, alchemy and chaos orbs are allowed, lets assume a GG item is 60+ level required. It's the time it took you to acquire a level 60 item and alch/chaos it-∞.

ez.
"
Septile wrote:
"
ecogen wrote:

Based on the criterion outlined, alchemy and chaos orbs are allowed, lets assume a GG item is 60+ level required. It's the time it took you to acquire a level 60 item and alch/chaos it-∞.

ez.

Your pathetic attempts at avoiding to answer are exactly that, pathetic. I would like to believe you're a big boy, just admit you were wrong. No one's gonna laugh at you, it's ok.
"
Septile wrote:
Nothing is gated behind trading.

There is lots of stuff that in practice is gated behind trading. If you want to know why so many want a self found league then that's the first thing you need to understand. Ignoring this and stating that self found is fine for everyone because it is fine for you is just so silly.

Ridiculous replies like "If someone plays the slots and seriously gets mad that they didn't win the jackpot, then they're idiots" and "So unless you 100% a game, it doesn't feel like you're playing a complete game?" just shows that you are missing the point.

The fact of the matter is that, for me and many others, it does not feel like playing the complete game unless you get access to it via trading. That does not mean that we didn't enjoy playing the game or that we are mad that you didn't win the jackpot or that we need to 100% the game.
Last edited by Sickness on Aug 29, 2014, 3:56:42 AM
Thank you OP. Thank you for showing what I consider healthy attitude to self found.

First the way I see self found (plus solo I guess). Its a challenge run with additional difficulty setting. Right now one can play it self imposed. If GGG ever makes specific league for this then it will be enforced challenge (like season leagues, races and hardcore).

With that in mind I see two extreme ways of looking at self found. most peoples view fall somewhere in between.

First is Internal: I see the toon im building and gearing him from what I find with only having planed direction from quest rewards and reasonable expectations (Im reasonably gona get 4L. Anything above is Lady Luck smiling on me). This ideology fully understands that it is working with difficulty mods and is having self set goals to achieve.

Second is External: I compare my toon to everyones elses toons and plan him like I would non self found character. Also the goals are set not from personal expectations but rather from what is generaly considered end game at the time. The difficulty of self found is not seen as such but rather others who do not have such limitations are seen as "cheaters".

Also about mentioned Problems of self found:

Uniques availability is not a problem for self found. The idea is I play with what you get. expecting to get something specific (well there are specific things one can get, for example im certain I will have Rare Leather Belt in act 2 Normal) is unreasonable. Simple as that.

The end game challenge: You are running challenge and expect to have the same results as those running without? Plus self found increases impact of RNG (and will always will by design) theoreticaly god rng can make self founder faster there than non self founder who wastes time on trading :P.

And maping: The way it is worded is comepletely wrong. With 1.2.0 they have added 3 boosts to maping: strongboxes, Zana and Master quests in general (most give you additional mobs on map to kill and get map drops). Even before that I And all the people I game with had no problem to maintain map pool. It was stagnating on mid to low levels, but never going as low as to force you to go merciless farming.
"
pofruin wrote:

Also about mentioned Problems of self found:

Uniques availability is not a problem for self found. The idea is I play with what you get. expecting to get something specific (well there are specific things one can get, for example im certain I will have Rare Leather Belt in act 2 Normal) is unreasonable. Simple as that.
Indeed. And playing with what you get now instead of the fun and interesting build defining uniques limits the game. That's why uniques availability is a problem for self found.

"
pofruin wrote:

The end game challenge: You are running challenge and expect to have the same results as those running without? Plus self found increases impact of RNG (and will always will by design) theoreticaly god rng can make self founder faster there than non self founder who wastes time on trading :P.

Who is saying that the game is too hard?
Also, the point of a self found league is to make playing self found not a challenge, but to make it the difficlty that GGG intended the game to have.

"
pofruin wrote:

And maping: The way it is worded is comepletely wrong. With 1.2.0 they have added 3 boosts to maping: strongboxes, Zana and Master quests in general (most give you additional mobs on map to kill and get map drops). Even before that I And all the people I game with had no problem to maintain map pool. It was stagnating on mid to low levels, but never going as low as to force you to go merciless farming.

Low level maps are still trivial content if you can do high level maps.
"
ecogen wrote:

Ecogen, you're missing the point. Playing SF means you are very unlikely to find or craft a GG item. Its not necessary. You don't need any kind of GG item.

You seem to think this game is only enjoyable/playable/completable by having GG items. You're wrong.
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info