Why Self Found is Fine: 7 Days of Progress

"
RockGod wrote:
1. Are you proving that drops are in fact good, or that you are able to succeed in spite of poor drops?

Both. Drops are good if you're playing decently(aka able to do piety runs without lunaris 2 resetting), although not necessarily for the build you're currently playing. And anybody can succeed with poor drops with a build that takes economy into account. Drops that are not for your build can be traded for items that do fit your build, allowing choices on what to do with what drops.

"
RockGod wrote:
2. You are hardly a typical player. 50 hours of playing time in a week is over 7 hours a day on average, that puts you in an elite category of player. You fully understand the game mechanics and how to deal with the various situations that come up, how to deal with Bosses. When you understand the dance then having better equipment just makes the dance a little shorter.

Yeah, I played way more than I usually do on a daily basis. I've been having a lot of fun, and with the hammer dropped, I don't think I'll be slowing down.

"
RockGod wrote:
3. You understand your build very well and wisely chose a build that is not equipment heavy and I am guessing you could probably have done very well wearing no equipment at all.

True, I easily could have survived with decently rolled blues if I had the patience to set them up. Good rares are a luxury in my mind.

"
RockGod wrote:
Solo self found BEGINNER players are going to get blocked by the act end bosses, and if Merv doesn't get them, Vaal or Dom will.

Beginners in PoE face an immense amount of difficulty, no doubt. The act bosses I believe to be the least of their problems. Even today I'm learning how to make more efficient builds, including builds I've done 3+ times. I think there are a lot of things that can be done to improve the introductory period for PoE, but self found is not involved with any of them. Perseverance is the most valuable trait an exile can have, and lacking that, they probably wouldn't end up liking the game anyway.

"
TiltedAxis wrote:
But your entire point is nullified by hardcore players, as you died many times.

Yeah, I wasn't playing like I was in a hardcore league and I died. I'm shit.
My Level 50 Freezing pulse Witch wearing the best gear i have found so far has a Freezing Pulse dps of 1468.

If I take off ALL OF MY GEAR and replace it with generic whites to hold the gems I have a DPS of 1143.

So what I have learned is that Casters are not gear dependent, that the best gear i have found (so far) improves my DPS by 28.43%

So my findings are a little different than yours, while your findings suggest drops are awesome, mine suggest that one should play a Caster at the start of a new league because they don't require any stuff.

Repeat your experiment with a Melee guy and see how that goes for you.
Last edited by RockGod on Aug 27, 2014, 6:38:25 PM
Not saying you're shit because you died, and not trying to sound elitist, but for someone like me hardcore is the only thing that I find appealing, and if you can't self-found properly without dying than its not viable -- which I believe was the whole point of your post?
Last edited by TiltedAxis on Aug 27, 2014, 7:02:08 PM
So your one, solitary experience demonstrates that self found is perfectly viable because it worked okay for you?

To me, and anyone with half a brain, your "data" is very similar to this:

"I petted a Shark one time and it did not bit me"

Conclusion: Sharks Dont bite people.

Its safe to go back in the water everyone!!

*eye-roll*

Get real. Learn 2 smarter.

Well yeah, you should play a caster at the beginning of the league if you want to progress faster than a melee build with no gear. That is a given.
If you don't mind having to do an extra bit of farming to get overleveled/weapon upgrade, then you can definitely play many melee builds with little wealth. Glacial hammer builds, the classic ground slam marauder, spectral throw is an obvious one, these are just the ones that I've run at the beginning of leagues at the top of my head with basically equivalent success, except maybe instead of 50 hours of playtime it'd be 60.

"
TiltedAxis wrote:
Not saying you're shit because you died, and not trying to sound elitist, but for someone like me hardcore is the only thing that I find appealing, and if you can't self-found properly without dying than its not viable -- which I believe was the whole point of your post?

Oh, you were serious.
My deaths happened because I was playing badly, not because my gear was bad. If I was in a hardcore league, I wouldn't have died in the situations I died in because I wouldn't have been getting loose with my play.
And as I mentioned before, I played self found hardcore for awhile, up until invasion league. I actually played more melee in hardcore than in softcore oddly enough. I imagine hardcore is even easier to progress in now that strongboxes are part of the base game.

"
bobby3127 wrote:
blahblahblah

You didn't even read the tl;dr.
Truly impressive.
Last edited by Septile on Aug 27, 2014, 7:13:06 PM
so then your point is:

Play a caster at the start of a new league as they don't need gear and drops are fine by the way?

-or-

Drops are fine by the way cause i made it to maps in a week?

-or- drops are fine by the way?

I'm confused.

my point was all the gear i had only improved my dps by 28% so gear wasn't doing much, drops could be ok, or bad, can't really tell.
Worst show off your gear thread ever.

Would of saved you a lot of typing complete rubbish if you'd of just posted the gear you found in the item showcase forum.

You really think self-found is fine because you happened to get some really nice RNG? Massive sample size there to demonstrate how fine self-found is. One guy. Haha.

P.S I don't know whether it's fine or not because i'm smart enough to know it's impossible to tell either way without data to analyse, data you don't have.
Last edited by pengant on Aug 27, 2014, 8:09:04 PM
I am not really sure why you are all trashing OP for showing you his self found progress. He farmed he got the drops, most of the stuff he has equipped is just serviceable enough.
What proof do you need shown to believe that self-found is doable ? Maybe if you get your uber end game items drop from the sky then you'll believe it. The point of what he is showing is that you can make a decent build ,self found, that doesn't need (insert super rare unique here),6l or mirrored rares to work and do good. As he said if you aim for 6l/super rare unique build from scratch you are destined to fail.
Last edited by Scorched on Aug 27, 2014, 9:01:06 PM
While I know there are those who do grumble about self found in the way you denounced in your OP, I personally have always said self found was fine until mapping. Rough, yes, but isn't it supposed to be?. Solo self found anyway (the waters are more than muddied if anything else).

You haven't gotten to this stage, where self found really becomes damned well fucked (although there have been many improvements).

I can spend 50+ /played hours in 72-74 (mostly 73) maps on a lvl 99 before I see a lucky seed streak that propels me to 77-78s for a brief time. The only other content I'll see in that time being either lower maps or Lunaris on an alt to stock up on currencies to feed the lvl 99.

There's times I'm even completely out of 72+ maps and I'm running 71-72s on an alt hoping for a 73-74 for the lvl 99 to run.

Map seed 'RNG' is insane, lol. I've seen me accumulate 500 maps from 73-78 in 3 days from running unchiselled blues. And I've seen the whole lot vanish in less than 2 weeks no matter what I threw at them.

It would appear at times that putting currency into maps is pointless and it's all down to seed, when blue and even white maps rain map drops and 160%+ quantity maps blank. But it's the currency input that might just be the extra a map pool needs to not implode. Of course the amount of currency I'm talking about here is still a pittance compared to what a hardcore trader can and will put into an ever increasing map pool.

Maps at the mid to high level, will never produce close to the currency required to sustain, not without grouping and/or trading. That's where farming low content comes in and that's what's always pissed me off.

That said, gone are the days of farming Lunaris for 50 hours per 1 hour of attempted high map progression, times are glorious compared to then. But we are not quite there, yet.

When a solo self found player can bounce between 74 and 78 maps from the currency they drop, I think we will be there. Note, I'd happily spend my time 30% in 74s, 25% in 75s, 20% in 76s, 15% in 77s and 10% in 78s. I don't expect to chain 77/78s as self found.

Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Aug 27, 2014, 9:50:18 PM
IMO Forsaken Masters fixed self-found. I'm planning on starting a new self-found character soon, now that you can actually craft your own decent gear without needing hundred exalts of wealth.

Self-found is still not fixed in the sense that you will never ever ever ever ever ever ever acquire tier 1 gear (6L shavs / BiS rares) without the RNG equivalent of winning the lottery.

But you can put together solid map-capable builds self-found without needing to spend hundreds of hours farming ledge/docks now. Which is cool.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Aug 27, 2014, 10:11:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info