GPU heavy overheating?

The same behavior can be observed when a triple fault occurs. If possible, upload the crash dump automatically generated by Windows and provide a link to it.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Well, if you have enough FPS you can try to downclock your GPU for temperature reduction (some older description: http://www.playtool.com/pages/underclockvid/slowdown.html).
Used it succesfully with Legend of Grimrock which had similar over heating problems (especially with AMD/ATI cards) before the developers introduced a configureable frame rate limiter.

The ATI Tray tools allowed more ore less arbitrary down- and overclocking of my AMD/ATI graphic cards (so be careful) http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

PS: also, there are integrated frame rate limiters in some drivers e.g. for nvidia. Also there are several externla tools for frame rate limiting (google for it) e.g. FPS limiter 0.2 (but haven't tested them)
Last edited by shaddim on Feb 1, 2013, 8:10:15 AM
I found a workaround for a frame limiter: Using Nvidia Inspector you can set a custom frame limit for every game, seems to work for PoE, now lets see if this crashes again soon.
Not a single crash after limiting the fps to 60 and GPU is not getting hotter than 80°.
yeah I have a evga 660 ti 3gb sc and it runs at 100% boost clock running poe but my temp never goes over low 70s
"
Metalhead wrote:
I found a workaround for a frame limiter: Using Nvidia Inspector you can set a custom frame limit for every game, seems to work for PoE, now lets see if this crashes again soon.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was actually able to play for longer than 10 minutes tonight. So thank you!
"
Metalhead wrote:
"
Luve wrote:
"
evilcaster wrote:
you can cap the fps in the options menu....with vsync...

i dont know if vsync does the trick for others but for 120hz users thats no solution.
even if it was doing anything (which again it doesnt) than it would still be nothing
than a clunky workaround with all the issues that vsync brings (mouse input lag etc)

an ingame option to cap fps would in theory be better. it puzzles me however
that non AMD 5xxx users dont seem to be affected by this. im curious if any of
the people with this problem tried the vsync workaround with success

Vsync is no option with 120 hz LCDs because 120 fps is still quite a lot, and causes overheating. A simples fps limiter would be a neat solution for this. Funny thing is , I am monitory GPU Usage and Temp it the Usage is mostly 99% in combat with multiple players. Even with not optimal shadows the temps reach 80° quite fast and go beyond.

In other games I also get 99% GPU Usage, but the temps are not so high. Makes no sense to me..

ah well i was not aware of the, i use a 60HZ so vsync works fine for me, hope yall work it out!
Same problem,
ATI HD 5650
85-95 degrees on GPU, with and without Vsync, with CoolerMaster cooling pad, new cooling paste + laptop cleanup.

Can run new games at 82 degrees maximum, D3 stayed below 80.
I can provide system dumps if needed.

EDIT: testing RadeonPro program to tweak PoE...I hope it will help a bit.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322031&highlight=radeonpro
Last edited by Huggme on Feb 12, 2013, 3:48:48 PM
Samne on Gt 520M i can play Far Cry 3 for few hours and temp stays below 80 and when i turn PoE on it;s get around 85 in like 10-15 minutes, unplayable
IGN Aliiya
"
Huggme wrote:
Same problem,
ATI HD 5650
85-95 degrees on GPU, with and without Vsync, with CoolerMaster cooling pad, new cooling paste + laptop cleanup.

Can run new games at 82 degrees maximum, D3 stayed below 80.
I can provide system dumps if needed.

EDIT: testing RadeonPro program to tweak PoE...I hope it will help a bit.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322031&highlight=radeonpro

I tried limiting FPS to 60, but I doubt this feature works. When I tried 30, game still ran at 60.
Only "solution" so far for me was to downclock GPU (Via AMD GPU clock tool) a little, at the expense of many FPS drops mainly when GPU intensive abilities are used in game.

Not a pleasant gameplay experience, when one get 60-15-5-40-60 FPS spikes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info