GPU heavy overheating?

im using a AMD 5770 and since i got heavy heat problems in poe i started browsing for it and landed here - where people seem to have the very same problem.

it kinda annoys me how often is written "clean your heatsink" or "take you pc to a tech". guys we aint stupid. if this was the usual heat probem we wouldnt write here. as for me my GPU usually runs with 25% fan speed (forced) and normally never passes 55° with that setting. when i had my first pc heat crash ever with poe i lifted the force on the fan to see it go up to 60%.

not a single other game makes my fan spin faster. neither skyrim nor rage or whatever. and no game i ever had to FPS cap (infact some of them run with way higher fps than poe does). vsync capping isnt even an option for me since i use an 120hz monitor and vsync caps nothing for me at all.

this is a technical problem of poe or the gpu driver or both and not easily fixed by basic user options like mechanically fixing something in the pc..
Path of Exile might have a heavier load on the graphics card rather that the processor. If you ask me, that's good. I've seen other games where the load falls mostly on the CPU, bottle-necking the graphics card, making high-end video cards act the same as some crappy old card.

Either way, video card manufacturers don't make the cards "burn" if they run at 100% usage. You could also ask in their forums, maybe it's a driver related issue.
Implementing a simple 60 FPS cap option would solve this issue for most people with this problem. I got a 120 hz lcd so that is not a perfect option for me. And nVidia Vsync options don't seem to work on PoE. (Adaptive Vsynce (half refresh rate))
Need a fps limiter, or tell us how to cap fps within the config file?
same problem got a HD5850 ATI , got no problems in any other game.
At some maps with more ppl fps just go to bottom , ill start to monitorize temperatura and gpu usage and check if its a heat problem.
you can cap the fps in the options menu....with vsync...
"
evilcaster wrote:

i dont know if vsync does the trick for others but for 120hz users thats no solution.
even if it was doing anything (which again it doesnt) than it would still be nothing
than a clunky workaround with all the issues that vsync brings (mouse input lag etc)

an ingame option to cap fps would in theory be better. it puzzles me however
that non AMD 5xxx users dont seem to be affected by this. im curious if any of
the people with this problem tried the vsync workaround with success
Last edited by Luve on Jan 31, 2013, 11:53:32 PM
after checked temps i see that i dont have GPU overheat issues , i installed newest ati drivers and still my FPS go down a lot. Dont know whats going just bought a new CPU months ago and everything but GPU.

Maybe this game has issues with SSDs like other games do?
"
Luve wrote:
"
evilcaster wrote:

i dont know if vsync does the trick for others but for 120hz users thats no solution.
even if it was doing anything (which again it doesnt) than it would still be nothing
than a clunky workaround with all the issues that vsync brings (mouse input lag etc)

an ingame option to cap fps would in theory be better. it puzzles me however
that non AMD 5xxx users dont seem to be affected by this. im curious if any of
the people with this problem tried the vsync workaround with success

Vsync is no option with 120 hz LCDs because 120 fps is still quite a lot, and causes overheating. A simples fps limiter would be a neat solution for this. Funny thing is , I am monitory GPU Usage and Temp it the Usage is mostly 99% in combat with multiple players. Even with not optimal shadows the temps reach 80° quite fast and go beyond.

In other games I also get 99% GPU Usage, but the temps are not so high. Makes no sense to me..
Okay I crashed again with the GPU shutting down itself while hacing only a temp of ~83°. So I doubt it has something to do with overheating.

Strangely even if I push my Anti Aliasing settings via nvidia drivers up to 16x CSAA with 8x Supersample the fps still goes over 100 fps sometimes. Its completely unstable. If I activate Post Processing the Anti Aliasing doesn't work anymore (seeing rough edges again).

I installed latest nvidia and bios driver, and nothing did the fix for me. I don't have an creative soundcard, Asus Xonar DX.

So I am really running out of possible solutions and hope GGG will provide something, so I can enjoy this game to its fullest.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info