GPU heavy overheating?

Same here... used AMD GPU Clock tool to downclock to prevent overheating
now fps jumping up and down like on a trampoline

seems to have gotten worse after the latest patch
yesterday i passed the limit

my PSU blew up after hours of playing PoE. Apparently the heat emission from the GPU killed one of the Elkos. When i opened the case everything was hot like in an oven.

it puzzles me why i suffer from this issue even more then the rest of you. i already downclocked my 5770 to the minimum values possible in ccc. and even with that settings my fan ran at 80% speed.
funny thing is my normal fan speed while gaming (no downclocking) is like 30%, the gpu never passed 50°, system temp never passed 33°. im running a very low power consuming, low temperature system but PoE still managed to blow it - impressive! ^^

guess i should stay away from this a while until theres a frame limiter (but then again.. there was never a game where i would have to limit my frames)
"
Joel_GGG wrote:
I've added a large case fan that directly moves air onto my card to keep it cool enough. If your card stays at 80*C for too long it may melt and die!

Nope, the metal components can withstand up to over 100 degrees in various cases.

I had a Geforce 8800GT that only ever caused a game to crash, when the 105 degree safety threshold was reached (The threshold which triggers a severe underclock in the video card). The high temperatures weren't causing any problems at all, only the safety mechanism was killing my joy :/

Also the fact that the safety threshold was set at 105 degrees celsius is a good indicator of the kind of treatment video cards can withstand :) However I will say that the default fans video cards come equipped with, can't cool video cards at those temperatures sufficiently enough to keep them from exceeding the event horizon (Threshold where the fan becomes incapable of cooling and instead acts as a slowing agent, slowing down the rate the card increases in heat but not being able to stop it from increasing in heat)

Unless you overclock or have a card that is overclocked by default, extreme heat shouldn't damage it before the safety mechanisms kick in.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 13, 2013, 4:55:14 AM
"
"
Joel_GGG wrote:
I've added a large case fan that directly moves air onto my card to keep it cool enough. If your card stays at 80*C for too long it may melt and die!

Nope, the metal components can withstand up to over 100 degrees in various cases.

I had a Geforce 8800GT that only ever caused a game to crash, when the 105 degree safety threshold was reached (The threshold which triggers a severe underclock in the video card). The high temperatures weren't causing any problems at all, only the safety mechanism was killing my joy :/

Also the fact that the safety threshold was set at 105 degrees celsius is a good indicator of the kind of treatment video cards can withstand :) However I will say that the default fans video cards come equipped with, can't cool video cards at those temperatures sufficiently enough to keep them from exceeding the event horizon (Threshold where the fan becomes incapable of cooling and instead acts as a slowing agent, slowing down the rate the card increases in heat but not being able to stop it from increasing in heat)

Unless you overclock or have a card that is overclocked by default, extreme heat shouldn't damage it before the safety mechanisms kick in.

+1

On the other hand, 90+ temperatures while playing for many hours is certainly not ideal.
I find out, that "Poison Arrow" heat up my GPU most.

Shooting with that skill the hole Screen (2560x1440) and the GPU-Fan goes up and Temp goes up to 76°C.

Its a GTX680 and here is 76°C okay (Furmark brings it to 83°C without crahes, and nVidia give a max-Temp of 98°C).
The GPU-Useage goes to 100% and stays there.
After all "poison" is gone, the GPU goes back down to 65°C and GPU-Useage goes down to 60%.

I use vSync (60Hz).
I tried to get it cooler (not because of the 76°, more because of the loud Fans), but limit to 30 FPS (with nVidia-Inspector) isn't a good idear, because the screen starts to stutter while runing...

So, i think the heat is because of some skills.

BUT: NO Software is able to "overheat" a graficcard! The design of the card is so, that it must endure a long time of 100%& useage. If it doesn't, the graficcard-design is crap, or you need more fans to blow the heat air out of the case.

Most nVidia-Cards are designed to stay 15°C under the max-chip temperature.
If the card feels that this temp is there, it pushes the fan-speed to compensate to amout of heat.

You can allso use a software to manually controll the fanspeed of your card.
But doing that, ITS YOUR OWN RISK!
And to push the fanspeed manually up to get lower temperatures results in higher noise of the fans...
If i have no shadows and no post processing on, my temps are 5-6 degrees lower. Dunno if it helps any one or not in here, or if u guys tried it but give it a go.
I've found that running any web page in the background seems to throw my 4870 into hyperdrive and the fans immediately go berserk. There are instances in game where I encounter this issue but it almost always revolves around overwhelming particle effects when in a group. Not sure what the issue is with background applications causing the GPU to suddenly increase usage but it is annoying.
"
I've found that running any web page in the background seems to throw my 4870 into hyperdrive and the fans immediately go berserk. There are instances in game where I encounter this issue but it almost always revolves around overwhelming particle effects when in a group. Not sure what the issue is with background applications causing the GPU to suddenly increase usage but it is annoying.

That may result from the hardware-acceleration of the new generation of browsers...
This game has shut my computer down twice due to overheating. its a very interesting game and i would like to progress and play but until it is fixed i will unfortunately not be playing anymore as i am extremely worried about permanently damaging something as i am in no position to buy a new computer.

i am using an i5 with a ati 5650 HD

If anyone finds a serious fix that can be done by ATI users please post as i do enjoy the game.

Good luck to the rest of you still running the risk.
Hello,

I also have a gaming rig which is overheating while i play Path of exile.

I play battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Skyrim some other games in max setting, skyrim in particular i have 15GB worth of texture and improvement mods, and i run all games maxed out between 60-80 FPS, i have 1200 hours played in diablo 3, i had some 15 hour session playing it, and those games never got my GPU past 70º(in the hottest of the days), since i use water-cooling.

I played the closed beta for a while, and i played a lot when it went open beta with no problems ever, but AFTER PATCH 0.10.1 my GPU started to overheat in seconds from 45º to 89º(the higher it went) in 2 or 3 minutes.

Every 15-20 minutes of gaming session i get a BSOD, related to the overheating i imagine.

I always play PoE with vsync on, so my framerate was always fixed at 60, so i decided to play with vsync off, shadows off, less AA, medium textures to test what was the problem, and it seems i got a bit less crashes for every lower settings i use.

Since i invested some money in the game, i feel like i bought it and cant play it, so im kinda frustrated, i hope the DEVs can address this issue.

My rig
p8z77 Asus motherboard
1200 wats PSU gold
i7 3770
GTX 590
8GB ram

All in stock clock.

If the DEVs need ANY kind of report or information i can provide, i will be happy to do it.
IGN: Ziggro

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info