GPU heavy overheating?

had the same problem with poe with my old laptop with ati 5650

fixed it by limiting fps to ~40, now my temps hover around 70-80 compared to >95 before, u can google fps_limiter_0.2 and use that to limit the fps!

share this tip to more people and try it out yourself!
IGN itsYOLO
"
rudyzhou2 wrote:

fixed it by limiting fps to ~40, now my temps hover around 70-80 compared to >95 before, u can google fps_limiter_0.2 and use that to limit the fps!

Look, i have an expensive PC, and i like to play games that have nice texture, good shadows, ambient occlusion, and i like it running smooth, on max 60 fps(screen refresh rate) with vsync so i dont get the screen tearing.

If u r saying here i gotta dumb down to no shadows, low texture and limit my FPS, i rather go play something else.

I already posted a wall of explaining and offered help to gather data from my pc for this problem.
IGN: Ziggro
Last edited by ziggro on Feb 15, 2013, 9:33:26 AM
"
ziggro wrote:
"
rudyzhou2 wrote:

Look, i have a $4000 PC, and i like to play games that have nice texture, good shadows, ambient occlusion, and i like it running smooth, on max 60 fps(screen refresh rate) with vsync so i dont get the screen tearing.

If u r saying here i gotta dumb down to no shadows, low texture and limit my FPS, i rather go play something else.

I already posted a wall of explaining and offered help to gather data from my pc for this problem.

no the fps_limiter_0.2 only limit your Max FPS. got nothing to do with your our setting.
Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
"
starsg wrote:
"
ziggro wrote:
"
rudyzhou2 wrote:

Look, i have a $4000 PC, and i like to play games that have nice texture, good shadows, ambient occlusion, and i like it running smooth, on max 60 fps(screen refresh rate) with vsync so i dont get the screen tearing.

no the fps_limiter_0.2 only limit your Max FPS. got nothing to do with your our setting.

Yes limiting FPS leads to screen tearing and playing with low FPS is lame as hell, thats y i bought a new pc, sound system, new monitor, so i could play game in their max settings and with a non choppy screen(limiting the FPS makes it really choppy and weird just like my old laptop, the one i upgraded)

And as i said in my precious post, in page 6 of the thread, even with my FPS limited it still burns my card.

Seems like GGG needs to have a talk to the Nvidia people, couse their game inst cataloged in the list of nvidia known games, meaning they can probably fix it in a new driver or something . Skyrim was a mess being rendered on release.

PS: i DID limited my FPS so i can play for a bit, but i get a freaking screen tear line in the middle screen 100% of the time.
IGN: Ziggro
Last edited by ziggro on Feb 15, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Add me to the death list too. There seems to be quite an issue with GPU overheating that I've also been experimenting myself since playing Path of Exile. I'm currently running PoE on a 3rd gen i5 Lenovo laptop, with a dedicated GeForce 610m GPU and I must say that it's the only game that's stressing my video card to 90 degrees celsius constantly, with the lowest settings possible.
I've tried all the possible tweaks, including cleaning the dust inside my laptop, buying a cooling pad, driver updates, software tweaks, capping fps, all being in vain.

GGG team allow me to congratulate you for your hard work and dedication but please take into consideration this rather annoying problem that's rendering the game unplayable for some of us.
My 7970 crashes while playing with vsync off if the fan speed is <65%.
At 70% speeds it works fine, but UBER NOISY.

Might want to code the game a bit better!
Fortunately I haven't experienced any overheating related crashes, but I too am experiencing extremely high heat when playing PoE. My gtx 580m (laptop) generally doesn't have many problems playing games and I only occasionally hear the fan turn on and off. Playing path of exile however, the fan is on nearly the entire time and I'm seeing temps in the mid 90's range which is a bit higher than what I've noticed from other games. (usually 70's or low 80's) Not being entirely computer literate I'm not sure if it's because I've enabled triple buffering and vsync in the nvidia control panel for this game (a suggestion someone made in another thread made for the fps drops, citing that the in game vsync doesn't work) or if there's anything further I can do to try to reduce the strain. (settings are already the lowest)

I'll commend GGG on an excellent game, but the heat issue is worrisome after a long session.
I'm having same issue. Here is a link for my thread where I have explained problem.

Link:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/181173
IGN: Dasp

Some feedback from the devs regarding this concern would be highly appreciated.
Hi,

my GPU is overheating too, especially at 'The Docks' Act 3. Temperature is at 88°C other areas are about 80°C. Other Games running with ~70°C.

System: Core i7 950
Gigabyte UD7
GTX 580
Monitor @120Hz

P.S.: If you need more information PM me.
PC: i7-4770k; Gtx Titan; 16GB Ram; Asrock Extreme9/ac; Creative Recon3d; Win7/64bit
Last edited by Zottel1 on Feb 25, 2013, 12:36:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info