Fork

It seems that fork is pretty bugged right now, cause the dmg bonus/penalty does not apply correctly.

An example: My fork is at lvl 14 with +26% projectile dmg, -30% projectile dmg. So basically the attached spell/ranged attack shouldn't be weakened that much anymore.

Even if these both values are calculated in succession the penalty should only be about 12 %.

But my Ethereal Knives-spell is still weakened for about 25%.

Please explain this to me :D

( i'm not a native english speaker, pls apologize any grammar fails)
Last edited by jacklasss on Feb 1, 2013, 12:38:05 PM
'Increased' is additive; 'Less' is multiplicative.

Let's say you deal 100 damage and have +100% Increased Projectile damage (this would leave you at 200 damage). At level zero, adding Fork works out as follows:
100 * (1 + (100/100)) * 0.7 = 140

You now level Fork further, and it adds +30% Increased Projectile damage.
100 * (1 + (100/100) + (30/100)) * 0.7 = 161

Due to the order in which the modifiers are applied, the negative effect is much stronger than the positive bonus. It's working as intended :)
Lightning arrow + lesser multiple projectiles + fork

How many lightning arrows do i have? (Please show math)

THX
1 *3 *2 = 6 total. AoE bursts from light arrow is not arrows, just extra hits within range.

6 *3 = 18 is the second "up to" number of hits. its very difficult for all forked projectiles to hit something, but some will.
I am trying freezing pulse + fork and it seems to do .. nothing. The damage and mana cost penalties work, but no forking ever happens that I can see. What's up with that?

edit: ah, searched it. That's bogus.
not enough time for gaming!
Last edited by zinger on Feb 1, 2013, 11:50:06 PM
reading the first page, fork doesnt fork the arrows when fired. it forks AFTER it hits?!

so if i can fire 5 arrows with splt arrows, i'm not firing 10 arrows if i use fork?

thus fork is basically just a 2x damage multiplier since it only doubles if it hits?
WHY? I also want to double the chances of hitting monsters!

i also want to see the cool effects of 10 arrows being fired :)

so call Fork something different to more appropaitely reflect its game mechanics?

fork splits on hit of foe, but that is still doubling as two are made and fly out from the struck foe. chain works slightly different, it adds 2 more hits to each arrow instead of spreading out the extra shots.
Really change the description of Fork, when it says it supports projectiles it should support all projectiles and not just a few of them.
"
SsQLildon wrote:
Really change the description of Fork, when it says it supports projectiles it should support all projectiles and not just a few of them.

It does support all Projectiles, except Rain of Arrows (which is a Projectile only in that it benefits from Projectile Damage/Speed bonuses).
Pierce overrides Fork though.
I didn't know that the damage increase of fork was additive while the decrease was multiplicative until reading this page. You look at the gem and think "+30% damage -30% damage ... ok that's 0%" because there's no obvious explanation on the tooltip or even the wiki. But I never bothered to check my attack's tooltip, so I didn't notice I was wasting 25% of my mana to lose 300 DPS.

Between the inability to fork piercing attacks, the odd angle of incidence, and the huge single-target damage loss, I don't see why anyone would ever use this gem. On packs of mobs chain would be far superior because you don't have to worry about the angle of your initial shot. Any other gem would be a DPS increase on single targets comparable to the DPS Fork gains on two hits. So basically Fork is only viable if you're hitting three targets often and two targets the rest of the time. Yet you'd be forced to sacrifice DPS to achieve the correct angle for those hits anyway.

If you decide to change how this works, I have a few suggestions:

- The forked projectiles could auto-target enemies within a certain arc on either side.
- Make the damage factors either additive OR multiplicative - or specify that there's a difference somehow.
- Instead of making piercing projectiles entirely unable to fork, they could incur an additional damage penalty, which would offset the damage gain without making the mechanics more confusing than necessary. Then just add a blue stat on the gem that says "Piercing projectiles lose x% damage."

This will clear up most of the confusion surrounding the mechanics of Fork and make it worth using even if it's still a DPS loss for single targets.
IGN Mekronid

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info