PC Gamer unveils Descent race events

This sounds absolutely brutal! Can't wait to give it a go! :)
"
lukeiy wrote:
Will there be descent races in the future with standard items which won't involve a wipe at the end? Because that would be even better.

That would be really nice - as a lesser racer the maximum I ever got was 3 points and a crappy bow from a race, so things like a really nice rare or an ocassional alchemy orb for my HC character was kind of nice.
I have done like 2 or 3 races so far, not so much into the racing stuff, but this sounds rely nice.

I would also appreciate if they would be some longer then 1 hour descent races, especially for people who aren't actually "racers". In the article its described to be somewhat like a
single-player rpg experience, but within one hoer there isn't too much to explore. Some people like to play a little less fast paced, just stay there for some seconds, exploring the area, star a bit at the new awesome sword that just dropped, zoom in to to check how awesome your character looks with it, and then go on and slay some mobs.
ign: UpForJava
Descent seems really cool, shame it's only an hour though.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Bunnu wrote:
It sounds very interesting and fun but I'm also disappointed at characters being wiped after, currency was always a nice extra reward after doing a race. All of my exalted orbs have been found while racing.

i'm going to have to agree with this.

while it sounds interesting for a race. but the reward for the event must be rewarding otherwise doing the event is a waste of time to me when at the end of it I get nothing to walk away with.

at least in the other events, at the end my character and items are transferred and I have time to sort them out after the event.

now at the end of this wipe. I get nothing. so I don't feel like I have achieved anything. other than silly season points.

what would be more disappointing is that I get some cool unique drop and then it is getting wiped after the event.

sorry but it's not worth the hour spent. would rather be working on building my character or play another game instead.

i'll try it once or twice but after that it's a waste of an hour.

now if u want to use this concept - I like the concept of how far can u go without going to town and no way points and keep whatever you can carry for the duration of the race. (hour is a bit short) which means you can't go very far- you'll get as far as act 2.

I think what would be MORE interesting is having a vendor/stash (caravan?) that appears at certain points hidden in the adventure. you find them. once you talk to them they will de-spawn after 20minutes? so you must progress further until you find another caravan (random spawn). now this concept you can at least make the event a league that has no ending time. basically it's like survival mode while searching for the caravan.

To me that is more interesting. and it will last longer as a separate ongoing league.

Last edited by RonEmpire on Jun 22, 2013, 7:49:00 AM
new race type sounds pretty much like a rogue-like.

i love rogue-likes :D

"
Bunnu wrote:
It sounds very interesting and fun but I'm also disappointed at characters being wiped after, currency was always a nice extra reward after doing a race. All of my exalted orbs have been found while racing.

I have to disagree. For this game mode to feel new/different it is obviously essential, that gear is introduced that is somehow different/stronger/more rare/whatever from standard gear. Depending on the degree of this, being able to keep the items would seriously impact the game economy. And on another note, you have do not know yet how the rewards are going to look like. Maybee they provide you with a extra amount of random currency at the end of these events that compensates for not being able to keep the currency, like in the early closed beta races?
Last edited by Shroof on Jun 22, 2013, 8:27:25 AM
Instead of destroyed, would be cool if they get stored in some limbo place so that people can:

1) compare their end result (lvl/items) for different descent races
2) post on forum and brag and compare results again

3)*** next month we have decent 2 where people get to continue on from their descent 1 characters :p (for another hour)

I haven't done any race yet, but Descent seems really interesting. It's nice to see new playing modes coming up.
Once again amazed at the new concepts, I don't know where you get your ideas from but keep it coming!! I can't wait. Thanks GGG.
IGN:SorXeress
Typically not a racer, but this sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info