PC Gamer unveils Descent race events

This is the most interesting league event type so far.

I just wish you hadn't stopped awarding orbs like in CB for individual races. The season rewards are pretty much crap.

For example, the reward for participating in and getting 3 pts in 20 1-3 hour events is a max ilvl neck. Which can be had in general trade for like 2 chaos.

The effort involved in the races is not worth the season rewards, and there is basically no reward at all for individual races. So anyone who is inclined to do a couple races a season sees nothing.

It's crap.

Make the events reward random orbs again. If your worried about too many orbs in econ, then make it so we can only orb rewards 20 times a season or something. It might get more people to try your races.

Edit: Also, since you put effort in the art and stuff here, why not give us a new 8 level dungeon crawl to do. Let it start at player level and +1 each zone down.
Last edited by Zaanus on Jun 22, 2013, 11:26:20 AM
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

This has nothing to do with your crying. You cry because you can't prepare for a new content league and assume it's pure lottery. Minority complex would be more accurate.

Because it doesn't look like a league which starts from Twilight Strand every player has the same amount of experience, similar to the first lethal race, where everbody tried to melee Hillock and almost everybody got killed within 1-2 hits.
The reason was that the majority of players assumed:
50 more phys damage on mobs doing phys damage
50 more phys and 50% more cold damage on mobs doing cold and phys damage.

The screens hint that the races are random map/dungeon races meaning how efficient do you kill and muling gems doesn't seem to be possible aka no gem mules.
Witches must live without icenova. Elecleavebuilds are screwed.

This league is a good attempt to attract more players and to see which classes/builds are too strong at the beginning with their own gems like the duelist for example, who more attack speed than other classes despite being a hybrid and more damage that a mara/templar.

"
The reason the same people win is because greater skill is what overcomes better item drops for another player. In reality mob density has the same or even more of an effect at times than your items.

The impact of greater skill on the outcome is far less the shorter a race is.

This is a daring assumption ignoring several arguments.

The top racers have good loading times and with act2 loading times start to kick in and act3 loading times become horrible.
If GGG would finally fix the way PoE loads areas the advantage would go away. More open world games load areas instantly and the only game where you saw areas loading was TES3 Morrowing.
I haven't got good loading times but I have seen players that have even worse loading times than me and I am certain that there are really good racers which unfortunately have loading times of 10s or more.

This reduces "skill" to following: Skipping mobs that are 3 or less levels below you, know the levels your gems level up, know baseitems and itemmods.

The remaining difference is bugabusing.
For example the top shadow players abuse the whirling blade bug on bosses.
There are several AI timeout bugs like Merveil close to a pillar/the wall or brutus unable to attack via stair trick.
The common one player trick in party races, since GGG still doesn't use a global 6 player mutliplier but uses instancecreation based HP.
Efficienty in builds. The best racers use the same builds over and over again.

Or how about the fact that only experienced players party up together?

It's a fact there are better racers than the common ones who don't do many racers like Alkalizer, Truncator, IMD etc.

Another thing that you can see is that the common racers tend to stay away from longer harder racemodes and claim "desyncs to much"

Loading times, lol. That is the reason why people don't finish well in races. I would have made the assumption that people struggle because they are playing outside their comfort level or they're just not good at shorter races.

Only 613 people got 100+ points in the last season. There is only competition between limited number of hardcore players who can play every possible race. So i don't think most people really care about those races. What is the current numbers of player base in PoE anyway?
"
Semarogin wrote:
Only 613 people got 100+ points in the last season. There is only competition between limited number of hardcore players who can play every possible race. So i don't think most people really care about those races. What is the current numbers of player base in PoE anyway?

2 000 000 registered accounts. Yes, I know, not the number of active players, but still. The race seasons are a great system for the top 1%. GGG needs to understand that most players will never post on the forums, never raise their voice and share their concerns. I would love to see the correlation between having more than 5 forum posts and participating in races. My bet is on a heavy one.

The top 1% will not pay your bills alone. GGG needs a system that caters to the more casual player, whether the so called hardcore players admit it or not.
This event sounds worse then the rest because this sounds like a much more fun long term league (where waypoints only use would be as save points) and it being only 1h and everything destroyed at end makes it a total waste of time. I will probably try one just to make sure if this would really be fun as a long term league.

Not a racer why can't something like this come to a perma league?
Strength and Honor,
Phatboi
The wipe after probably means there will be increased drop rates on gems\currency\items to make it viable to progress, considering there are no quests or vendors... so, the 'higher drop chance' would affect the economies on the other leagues when it was over. I believe that to be fairly logical and straight forward.

As for the 1h duration, i also would like to see something more on the line of the 1-3h range, or even a weekly race, but people need to realize that it's probably up for 'testing', much like the 'turbo 1-3h' leagues that eventually turned into a 4month Onslaught League. Who knows what will happen next.

Absolutely ecstatic with the idea, and really looking forward for it.

On another note, any estimate on when Act 4 will pop up?
Descent sounds great. Without even playing it, I can imagine it would be a great on-going ladder league where the object was to get as deep as possible in a never-ending dungeon where things get harder and faster the further down you go. Basically a Rogue-like mode for PoE where you are expected to die and the fun is trying to last as long as possible.

The ladder needed for something like this is already in place for Onslaught where dead characters are shown in grey. It could even be setup with league prizes more for being alive at the end at the deepest level and/or character level and still some for whomever reached the deepest. Add in random shopkeepers at some points to make loot relevant as well. I could see this working with parties or single player - possible with A town above that you start in to form a party but once you enter the dungeon you can't get back out.

Hopefully that is something being thought of for the future cause I can see that being a draw to the game in addition to the regular game story/acts.

On a side note, I think the races are more accessible for the casual player than the regular or long leagues just because you have limited time to play. Now if you are terrible at the game or slow like me, can't help that - you'll (or I'll) probably never get the good prizes, but we have a better shot at being competitive.

"
Hilbert wrote:
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

This has nothing to do with your crying. You cry because you can't prepare for a new content league and assume it's pure lottery. Minority complex would be more accurate.

Because it doesn't look like a league which starts from Twilight Strand every player has the same amount of experience, similar to the first lethal race, where everbody tried to melee Hillock and almost everybody got killed within 1-2 hits.
The reason was that the majority of players assumed:
50 more phys damage on mobs doing phys damage
50 more phys and 50% more cold damage on mobs doing cold and phys damage.

The screens hint that the races are random map/dungeon races meaning how efficient do you kill and muling gems doesn't seem to be possible aka no gem mules.
Witches must live without icenova. Elecleavebuilds are screwed.

This league is a good attempt to attract more players and to see which classes/builds are too strong at the beginning with their own gems like the duelist for example, who more attack speed than other classes despite being a hybrid and more damage that a mara/templar.

"
The reason the same people win is because greater skill is what overcomes better item drops for another player. In reality mob density has the same or even more of an effect at times than your items.

The impact of greater skill on the outcome is far less the shorter a race is.

This is a daring assumption ignoring several arguments.

The top racers have good loading times and with act2 loading times start to kick in and act3 loading times become horrible.
If GGG would finally fix the way PoE loads areas the advantage would go away. More open world games load areas instantly and the only game where you saw areas loading was TES3 Morrowing.
I haven't got good loading times but I have seen players that have even worse loading times than me and I am certain that there are really good racers which unfortunately have loading times of 10s or more.

This reduces "skill" to following: Skipping mobs that are 3 or less levels below you, know the levels your gems level up, know baseitems and itemmods.

The remaining difference is bugabusing.
For example the top shadow players abuse the whirling blade bug on bosses.
There are several AI timeout bugs like Merveil close to a pillar/the wall or brutus unable to attack via stair trick.
The common one player trick in party races, since GGG still doesn't use a global 6 player mutliplier but uses instancecreation based HP.
Efficienty in builds. The best racers use the same builds over and over again.

Or how about the fact that only experienced players party up together?

It's a fact there are better racers than the common ones who don't do many racers like Alkalizer, Truncator, IMD etc.

Another thing that you can see is that the common racers tend to stay away from longer harder racemodes and claim "desyncs to much"

"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info