PoE - Diablo 3

So this beetle walks into a car dealership and the salesman says "We have a car named after you" and the beetle says "you have a car named steve?" and the salesman says "holy crap a talking beetle!" and then the salesman figures he's gone insane and decides to kill himself rather than subject his family to his delusions...

sad story really.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
So this beetle walks into a car dealership and the salesman says "We have a car named after you" and the beetle says "you have a car named steve?" and the salesman says "holy crap a talking beetle!" and then the salesman figures he's gone insane and decides to kill himself rather than subject his family to his delusions...

sad story really.

I have to admit, this made me laugh pretty hard.
"
Septile wrote:
Holy fucking shit, you seriously can't read...
unbelieveable, I'm not even going to bother wasting any more time on you because there's no point in trying to explain something to somebody who doesn't even know how to read.

Awesome...sorry to waste your precious time there bud.
I played the Diablo games for many years. Starting with Diablo 1, what like 10+ years ago now? Then Diablo 2 and then the LOD expansion pack for D2.

Can never get enough of this type of game so I'm always looking for new ones to try out.

Most I have tried are junk. They just fail miserably on the balancing of game-play or the interface just feels clunky / detached.

When one of my searches brought up a forum mentioning Path of Exile well I just had to check it out.

I must say I like what I see so far. While the graphics are not overall as professional as those in Diablo 3 (meaning from a purely art quality view) I find the art style being use by Path of Exile much more to my liking.

The graphics in PoE look far more realistic and not cartoony. D3, like WOW, in my opinion looks like it is made for little kids to play. I never got into WOW for that reason (I'm 43 years old so yeah cartoony stuff doesn't hold a whole lot of appeal to me - ha ha).

At least D3 doesn't suffer nearly so much from the kids game look as WOW. So, I'm definitely looking forward to D3.

PoE I am definitely looking forward to playing as well. From what I have seen in the screen-shots and videos the game looks like a very enjoyable and challenging hack n' slash.

I anticipate many many hours of enjoyable multiplayer gaming with my cousins.

In my opinion the only way you could compare these 2 games is stricly by genre, the art style, direction of skill advancement, and overall goals of each are entirely different from my perspective. I'm excited for both, D3 mainly for the lore and the fact that I have been waiting oh so long to see the finished result, and PoE for... well... everything.

The direction they went with the art style is just so much darker and more disturbing than i've seen of D3 so far, i'm hoping the story and lore in PoE draw me in to pull me away from D3 as I would much rather see a small developer rise up and become what blizzard is now.
"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda
If GGG gets the story and Lore and item system right, PoE is the real thing.

The graphics and gameplay already look spot on.
"
Ironembraced wrote:
If you missed out on Diablo I & II, I am sorry but no excuse is acceptable to ignore these games if you have any love for hack and slashing.

Nah. For me, there's a point at which a game is just plain dated. I was playing other games when D2 was launched. Years later, I downloaded and tried the demo - but couldn't get past the low resolution and outdated graphics. Call me a technophile, but sometimes, a game's just old. I've always heard great things about the Diablo series, but it passed me by while I was playing some other fantastic games - and I don't really feel I missed out on anything for it.

It's a case of Thomas Wolfe's 'you can't go home again' or, in my case - a severe lack of rose-colored-glasses in my outlook. Everything in its own good time, then move on when that time is over. I missed the Diablo series during its time, oh well.

One overlooked element in the To-D3-or-Not-to-D3 debate is one from the 'outsider's' perspective - ie, a game franchise with such a passionate legion of existing, ravenous fans can be a real turn-off to prospective new players. I know it is for me. Between whining from fans of the original 1 or 2 - to Blizz-can-do-no-wrong fanatics of D3 (which will come along as well) - I sincerely doubt I'll glean much enjoyment from that community.

D3 will make it's money on existing fans, for sure. And some new people will pick up the series as well. But rest assured, there are many like myself who will be turned off and or intimidated by the very prospect of wading into a pre-existing community that will likely be full of overheated trolling and fanboi denouncements/pronouncements.

Usually, such people are only the vocal minority. But when it comes to Blizzard titles... I'm not so sure. And not all that willing to risk it, either.
You'll be surprised what you can live through.
Soldiers of the Wasteland
sotwguild.com
"
MerchantKill wrote:
"
Ironembraced wrote:
If you missed out on Diablo I & II, I am sorry but no excuse is acceptable to ignore these games if you have any love for hack and slashing.

^ very true hack n slash games are by far the most entertaining games in my opinion. they are especially popular with people who have ADHD such as myself :). It never ends with a hack n slash all about gearing up and being awesome, exp with new builds, strong social communities etc... things like this are why ARPG are so replayable there is alot more to do vs games such as Elder Scrolls and Two Worlds (Not trying to troll) these games are boring to me and i know im not the only one :P. Im still playing titan quest in 2011 :D
"turn based rpg's are for people who have sausage fingers" -me
"
Phouriuh wrote:

^ very true hack n slash games are by far the most entertaining games in my opinion. they are especially popular with people who have ADHD such as myself :). It never ends with a hack n slash all about gearing up and being awesome, exp with new builds, strong social communities etc... things like this are why ARPG are so replayable there is alot more to do vs games such as Elder Scrolls and Two Worlds (Not trying to troll) these games are boring to me and i know im not the only one :P. Im still playing titan quest in 2011 :D

Very addictive would be another way to put it :).

I share you're distaste for Elder Scrolls and others similar.
"
MerchantKill wrote:
"
Ironembraced wrote:

Nah. For me, there's a point at which a game is just plain dated. I was playing other games when D2 was launched. Years later, I downloaded and tried the demo - but couldn't get past the low resolution and outdated graphics. Call me a technophile, but sometimes, a game's just old. I've always heard great things about the Diablo series, but it passed me by while I was playing some other fantastic games - and I don't really feel I missed out on anything for it.

It's a case of Thomas Wolfe's 'you can't go home again' or, in my case - a severe lack of rose-colored-glasses in my outlook. Everything in its own good time, then move on when that time is over. I missed the Diablo series during its time, oh well.

One overlooked element in the To-D3-or-Not-to-D3 debate is one from the 'outsider's' perspective - ie, a game franchise with such a passionate legion of existing, ravenous fans can be a real turn-off to prospective new players. I know it is for me. Between whining from fans of the original 1 or 2 - to Blizz-can-do-no-wrong fanatics of D3 (which will come along as well) - I sincerely doubt I'll glean much enjoyment from that community.

D3 will make it's money on existing fans, for sure. And some new people will pick up the series as well. But rest assured, there are many like myself who will be turned off and or intimidated by the very prospect of wading into a pre-existing community that will likely be full of overheated trolling and fanboi denouncements/pronouncements.

Usually, such people are only the vocal minority. But when it comes to Blizzard titles... I'm not so sure. And not all that willing to risk it, either.

Fair enough.

I never understood the obcession with Diablo either, until I accidently got sucked into it.

Now I feel cursed, because no game producer has been able to re-create the experience.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info