D4 no gud, send me poe2 thx

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
You are being ridiculous asking for quotes...

I really don't think I am. This wasn't some subjective perception or interpretation, this was you directly saying "there is no engine overhaul" as it's some kind of fact. You even say it yourself: We don't know, but you are allowed to say what is and what isn't happening? Come on. And then you're suddenly using "new engine"; has anyone claimed that, or did you just use it for dramatic effect?

BTW, GGG used the words "massive improvements". I CAN link you to that, if you want.

I think I would call the sum of all known changes as an "overhaul", yes. Would I call it a "new engine"? Of course not. I did an overhaul on my outboard motor last summer, but did I make "massive improvements" to it? No. Would I call it a new motor? Hardly, it only runs a little better.

But between the new physics regarding items, environment and characters, with new animations and models, new grass tech, new AI, all the small tweaks they're not talking about and just continuous work on the engine the last 4-5 years? Yes, I would probably call it an overhaul. I don't even think additions or changes are being named in any know definition of overhaul, but that may be beside the point.

First off I didn't use the word. I responded to its use. I'm not sure how responding with "its not an overhaul" is anymore subjective than the original premise of there being and "overhaul" to begin with. Both I suppose are subject to some interpretation. Fine, but I think it's disengenous to have the premise that any changes, or sum of changes, could be considered an overhaul in the context of what that word conveys. Maybe we are just getting hung up on the specific word, versus the scope of the engine projects they are working on.

What if these upgrades only impact the PoE2 campaign and not endgame / maps, or all of PoE1 classic campaign areas? What if the animations are limited to new skills or weapon types? What if the new physics and grass are only in the new acts areas? Would that change your mind on scope definition?

Spoiler
btw CW uses "massive" and "impactful" all the time, so much so that its a meme. Anyways i guess we will have to see what ends up being the scope, but I think the expectations of monumental engine changes are not warranted, or will be a soruce of disappointment
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
What if these upgrades only impact the PoE2 campaign and not endgame / maps, or all of PoE1 classic campaign areas? What if the animations are limited to new skills or weapon types? What if the new physics and grass are only in the new acts areas? Would that change your mind on scope definition?

If they somehow introduced new character models, new character animation, new physics, new monster AI and so on - and limit all that to just the new act, ignoring the old one? I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. But if they didn't apply the changes to the endgame? Yes, it would absolutely change my mind on the scope of things. But they did say that all changes would apply everywhere, so we'll see.

I'm not really factoring in the old acts at all. I think they are irrelevant to the conversation. I will compare them to D2R and the ability to have access to the original D2 by the click of a button: Nice, nostalgic thing to have, but I would use the old/original parts to critique the new stuff.

The endgame, on the other hand... I'm fairly sure environmental changes, tiles, animations, physics and monster/character models/animation will apply to it. If not, I will be very disappointed. But we know, through showcases, that new additions/improvements apply to old skills, so I'm not really worried.

"
but I think the expectations of monumental engine changes are not warranted

I agree. Luckily, I haven't seen many (non-probated) people in here hinting towards those believes.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Mar 23, 2023, 1:36:49 PM
I am looking forward to POE 2 as well. Release it already :)
"
Phrazz wrote:
But they did say that all changes would apply everywhere, so we'll see.

Do you recall where you saw or heard that? You dont have to give me a link, just the source material and I will look for it. If that's true I'll obviously concede that point for sure.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Geez... Semantics much, folks?

How about Poe Chapter 2? =9[.]9=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:

I think we're on at least Chapter 4. :)
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
But they did say that all changes would apply everywhere, so we'll see.

Do you recall where you saw or heard that? You dont have to give me a link, just the source material and I will look for it. If that's true I'll obviously concede that point for sure.

If I remember correctly, it was the ExileCon presentation. Not sure if it was the initial one, or some of the deeper interviews later on.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Depends on how you define "chapter"

:D
...Path of Exile 4Ever. It was right there...

Anyway ta Dave. Exactly the sort of insight I was hoping for.

---

My hopes for a true PoE 2 died when I saw rhe gem overhaul. I had been told if there were ever a sequel, a new gem system with socketable skills rather than linked gear aockets would be one of their biggest priorities. I cannot tell you how excited I was to hear hear that. Truly the sort of evolution from games like Sacred 2 I came to associate with GGG. It is still by far the most impressive, daunting part of PoE 4.0 but gosh it would have been better in every way in a game made for it. I honestly think the power scope of it will split the existing PoE in half like a rusty spoon through a boiled egg. I am less excited and more mortified.

Anyway this has run its course for me and I really wish mummy and daddy would stop fighting.

PS new engine=worthy of "2". So far haven't seen evidence of it at all.

There is no more accurate word for PoE 4.0's promised improvements and additions than overhaul. The gem changes alone ensure that.

Overhaul is not a sequel. Theseus. Same ship. Until someone intimately familiar with the ship no longer sees it and knows it is the original underneath. THAT is my bottom line. Until then, same ship, new/upgraded parts. So I guess Cs2 is also a bit off to me but I don't care about that ship. I care about this one, which was my home for years. Whose captain I got to know in some super casual capacity. Whose construction and maintenance I helped support, as any good passenger should if they can.

I jumped ship not because I stopped caring for it. I jumped because that is what PoE taught me to do when the ship is no longer safe. Ironic that the very premise of the game now runs contrary to what GGG want you to do.

Meanwhile I am having a blast exploring the continent of games upon which I found myself washed.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 23, 2023, 4:30:13 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Depends on how you define "chapter"

:D

I define "chapter" as the next sequential installment in a story. PoE 2 shows us exactly that, so far as the story goes. Events are set some twenty years after the defeat of Kitava, with a new batch of characters (however different they might be from their original incarnations) dealing with a new threat in a new environment, with some references to previous events and situations.

You? =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info