I tried the D4 Beta. I think PoE is going to be just fine.

Downloading the BETA now. Tired of watching videos, have to try for myself.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:

Lol have a book to read or see you here, because the servers are going to be on fire.

Anyways I hope you have a great time with the beta, or at the very least get a hands on.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Ngl but the necro and druid look way more fun than the other three.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

Lol have a book to read or see you here, because the servers are going to be on fire.

Anyways I hope you have a great time with the beta, or at the very least get a hands on.

Yeah, I'm prepared for mayhem, ques, crashes and your typical, modern BETA mess. I also hope I'll have a good time, which is usually the case in your first and second playthrough in Diablo games.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
D4 is an absolute snoozefest currently.
Not a threat to the majority of PoE players IMO.

Hopefully, GGG caters to the right core audience and continues improving on build diversity, depth, and QoL for those players. Viable build diversity at end game has definitely been the lacking point for the last few years. The balance is just completely nonexistent. I want to experiment and try new builds without giving up any chance at making a decent character for red maps/uber bosses.
"
yeknoms wrote:

Hopefully, GGG caters to the right core audience and continues improving on build diversity, depth, and QoL for those players. Viable build diversity at end game has definitely been the lacking point for the last few years. The balance is just completely nonexistent. I want to experiment and try new builds without giving up any chance at making a decent character for red maps/uber bosses.

Whats this "majority?" The 15k who play all league? You think Blizzard cares about those at all? They had over a million people try the beta.

D4 is definitely a threat to the 100k that show up for 1-2 weeks at a league start, though. The fair-weather PoE players. The ones who are not so tribalistic as to cut their nose off to spite their face and refuse to play D4.
Last edited by Destructodave on Mar 24, 2023, 5:59:29 PM
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
yeknoms wrote:

Whats this "majority?" The 15k who play all league? You think Blizzard cares about those at all? They had over a million people try the beta.

D4 is definitely a threat to the 100k that show up for 1-2 weeks at a league start, though. The fair-weather PoE players. The ones who are not so tribalistic as to cut their nose off to spite their face and refuse to play D4.

Just because 1 million people try the beta, and many more purchase and try the game, doesn't mean they will continue to after a few months or especially after a few years.

PoE has remained this good (aside from recent issues after 3.13/3.15...) due to its underlying complexity, great end-game, consistent addition of content, and generally lots of skill and item build options for players (could be improved on balance, but still lots of fun options).

If D4 endgame is also a flop on top of its boring leveling, I'd predict a growth in PoE players from bored D4 players, rather than vice-versa.
"
yeknoms wrote:

Bad news for you. Apparently flavor of the league meta builds are here to stay.

Why?

1/Because it sells. I mean they can alternately sell the MTX of these skills a lot easier if some skills are better than the others. If every build is viable, then players won't be incentivized to spend on MTX for newer skills. They can just play the same skill over and over again.

2/It keeps the game fresh. Diablo3 did this too. It forces players to go out of their comfort zone and try new stuff. It sux that your favorite skill is no longer viable but as people here often say 'git gud, scrub'.

3/I don't exactly buy this, but some veteran forum-ers here said it adds weight to your build decision. If many builds become viable then your choices won't matter anymore. The game became trivial since you can go with any skills and can still make it work (ie. clearing all contents in the game). Not sure if I understand that correctly so lemme know if I'm wrong.
"
yeknoms wrote:

Just because 1 million people try the beta, and many more purchase and try the game, doesn't mean they will continue to after a few months or especially after a few years.

PoE has remained this good (aside from recent issues after 3.13/3.15...) due to its underlying complexity, great end-game, consistent addition of content, and generally lots of skill and item build options for players (could be improved on balance, but still lots of fun options).

If D4 endgame is also a flop on top of its boring leveling, I'd predict a growth in PoE players from bored D4 players, rather than vice-versa.

D3 remained super popular for years and it wasnt even live-service like D4 is going to be.

I honestly think most of you simply cannot remember how popular D3 and RoS were. They were definitely the kings of the ARPG playerbase during their fresh years. It wasnt until the content dried up and PoE's live service, constant update model surpassed them that things changed.

But you only look at what PoE and D3 are today and forget what they were in 2012-2016. D3 was very much a real competitor during those days.

With D4 being a live-service game like PoE this time around, things are going to very much be different.

Just go look at the Steam Charts from that time period if you want to understand.
Last edited by Destructodave on Mar 24, 2023, 6:15:07 PM
"
Networm13 wrote:
"
yeknoms wrote:

Bad news for you. Apparently flavor of the league meta builds are here to stay.

Why?

1/Because it sells. I mean they can alternately sell the MTX of these skills a lot easier if some skills are better than the others. If every build is viable, then players won't be incentivized to spend on MTX for newer skills. They can just play the same skill over and over again.

2/It keeps the game fresh. Diablo3 did this too. It forces players to go out of their comfort zone and try new stuff. It sux that your favorite skill is no longer viable but as people here often say 'git gud, scrub'.

3/I don't exactly buy this, but some veteran forum-ers here said it adds weight to your build decision. If many builds become viable then your choices won't matter anymore. The game became trivial since you can go with any skills and can still make it work (ie. clearing all contents in the game). Not sure if I understand that correctly so lemme know if I'm wrong.

I'm actually fine with having some meta builds. It's just the *same* meta builds way too frequently. Buff up underused skills and mechanics (so much that they might even become meta!), and add difficulty when the game becomes too easy, but that keeps old builds still viable without removing them from the game, but not leaving them as *the best*.

Usually it is whack-a-mole like nerfing summoners or other specific skills/mechanics, which leaves 90+% of the meta the same.

We see the exact same leveling and end-game builds for years with occasionally one or two other fresh additions. Re-balance of skills are minor number changes that usually do not have a significant impact (e.g. out of a list of 40+ skill changes, we see few of them meaningfully change the best leveling or end game builds). One-shot offscreen speedrunning meta and other meta builds with the same skills and links is too common. (spark, tornado shot, burning arrow, EK, BV, CA, RF...)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info