Why Headhunter is not nerfed when Summoners are dead?

"
Aynix wrote:
"
Haverhill wrote:

However... Is it really wise to design a game where only 1-2% of the player base can comfortably play end-game content? Why not 10%? 20%? Or more?

Yes, it is. The market is already floodeed with dumbed down games for casuals. There you can find those games with "end game for 20% people or more". Paht of Exile isnt one of those and will never be. Deal with it.

Picture me as a Hollywood producer. It's time to make a film. Someone pitches an idea to me to make a movie with the dialogue completely in Portuguese, and no subtitles. He wants to aim the movie at the 1% of the people in the country who speak Portuguese fluently. How long should that show runner keep his job???

Designing a game aimed at a few hundred/thousand people, when there are tens of thousands of other players desiring more accessibility to game content reminds me of that quote from Spinal Tap - something to do with "their appeal becoming more selective..."

Seems like a great way to incentivize players like me (I'll wager good money this number is a helluva lot larger than the 1-2% no lifers) to do exactly what you recommend: buy D4 and never look back.

If the devs keep this incentive system in place, that 1-2% of no-life players will unsurprisingly become 100% of the players.

Good call...

Driving off large number of customers to kow-tow to an incredibly small number of customers is a great way to kill your business.

It's the casuals that keep this game in groceries. Piss us off at your own peril. Deal with that.
"
Haverhill wrote:

Picture me as a Hollywood producer. It's time to make a film. Someone pitches an idea to me to make a movie with the dialogue completely in Portuguese, and no subtitles. He wants to aim the movie at the 1% of the people in the country who speak Portuguese fluently. How long should that show runner keep his job???

Looks like that show would run just fine for 11 years and be the best show currently on the market.
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Haverhill wrote:

Looks like that show would run just fine for 11 years and be the best show currently on the market.

For all those other native Portuguese speakers. To the other 99% of the movie-going public, the content is inaccessible. Get it?
Summoners are most certainly *NOT* 'dead' - or even crippled.
They got checked, that is all.

But HH *does* need a huge nerf. HUGE.
Make it so that it retains *only* the bonus from the last rare killed, but for 60 seconds or more. And make it retroactive
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
Haverhill wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Haverhill wrote:

However... Is it really wise to design a game where only 1-2% of the player base can comfortably play end-game content? Why not 10%? 20%? Or more?

Yes, it is. The market is already floodeed with dumbed down games for casuals. There you can find those games with "end game for 20% people or more". Paht of Exile isnt one of those and will never be. Deal with it.

Designing a game aimed at a few hundred/thousand people, when there are tens of thousands of other players desiring more accessibility to game content reminds me of that quote from Spinal Tap - something to do with "their appeal becoming more selective..."

Seems like a great way to incentivize players like me (I'll wager good money this number is a helluva lot larger than the 1-2% no lifers) to do exactly what you recommend: buy D4 and never look back.

If the devs keep this incentive system in place, that 1-2% of no-life players will unsurprisingly become 100% of the players.

Good call...

Driving off large number of customers to kow-tow to an incredibly small number of customers is a great way to kill your business.

It's the casuals that keep this game in groceries. Piss us off at your own peril. Deal with that.

Premise is incorrect. We have power creep in this game every patch. More casual items, currency, and DPS.

Wait for full patch then builders to do their thing you'll see.

I was here with no cards, 5ex was a good season, unique didnt drop no crafting, etc and it still grew though...I had to switch to ssf when I started dropping 10 ex in a week end. It's getting ridiculously casual.

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 12, 2021, 2:55:29 PM
"
Haverhill wrote:
Picture me as a Hollywood producer.

Your analogy is a good one, but it actually shows the opposite of your point.

GGG started off a small indie director making a movie that suited their artistic vision - NOT the false set up you used in your analogy where their goal was to make as much money as possible.

And yes, much like the indie director with a passion for the grind, a great idea, and a strong core team their project gained a cult following that was hailed as 'underrated' by everyone who viewed(played) it. They got to keep their job because they are self employed and made enough money to be profitable.

And now, like some film indies, they've been bought out by the big studio. Fact is, even before the buyout the end game has been becoming more accessible. I don't know why you want GGG to appeal to the masses so hard, as Anyix posts over and over in every thread, we already have companies that do that. What makes you think that once GGG appeals to the lowest common denominator we will still have a PoE worth playing?

I swear this reminds me of people who leave their home territory or province or country because it sucks, then immediately start campaigning for the laws of their new country to more closely resemble those of the home country. It is peak idiocy.
HH costs 40 ex, clicking the necro button at the end of lab is FREE

That's why
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
Haverhill wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Haverhill wrote:

For all those other native Portuguese speakers. To the other 99% of the movie-going public, the content is inaccessible. Get it?

oh idk, anime seems to have its share of fans who are functionally illiterate in Japanese but will consume huge quantities of undubbed, unsubbed material and even understand it a little, despite the language barrier.

This is a case of a company churning out recognizable anime at the beginning, but then every 3 months they cancel two-thirds of the characters in a sudden accident at the okonomiyaki factory, the artists and voice actors have all been replaced by loyal fans, and the plot and dialogue are all being generated by Alexa.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Chris Wilson has explicitly said that he likes the idea of having "Chase Items" in the game. He's used the much cheaper bisco's ammy as an example in a past video.

I believe the short answer is that it gives a casual player on the most popular trade league to have something to strive for, aside from just grinding to max level.

I think HH is a dogsh** mechanic/item, however I fully respect why they keep it in there.
Mobile games have better trading...
Indie studios can put out great movies. However, most of the time, they suck. And even more of the time, they lose money. GGG, as a company, doesn't exist to make a great game. They exist to make money. It's not accident, however, if you put out a great game, you'll make a lot more money than if you put out a crappy game.

If you target your game at a couple thousand players rather than tens of thousands of players, you'll miss a great opportunity, no?

What GGG was when it started is irrelevant today, since it's now in the pocket of Tencent. Has been for almost 3 years now. The original visioneers (literally) sold out, and are now at the mercy of their 80% owners.

And no false dichotomies, please. I never said I wanted POE to "appeal to the masses," whatever that means. I was merely suggesting the game is ridiculously out of balance, and by fixing the problem that has gotten worse with each league, it would mean that many more builds would by competitive at end game, allowing players to play builds they really like, and not chase after some elusive meta that never works like it does on YouTube, costs a fortune to not completely build, and isn't very fun to play.

Fixing this hodge-podge design into a more cohesive product will allow more players/builds to engage with end game content on their own terms, and not chasing the "S" builds they don't much like. It also means a much larger percentage of players will be able to interact with end game content while having fun. Why would that be a problem?

I remember POE from years ago. It was a game I truly loved, even if it wasn't perfect then, either. In the past few years, however, careless feature creep has really broken the game, which means it's now only a game I like. Which is tragic, because the potential to be spectacular is definitely there, if only the devs would focus on fixing all the things they've broken the past 5 years.

In a way, I didn't leave POE (my old home territory), POE left me. I'm just saying I'd prefer them to get back to basics, tell the streamers to take a hike, and balance the game so that it's more accessible to player who would rather play builds they like instead of builds the no-lifers are forcing on the rest of us, GGG included...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info