3.11.2 Patch Notes

Each Vulkan patches keep on adding more and more stress to the CPU. At the launch of Vulkan I had a really huge performance increase, and now it's fallen back to even worse than DX11.

I'm talking about spikes and fps min / average fps during heavy combat.
The average fps and peak fps measures are irrelevant, I don't care if I'm having 200 fps or 90fps, but I do care when it drop to <20 when popping a Delirium or a Betrayal.

Vulkan initially was much less cpu-intensive than the dx11 renderer, but it doesn't seems to be the case. I notice this because PoE is so cpu-bound that my GPU doesn't change anything as it's just idle'ing and not hitting more than ~50% usage, while my CPU is locked at 100% usage (i5-4690k). I swapped my GTX 970 for a GTX 1080 today, and didn't notice a single change in performance, it's just that my 970 was sollicited at 100% when my 1080 is sollicited at ~50%.

In most games I was more gpu-bound than cpu-bound with my 970, and the 1080 provided quite a huge performance boost (~80% more fps in Black Desert Online for example).

I notice that the stutters / spikes / frametime spikes / huge fps drop in the graph (under 20) happens MUCH less when disabling engine multi-threading. Are you distributing work on more than 4 threads on 4-cores cpu WITHOUT hyper-threading? Or is it really just the synchronization of the thread's work that cause these issues, or un-even distribution of the work across workers?

These spikes and fps drop seems to have appeared around Betrayal league, at least for me. Have you looked at how cpu-heavy is the new sound engine you swapped to?

Just a few pointers from a dev's POV / sad player.
While it sounds like a lot of complaints, remember that I love you all, ggg devs, and that the reason this frustrate me is because I really enjoy this game and that these technical issues prevent me from fully enjoying the game's most exciting moment, which are action-packed screens!
at least you don't have to restart download every ~150mb or so due some error while downloading, which btw never happened before for me.
This patch fixed crashes for me. And also I noticed how textures are loading much faster than before. Thanks GGG
The new patch results in poe showing a black screen and then just crash.
Linux, proton.

"
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0082ad46).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:0082ad46 ESP:02bffab8 EBP:02bffca4 EFLAGS:00210202( R- -- I - - - )
EAX:01ccbc58 EBX:7ffdf000 ECX:00000000 EDX:02bffc8c
ESI:02bffdf0 EDI:02bffdfc
"
0x20 wrote:
The new patch results in poe showing a black screen and then just crash.
Linux, proton.

"
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0082ad46).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:0082ad46 ESP:02bffab8 EBP:02bffca4 EFLAGS:00210202( R- -- I - - - )
EAX:01ccbc58 EBX:7ffdf000 ECX:00000000 EDX:02bffc8c
ESI:02bffdf0 EDI:02bffdfc

I read somewhere it is steam problem and linux problem

related

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2934396

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2934366
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
Last edited by neohongkong on Sep 11, 2020, 2:30:45 AM
"
calelhalley wrote:
Got better load times but worse FPS

Same here.

Unplayable frame drops - but all assets load in 3 times faster. Brilliant.
Cheers, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2934366 helped me, it's working now. :)
"
at least you don't have to restart download every ~150mb or so due some error while downloading, which btw never happened before for me.

Turns our my dns was set on google. changing to automatic resolved the problem. hope it helps some1 with similar issues
Tech patch best patch! Thanks for that.
"
SteveyG wrote:
23 Gig...Damn that's gonna be brutal for people that don't have unlimited data like myself. I'll make it happen but I'm sure there are plenty of people that aren't going to be able to download that amount.

If you have a laptop, just take it to MCDonalds or something. I used to do this when I had to use cell phone hotspot and data was limited.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info