PoE's item trading system

"
Imaginaerum wrote:
"
Abekrie wrote:
I've played mobile games in 2012 that had better trading than Path of Exile.

The use of a proper auction house where people can put up items for sale and then play the game without having to worry about messaging others in the middle of a map would be nice.

Games before 2012 had exactly PoE's trading system, and those were the best. Auction houses are failures, always will be. The only way any kind of auction house should be allowed is if the item is only tradeable in a box when you're logged in and not AFK, otherwise you'll spend your time flipping items instead of playing the game. Diablo 3 learned that the very predictable way

Because flipping through pages of items on a web browser is completely different right? Implement the proper filters and you should be able to find the right item you need at the preferred price points.

The thing about an auction house that'd make it work over this current one is that you don't need to pray that the person is online and available to make the trade. Just pay the price and pick the item up with no needed interaction with the seller.

Auction houses can and have worked perfectly fine in other games. Diablo 3's auction house was just a disaster in execution and design and shouldn't be seen as an example of all because it isn't.
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
"
No changes announced, and I wouldn't expect any. GGG is ok with how the trade system currently works.

Pretty much this. Chris is stuck in 1999, so we're stuck with this trash trade system forever.

Ya, most players hear Chris saying "trading is an integral part of playing PoE", then play PoE enough to see how garbage trade-chat is, then hear Chris say "we don't want trading to be too easy", and then think "what the fuck is this trading mixed message contradiction shit!". Then GGG codes a SSF mode to completely eliminate trading, and it's another mixed message from them for another "what the fuck is GGG doing!". Either we trade and GGG codes us a working trade system or stop telling us that trading is super important and give us better quality drops and remove the 99% trash white drops.

I get that GGG doesn't want us to get T1 gear too fast but to have a last century crap trade function just boggles the mind as to why GGG pushes the "trading is integral to playing" importance but then makes trading as frustrating and tedious as possible. Great job in totally ruining trade fun.

Shit trading system that never has been improved is the main reason I don't buy mtx anymore and never will until it get's overhauled.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Maybe a map exchange system or AH is ok? I just feel trading a map is the hardest thing doing in the game.
"
qiandongyq wrote:
Maybe a map exchange system or AH is ok? I just feel trading a map is the hardest thing doing in the game.

Ive quit two leagues over this specifically.

40 messages for a single map is garbage, and with the Elder you often need ONE SPECIFIC map.
I would like to see trade improvements. Power users tend to say trading is fine but you never see one without trade companion or mercury trade doing a lot of the lifting. Some of these features should be rolled into the game.

The obvious currency trade bots actually make trading for currency pretty smooth. If you sort by new listings within a reasonable price range you'll usually get a "real" trade pretty quickly.

GGG is going to have to watch the bot problem closely because you already get bot spam for certain items (ever try to sell an Andvarius?) and it could definitely get way worse.
"
DiabloImmoral wrote:
I would like to see trade improvements. Power users tend to say trading is fine but you never see one without trade companion or mercury trade doing a lot of the lifting. Some of these features should be rolled into the game.

The obvious currency trade bots actually make trading for currency pretty smooth. If you sort by new listings within a reasonable price range you'll usually get a "real" trade pretty quickly.

GGG is going to have to watch the bot problem closely because you already get bot spam for certain items (ever try to sell an Andvarius?) and it could definitely get way worse.

Edit: Map trading late league is absolute trash and needs a fix I agree. I would love to dump my maps for 0.5-1c but that is never worth my time unless you're buying 10+ of a single map at a time.
"
Tyralion1488 wrote:
I sincerely hoped they would remove the trade leagues from the game, but that didn't happen. Or maybe just not announced, so as not to cause early outcry among the casuals

"SSF are the dedicated players and trafe league is for casuals."

lol.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
It seems the only system people can come up with is an auction house system.

I'm going to suggest a hybrid barter system here as a potential way in which I could see trading becoming a fun experience but it will likely be unpopular. But it is here as a counterpoint or alternative. This is based on an old MMO I played called silkroads online which was the most fun I had trading in any game. (Really showing my age here)

Basically you would setup a shop in a populated area with limited sale slots and players would have to trade in person at your shop. Also you had to be online to use it. The benefits of it was it involved active planning on where to place your shop, and what to sell based on the location. Your shop acted like a NPC vendor and required no actions for the seller aside from stocking and setting up shop.

The overall downside in terms of modern gaming of this is you would essentially have to AFK a shop when not playing which is a very dated concept.

I could see a similar system adapted into PoE with limited automatic trading where you have a shop in your hideout accessible through social by party/guild or maybe a new shop categories list where you choose to be listed. Your shop has a limited number of automatic trade offer slots that you can fill, and then your normal seller's stash tab. So that way you can automate small transactions but if you want to buy a specific unique you can do it the current way by messaging through PM. But the coolest part would be the option to visit various hideouts and try to find unlisted deals in player's shops which is the closest feeling to actually bartering instead of this current system of PM which is essentially an automated system with manual inputs to help prevent bots (which is really doesn't).

I think something like this would benefit PoE for a few reasons:

1. It would give players a reason to visit random player hideouts and appreciate them, and potentially get item rewards at same time.

2. By automating small transactions it improves overall player experience by more seamless mapping/etc.

3. I don't think limited automatic trading would break the economy as bots have already circumvented the manual trade system and abuse it so the impact would be small.

4. By creating the social incentive to trade through finding unlisted items it creates social interactions and reputed sellers. All of a sudden you can be recognized for what you sell and it creates a fun game structure or end reward to targeted farming.

TL;DR A combination of trade systems with limited automation, player shops and incentive to visit hideouts for unlisted item deals would drastically improve the PoE trade experience. Even just having player shops accessible through hideouts would be a good start.
"
Sigrosa wrote:
It seems the only system people can come up with is an auction house system.

I'm going to suggest a hybrid barter system here as a potential way in which I could see trading becoming a fun experience but it will likely be unpopular. But it is here as a counterpoint or alternative. This is based on an old MMO I played called silkroads online which was the most fun I had trading in any game. (Really showing my age here)

Basically you would setup a shop in a populated area with limited sale slots and players would have to trade in person at your shop. Also you had to be online to use it. The benefits of it was it involved active planning on where to place your shop, and what to sell based on the location. Your shop acted like a NPC vendor and required no actions for the seller aside from stocking and setting up shop.

The overall downside in terms of modern gaming of this is you would essentially have to AFK a shop when not playing which is a very dated concept.

I could see a similar system adapted into PoE with limited automatic trading where you have a shop in your hideout accessible through social by party/guild or maybe a new shop categories list where you choose to be listed. Your shop has a limited number of automatic trade offer slots that you can fill, and then your normal seller's stash tab. So that way you can automate small transactions but if you want to buy a specific unique you can do it the current way by messaging through PM. But the coolest part would be the option to visit various hideouts and try to find unlisted deals in player's shops which is the closest feeling to actually bartering instead of this current system of PM which is essentially an automated system with manual inputs to help prevent bots (which is really doesn't).

I think something like this would benefit PoE for a few reasons:

1. It would give players a reason to visit random player hideouts and appreciate them, and potentially get item rewards at same time.

2. By automating small transactions it improves overall player experience by more seamless mapping/etc.

3. I don't think limited automatic trading would break the economy as bots have already circumvented the manual trade system and abuse it so the impact would be small.

4. By creating the social incentive to trade through finding unlisted items it creates social interactions and reputed sellers. All of a sudden you can be recognized for what you sell and it creates a fun game structure or end reward to targeted farming.

TL;DR A combination of trade systems with limited automation, player shops and incentive to visit hideouts for unlisted item deals would drastically improve the PoE trade experience. Even just having player shops accessible through hideouts would be a good start.

This idea, and many other variations on it, have been suggested many times in the past. Sadly, GGG isn't interested in any of them.

In other words, the trade system isn't the way it is because GGG hasn't thought of other ways to do it, it is the way it is because it's what they are satisfied with.
- here's my sig
"
qiandongyq wrote:

If they make it so you can't trade currency for currency, most of the concerns around bots largely evaporate. You can still trade the way we do now for that sort of thing, but most other items would be perfectly fine on an AH.
Tired of trolls? Ignore them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1473168

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info