What does it mean "chance" in POE?

"
GreyLensman wrote:
"
I'm saying that if the "chance" is not described and not known is initial and final state of that chance function counter (if it exist) in some circumstances may never be recalled (in case of specific gems onnections).

This sounds like you are saying that, if the player does not know what the probability is, then the code can't know either. Since that makes no sense, I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you.

I'm only saying that "code" may simply work wrong due to some circumstances (and my observation) and only what I (as a player) would like to know - is how the "chance" is working.
Last edited by neosphoros on Oct 25, 2019, 7:37:17 AM
"
Llama8 wrote:
I believe that "chance" in PoE relates solely to the probability that a player will engage with non-ferrous metallic headgear if RNG doesn't go their way or if they don't understand how a mechanic works (including aforementioned RNG). Said probability is considered lucky (or unlucky depending on how you view it) if a one-in-a-thousand event (item drop, boss appearing in delve, etc) doesn't occur on the first try.

So... waht does it mean for example: 40% chance "of something" and what is the different between: "70%"?
Last edited by neosphoros on Oct 25, 2019, 7:43:31 AM
"
neosphoros wrote:

So... waht does it mean for example: 40% chance "of something" and what is the different between: "70%"?

It means pretty much what the common usage of the phrase means. If you had a 40% chance to hit with an attack, an average of 40 out of 100 swings would hit & deal damage, the other 60 would miss.
"
Llama8 wrote:
"
neosphoros wrote:

It means pretty much what the common usage of the phrase means. If you had a 40% chance to hit with an attack, an average of 40 out of 100 swings would hit & deal damage, the other 60 would miss.

If so... it would means that "chance" is acumulating by counting number of hits and it may nothing to do with single strike which is oposite to what cimmerian32 already wrote:

"There is no accumulation of rolls taking you closer to your goal. there is no default pity-timer. Every throw is a new throw, and you might get what you want, you might not."

That is why somebodys competent should explain how the chance work.
That’s not what he said at all. Chance is chance. It doesn’t get influenced by previous instances. Shagsbeard made a joke about dice at the beginn8ng of this thread but that is how chance works. Get a die. You have a 1 in 6 chance to roll a 1. Your next roll doesn’t care if you rolled a 1 last roll or not. It’s always the same chance. That’s a universal definition of chance. If you have a 10% chance to blind on hit, pretend you are rolling a 10 sided die. Every time you hit, roll the die. If you get a 1, you blind. Anything else, you don’t.

You seem to be trying to make “chance” mean something it doesn’t.

Don’t be confused by the evasion example. That was showing a an example of system that in fact is not chance based but entropy based.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
That’s not what he said at all. Chance is chance. It doesn’t get influenced by previous instances. Shagsbeard made a joke about dice at the beginn8ng of this thread but that is how chance works. Get a die. You have a 1 in 6 chance to roll a 1. Your next roll doesn’t care if you rolled a 1 last roll or not. It’s always the same chance. That’s a universal definition of chance. If you have a 10% chance to blind on hit, pretend you are rolling a 10 sided die. Every time you hit, roll the die. If you get a 1, you blind. Anything else, you don’t.

Don’t be confused by the evasion example. That was showing a an example of system that in fact is not chance based but entropy based.

forgive me but...

H O W
D O
Y O U
K N O W ?

(if it is not described)

Chance can be everything and nothing.
Last edited by neosphoros on Oct 26, 2019, 7:08:25 AM
It sounds like you just want GGG to publish the detailed logic for all routines in the code where an outcome is determined by some combination of parameters and calculations. From other posts, I have gotten the impression that you don't really trust developers, so I imagine you would also want to see the code, just to confirm that it's really doing what they say it's doing.

This thread belongs in the suggestions forum. And I imagine you don't really want everything, so you probably want to give them your list of what you do think players need to know.

Good luck!
Last edited by GreyLensman on Oct 26, 2019, 7:49:28 AM
"
GreyLensman wrote:
It sounds like you just want GGG to publish the detailed logic for all routines in the code where an outcome is determined by some combination of parameters and calculations. From other posts, I have gotten the impression that you don't really trust developers, so I imagine you would also want to see the code, just to confirm that it's really doing what they say it's doing.

This thread belongs in the suggestions forum. And I imagine you don't really want everything, so you probably want to give them your list of what you do think players need to know.

Good luck!

Mate. Ofcorse that I do not trust devs... why should I? Because there is something hidden in game (which not should be) which can be a form of players manipulation? There is definition of hit, attack, spell, luck... and hundreds different even less usefull things. "Chance" due to appearance in every aspects in game should be the one of the most important definitions in game. Lack of this definition - is not a reason to trust.
Only thing I want - is to be sure that the rules I'm playing within - are fair.
If almost everything in the game is described... why there is no definition of a "chance"? This formula is everywhere in game so what is the problem. I do not need the code. I need description to verify with my observation.
Last edited by neosphoros on Oct 26, 2019, 9:13:40 AM
"
I do not need the code. I need description to verify with my observation.

No way you can verify without the code. Your observation could be that your coin toss came up heads 6 times in a row. You can't possibly know from observation whether that's because the odds are 100%, or some other number and you just had bad luck. The devs could even have embedded some special code that makes your odds worse than everyone else's. Go for the code mate - it's the only way to know!

Mate...there's no way we can help you here. Definitely need to either move this to the suggestions forum, or open a ticket with support.

Cheers
Last edited by GreyLensman on Oct 26, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
"
neosphoros wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:

forgive me but...

H O W
D O
Y O U
K N O W ?

(if it is not described)

Chance can be everything and nothing.
Chance is the mathematical probability of something happening. That’s how I know. I understand math and probabilities. I asked you earlier but you ignored me, but where do you see in this game the word “chance” without a number showing the odds of the chance?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Oct 26, 2019, 1:25:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info