What does it mean "chance" in POE?

What is depend on and how it is counted? Is it like a throw of a dice with amount of faces related to amount of porcentage of a chance? 50% - 2 faces - 2 pssibilities - 1 throw hit, 1 throw miss? I understand that initial state is starting with a strike, but where/when is final throw state? Is it fixed or is it variable?
Last edited by neosphoros on Oct 23, 2019, 8:51:52 AM
Last bumped on Nov 7, 2019, 5:38:33 PM
Yes... they actually have a team of people rolling dice for you as you play.
Chance can have different meanings in PoE, each of which can vary a little or a lot depending on the situation.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Rolling/throwing a dice is a programming function dummie :D
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Yes, there are little teeny tiny nanites in the code that are rolling 20 sided dice to determine the chance on all rng. The secret untold truth is that it is really much worse the nanites are using 1001 sided dice and unless it rolls the magic 1001 your luck is bad.  :)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

There are also rumors that the servers are powered by a herd of hamsters. If some of them decide to run in the wrong direction, people get crashes etc. :D
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
Look up "lucky" on the wiki. That will give you a clear picture.
KenMan
"
Grimreapin wrote:
Look up "lucky" on the wiki. That will give you a clear picture.

Actually, no. Lucky has a defined meaning in the game. Chance doesn't.
Chance in this game means that every.single.time you perform an action/try an orb/re-roll mods/have an item drop/encounter a monster (even the same monster), you are "re-casting" your chance for the desired outcome. There is no accumulation of rolls taking you closer to your goal. there is no default pity-timer. Every throw is a new throw, and you might get what you want, you might not.
I am quite frequently not so miserable as it would be wise to be - T.H. White

As playtime approaches infinity, access to content approaches unity.
- Azraeil (2014)
"
cimmerian32 wrote:
Chance in this game means that every.single.time you perform an action/try an orb/re-roll mods/have an item drop/encounter a monster (even the same monster), you are "re-casting" your chance for the desired outcome. There is no accumulation of rolls taking you closer to your goal. there is no default pity-timer. Every throw is a new throw, and you might get what you want, you might not.

If so... There might be circumstances when "chance" will never run even with 50% or more (which in theory should give every <2nd hit) due to the "wrong" initial or final state of the "chance" which will be calling by some action. This suggest that for the better playing experience - "chance" should stack, but with my observation it is not working like that.

If also there is no acumulation - meaning/sense of the "chance" loosing it own idea because like I wrote before there is a possibility that this specific "probobility" will be never "recalled". So... it is does not even matter if the chance is 10% or even 90%.

I'm asking for a "chance" because I would like to know how does it work with DPS... for example "blind gem" with Ritheous Fire. Even dmg given by Ritheous Fire is described as a DPS in the real it giving dmg over and over within whole single second and longer (every time faster when projectile speed is increased). So... how does it relate to for example "chance" of blind gem? When "chance" will be activated?
Last edited by neosphoros on Oct 23, 2019, 7:30:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info