[3.7] Crit Tectonic Slam Chieftain, Oni Goroshi SSF / League starter Passive Tree

Planned on swapping over to this from Rake's. Can you elaborate on your gem testing?(Pulv>>Close Combat etc) Updates on your experience playing the build would be dope!

"
dookleeto wrote:
Updates: The build is constantly being refined and updated so make sure to check back periodically (I will put date after the PoB link)

Disclaimer: This is not a full build guide, rather it is an alternative Oni-Goroshi tree to Rake's Tectonic Slam Equipment Guide - from League Start to Endgame which can be found here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2503553

He has written a great guide for trade league, min maxing a crit sword tectonic slam, and detailing gearing options for league starting, all the way to endgame options. For most information you should refer to his guide.

My build is using the same gear in his path of building, and adapting the tree for Oni-Goroshi, using gear I am likely to easily find in SSF (Kaoms heart is currently equipped, you can choose one of the rare chests for a budget comparison, and you can use any chest piece you find). Farming the sword itself will be the most annoying part.

My changes will mostly be contained in the Path of Building link, and We are still missing lots of changes to gems and new gems etc, so this is really just looking at the tree, and some basic gem setups.

==========================================================================

Rake's current recommendation for links are Tectonic Slam + Fortify + Melee Physical + Elemental Damage with Attacks, with some notes on the last 2 links:

Spoiler

Rage: Great Gem for Mapping when you are able to maintain your stacks most of the time. If you pick up a lot of Items or just don't like to feel the urge to play fast - skip this Gem, it's worthless if you don't maintain your Rage Stacks. If you decide to use Rage, use it together with Berserk which will provide a short but huge Bonus to Damage, Defense and Movement Speed.
Useless for Bossing where you aren't able to maintain a high Stack of Rage.

Pulverise: Good Gem to increase your Area from Tectonic Slam. It provides around 25% more Damage compared to [Increased Area of Effekt] but comes with a lesser Attack Speed and an lower Increased Area as long as you don't have other sources of increased Area. ("increased" = "more" as long as you only have one source of increased)

Increased Area of Effect: Bigger AoE than Pulverise but no Damage gain unlike Pulverise. If you use Increased Area you want to switch to [Concentraded Effekt] for very tough Bosses (as soon as your Equip is good enough, you nearly won't ever feel the need of switching). Which comes with the downside of needing to switch gems but provides a lot more damage compared to Pulverise (25% vs. 57% more Damage)

Ruthless: Provides around 46% more Damage. I wouldn't suggest it for mapping, because the damage gets inconsistent with it (only each third hit does more damage) and i prefer to be able to estimate how many hits i need before i can move on. Only recommended for Bosses where we need more Hits anyway.

Close Combat: I still don't know yet how "proximity" scales. So i wouldn't suggest it for mapping. But the 59% more Damage while beeing close to the Enemy is huge. So it can be considered for bossing if you only want to farm bosses (because it's a green Gem, recolouring is needed).

Elemental Focus: Grants 48% more Damage but disables the possibility to shatter Enemies. So i wouldn't recommend it for mapping.

Multistrike: Multistrike provides 51% more Damage (calculation below). But this comes with a big downsides.

Without Multistrike (for Chieftain):
35% to create and use an Endurance for each use of Tectonic Slam - it equals out - that means each third hit will do 60% more Damage, that means around 20% more Damage in general. Additionally each additional source of Endurance Charges generation leads to a higher Endurance Charge stack for more defense and a stronger Immortal Call.

With Multistrike:
Multistrike generates 3 Hits. But these 3 Hits only counts as one "use" of Tectonic Slam. So we will have one chance of 35% to generate a Endurance Charge for 3 Hits, but each Single Hit will try to consume one. Thus, with Multistrike we can't maintain Endurance Charges anymore and will therefore lose Defense. Additionally, the Damage gets a lot more inconsistent. It will make a huge difference on which hit we will get the 60% more Damage from a charged Slam. Math below.

tldr: I don't recommend Multistrike. There are enough Gems we can use instead.

I am currently using Pulverise & Close Combat and levelling up a few of the others to test out.

==========================================================================

Path of Building Link: https://pastebin.com/7G3479fP (updated June 12th)

Trees are in the menu at the bottom

MY BUILD v1 (tankier) - The build I will be using, dropping a chunk of dps for more survivability.
MY BUILD v2 (Vitality Void) - If you want your life and mana leech to come from the tree
MY BUILD v3 (DPS) - A version focused more on damage, that is slightly more dps than Rake's tree, and better defences too, to work better with Oni-Goroshi than his weapons.

[3.7] Rake's build - for comparison

-added levelling trees and Ascendancy order

Tawhoa -> Ngamahu -> Tasalio -> Valako

Help Alira act 2

Changes I Made:

Redesigned the tree so as not to path across to Fatal Blade and Heartseeker. I managed to keep DPS high by using nodes like Lava Lash & Dismembering.

More Life on tree 163% > 196% on tanky tree, 176% on dps tree.

Quite a lot of crit chance and accuracy nodes added to tree to make up for crappy SSF gear, you can remove some of these when you have good enough gear and put the points elsewhere. (These are in levelling trees, removed from final version).

Leech will make up for Her Embrace while attacking, There is no degen while this debuff is on you, and huge life regen when it wears off (good for Lab traps etc)

Dropped mana leech on tree, and replaced Hatred with blasphemy + warlords mark for league starting. There are many ways to replace this as you progress, warlords mark ring, or respeccing back into that node (above Vitality Void) if you prefer not to use Warlord's Mark early on. However you will need some way to get enough mana regen for main skill. Hatred doesn't give us a huge damage increase, at least in path of building, but it may be good for defense. I will need to experiment with other mana reservation options.

Other good nodes on the Tree to look at:

3 node jewel sockets, 3 available if you want them.
Berserking is a nice chunk of DPS.
Gladiator's Perseverance raises max leech rate and DPS.
Bloodletting and Brinkmanship both have reduced damage taken and worth a look.
Vigour for 1 more endurance charge
Vitality Void (specifically Life and Mana leech)
Graceful Assault gives onslaught, but quite hard to justify the points.
Bladedancer if you are at graceful assault it might be ok.
Divine Judgement and Divine Fury are OK, but not really worth it with all the other choices on the tree.

A couple of notes on Gear

The gear in the POB was bought for a Juggernaut, and it lacks some accuracy that chieftain needs, so look for some accuracy on gear, and also you will need a chunk of Dex on gear to make up for the 110 dex you lose from not pathing towards Ranger, as well as a little int. This should not be too difficult since you do not need many resists on gear due to Alira buffs, tree and Tasalio, Cleansing Water, so you should have space on suffixes.

I have added a bit of accuracy on the T5 gear to simulate this.

I have only 2 jewels equipped with 3/4 sockets available to simulate crappy jewel selection at the start of an SSF league. The other jewel socket has some stats to simulate bonuses from Chieftain (15% more damage, 40% of physical as extra fire & 50% increased life recovery rate). There seems to still be a lot of problems getting accurate numbers from PoB right now, as lots of the new stuff isn't added yet.

For more information on advanced gearing check out Rake's guide.

yea read all that bruh. look at what I asked for.
"
Masjan wrote:
"
dookleeto wrote:
"
Masjan wrote:
Does Arakali works after the Her Embrace finished? In 3.7

And if so, how it scales with the +50% chieftain buff?

I'm not sure what you are referring to, can you elaborate?

"50% increased Recovery rate of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently"

in Arakali pantheon, does it work after Oni`s

"While in Her Embrace, take 0.5% of your total Maximum Life and Energy Shield as Fire Damage per second per Level"

this effect deals fire damage over time, so after it buff from Arakali should start, am I right?

If so, how "50% increased Recovery rate" from Arakali combined with "50% increased Life Recovery Rate if you've taken Fire Damage from an Enemy Hit Recently" in Chieftain?

oh yes I am using the basic one, but I haven't seen a vessel drop yet which is strange. So honestly I have no idea, but I would assume it did. When I get a vessel I will grab that one first for sure.

"
Kazu81 wrote:
Planned on swapping over to this from Rake's. Can you elaborate on your gem testing?(Pulv>>Close Combat etc) Updates on your experience playing the build would be dope!

It is difficult to judge against the past, as the buffs to magic and rare monsters' HP make the game feel quite different, if I don't crit or have the big slam, often I will need 2 or 3 swings to kill them, but bosses have all felt very easy so far. I am currently clearing tier 8 (in ssf progressing through the atlas can be a bit slow, especially since I felt a bit burnt out after farming the sword).

The build feels fine to me in general, very SSF viable, clearing at a good speed, feels fairly tanky, but some of the legion rares feel pretty scary at times, but most of my deaths have been going through doorways in incursions. I think I need to self cast immortal call instead of using CWDT. In comparison I fought abaxoth and chayula at the same time in a yellow map breach and it was easymode, the DPS is really decent enough.

The main problem I have so far is mana regen, I don't like mana leech at the best of times, and there are lots of situations where you dont leech, obviously hexproof & no leech maps, but also some hexproof rares, doors from betrayal forts etc. I need to get myself some rings with elreon enchants to help with this I think. As a result I am still running with 40% unreserved mana just to cover this, and I still go OOM if I am not careful.

On the subject of gems, I am levelling rage, but I am not sure it will suit me at all times, but I will be testing it out. I have barely any int at the moment, so I cant level conc effect to any decent level right now, so I am levelling an enlighten instead in my offhand.

If you want to see my current gear at level 87 you can use this PoB: https://pastebin.com/Y8c8zjeN or import character Harkannon from account dookleeto, it is public.

Last edited by dookleeto on Jun 14, 2019, 9:38:10 PM
Sweet man. Great to see your progress and totally understand burnout from farming oni.

Im working my way up but honestly just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on your progression with this chieftain version beforehand before jumping in. Thank you for that.

Seen a bunch of jugg builds emulating mathils setup on poeninja so kinda torn on which avenue to take. Almost all of them are running the abyssus setup for an easily attainable jump in deeps + multistrike in their tectonic setup. Thought it was bugged ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

What are your thoughts on oni jugg in 3.7?

"
Kazu81 wrote:
Sweet man. Great to see your progress and totally understand burnout from farming oni.

Im working my way up but honestly just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on your progression with this chieftain version beforehand before jumping in. Thank you for that.

Seen a bunch of jugg builds emulating mathils setup on poeninja so kinda torn on which avenue to take. Almost all of them are running the abyssus setup for an easily attainable jump in deeps + multistrike in their tectonic setup. Thought it was bugged ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

What are your thoughts on oni jugg in 3.7?

I have never played a jugg, mostly I play spellcasters so I wouldn't want to express an opinion. Chieftain seems to have a lot of synergy, and is pretty well suited to SSF, which is why I decided to try it this league.
Hey, thanks for the guide!

I rolled this as Jugg but am debating switching over to Chieftan.

Jugg has a lot more damage in the PoB, but as far as I can tell PoB doesn't take into account the more damage from the Ngamahu or Valaku ascendancy. Specifically with Valaku, do you think you are getting the full 15% most of the time?

Have you tried fitting Blood Rage into your setup? I'm hoping the Chieftain regen is enough to make it feel good - Jugg already struggles enough with Her Embrace degen.

Oni-Goroshi really begs for an Abyssus. With how rippy Legion is, do you think Chieftain can handle one or would it be better to find damage elsewhere?

"
Kazu81 wrote:

The tree Mathil used is very similar to Rake's. I'm pretty sure you'll do better with the trees here regardless of going Jugg or Chieftain (<3 dookleeto). On stream he also said if built this league he'd go Chieftain, so take that for what you will.

cheers!

"
bndggl wrote:
Hey, thanks for the guide!

I rolled this as Jugg but am debating switching over to Chieftan.

Jugg has a lot more damage in the PoB, but as far as I can tell PoB doesn't take into account the more damage from the Ngamahu or Valaku ascendancy. Specifically with Valaku, do you think you are getting the full 15% most of the time?

Have you tried fitting Blood Rage into your setup? I'm hoping the Chieftain regen is enough to make it feel good - Jugg already struggles enough with Her Embrace degen.

Oni-Goroshi really begs for an Abyssus. With how rippy Legion is, do you think Chieftain can handle one or would it be better to find damage elsewhere?

"
Kazu81 wrote:

The tree Mathil used is very similar to Rake's. I'm pretty sure you'll do better with the trees here regardless of going Jugg or Chieftain (<3 dookleeto). On stream he also said if built this league he'd go Chieftain, so take that for what you will.

cheers!

Definitely noticed degen issues with jugg, i swapped over to chieftain to compare and it's a much easier ride leveling up. Thanks for the headsup regarding what he said on stream.
Last edited by Kazu81 on Jun 17, 2019, 2:41:55 AM
Could you maybe go over why you're using phys as extra lighting and cold on the amulet instead of as extra fire? Because of the high fire scaling that would make a lot more sense to me.
how you survive with the embrace, is starting to boring the build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info